New pump needed

MiaOKC

Apr 15, 2012
Oklahoma City, OK
Need advice on replacement pump please. This season has been one thing after another and I'm ready to just throw money at the problem so it just works consistently, but hopefully not too much money. :p
Current pump is a 1hp Hayward Super II, hooked to a Pentair Intellichlor and an Intermatic Timer. I understand I can get a Hayward Super II VS Motor Upgrade kit and try to replace just the dry end of the pump but honestly, think I'd rather have a pro deal with it. I had been kicking my motor on with a screwdriver and luck ran out on that tonight in a sparky blaze of glory - luckily my screwdriver was insulated. :oops: I got a quote to replace the motor with another fixed 1hp motor and it was about $680, but idk if the pool company can get the VS motor replacement, they might have to replace the whole thing so I'm looking for suggestions on that. Have a Hayward Sand filter FWIW.

Also, do you think I can keep it clear if I run my polaris 9550 robot as much as possible and add chlorine manually? Worried about getting swampy while I wait for someone to come out in the next few days.

Also, do you think I can keep it clear if I run my polaris 9550 robot as much as possible and add chlorine manually? Worried about getting swampy while I wait for someone to come out in the next few days.
Definitely add LC. The robot is a good idea, Another concept is to purchase a sump pump at Home Depot or via Amazon and simply place it in the shallow end and run the exit hose to the deep end to create circulation.
If the pool is not too deep you can reverse that setup but some sump pumps only have a 10ft cord so that could be an issue placing it in deep water.

Reactions: MiaOKC
I'm looking at a Hayward Tristar VS as a replacement. I think I could DIY this (Pool Co's are booked waaaay out and we want to swim!) but the electrical component has me hesitating. How do I tell what voltage wiring I have into my current pump to make sure I match the voltage settings needed to be made in the new pump?

It is best to look at the circuit breaker where the current pump is connected. Also, the pump motor may have a tag on it stating voltage. Is should be 220v but always good to verify. The electrical part is quite straightforward. Maybe post a picture of the current wiring. Also, you have to ensure your copper bond wire is connected to the new pump.

You may need a new conduit fitting that connects at the pump. They usually break when you try to remove it. You should be able to remove the electrical cover from the motor (ensure CB is off), snap a picture of the wiring for future reference, remove the wiring and the conduit fitting and reattach to the new pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.