New pump advice

Jul 17, 2014
Lexington, NC
My 2500 gph intex cartridge pump has died. I can replace this pump with one just like it for $88 from Amazon. being on a tight budget this is the most attractive option. But every year for the last 5 years I've talked about upgrading to a sand filter pump. My question is whether it is worth the extra money to go to a sand filter pump or should I stick with the cheaper cartridge pump? Then, any recommendations on a sand filter pump for under $200?

Reactions: hugomaha
I`m having a similar dilemma.

Although I have a smaller pool, by the sound it´s making, I anticipate that my 530gph Intex pump is dying any minute now.

Also, I´d like to upgrade to a more powerful pump and I don´t know if I should still go with a cartridge pump or step up to a sand filter.
Would the sand filter be overkill for this volume of water?

Also, how´s that Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim holding up with the cartridge filter?
Does it actually pick up debris at water level?

Hugo

I started with a 12' Intex, then moved up to a 14'. I got sick of the Intex filters clogging and leaks everywhere so converted everything to in-ground hardware including the pump, sand filter, and heater. This is my 3rd year on this equipment and I upped the size again to 15'x48". It's running great.

IMG_3257.jpg IMG_3256.jpg

Reactions: hugomaha
We had the 14 inch Intex 2800 gallon pump for our 18 X 48" ultra frame pool and everything was great for 4 summers. Last summer would have been the 5th but we never did get the pool clear - not sure if sand needed replaced or if the salt water generator stopped working or both. But pump was circulating just fine. Took the pool down after last summer as it was rusted through, not sure what we will do this summer. But fwiw we had a positive experience with the intex sand pump. Not sure how it compares to hayward. If we get another intex pool I'm going to change the sand and see what happens. You're supposed to change it every 5 years so it wasn't quite time but close.

You don’t need to change the sand. It’s already thousands of years old and it doesn’t wear out. You may need to deep clean the filter to rinse out any debris trapped at the bottom. You can find the instructions in Pool School.

You don’t need to change the sand. It’s already thousands of years old and it doesn’t wear out. You may need to deep clean the filter to rinse out any debris trapped at the bottom. You can find the instructions in Pool School.

Really? I've read in lots of places to replace every 5 years. If we get a new pool I have to figure out something because we couldn't get the water clear last year but it was great 4 years before that.

The only time you need to replace sand is when it has been compromised by vacuuming flocculant to the filter instead of to waste, after converting a Bacquacil pool to chlorine, or if extremely high calcium levels have caused the sand to form hard clumps that cannot be broken up with deep cleaning. These are not common occurrences. Most pool owners with sand filters only need to deep clean the sand once a year to flush out trapped gunk and reset the sand bed.

@wizardmt70 I would upgrade to a sand filter and pump. If you plan on up-sizing your pool in the future I would go with at least a 150lb sand filter and a 1 hp 2 speed pump. If you plan to stay with intex for a while I would get their large sand filter/pump combo.

The only time you need to replace sand is when it has been compromised by vacuuming flocculant to the filter instead of to waste, after converting a Bacquacil pool to chlorine, or if extremely high calcium levels have caused the sand to form hard clumps that cannot be broken up with deep cleaning. These are not common occurrences. Most pool owners with sand filters only need to deep clean the sand once a year to flush out trapped gunk and reset the sand bed.

@wizardmt70 I would upgrade to a sand filter and pump. If you plan on up-sizing your pool in the future I would go with at least a 150lb sand filter and a 1 hp 2 speed pump. If you plan to stay with intex for a while I would get their large sand filter/pump combo.

Interesting. To be honest I kind of wondered how sand would go bad. Will have to try this. If we don't get another intex pool, I was going to give the pump to a friend who has one, so one way or another, we;ll see. I really suspect it was my chlorinator that wasn't up to snuff.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.