New Pool Won’t Balance

Br09891

May 14, 2023
Maryland
We built our pool in October. Since we have opened it we can not seem to get the PH to stop spiking. We can get it lowered with Muriatic Acid 29% but it comes back in a couple days. On another note, we are also starting to see some discoloration (lightened ring) in the deep end. Pool is 25k gallons and we used Marbletite finish. Salt Pool. Here are the current readings

PH -8.8
TA 110
CA 50
Chlorine - 3.6
CH - 400

Welcome to TFP!!! :shark:

We built our pool in October. Since we have opened it we can not seem to get the PH to stop spiking. We can get it lowered with Muriatic Acid 29% but it comes back in a couple days. On another note, we are also starting to see some discoloration (lightened ring) in the deep end. Pool is 25k gallons and we used Marbletite finish. Salt Pool. Here are the current readings
It may take 12-24 months for the pH rise to slow in a new plaster pool.

I'd get your FC up too. Always follow this...Link-->FC/CYA Levels

Can you post up a picture of the discoloration?

Finally, if you fill out your signature, it would really help troubleshooting...

New plaster pools require a lot of acid. This could last a couple years. How much acid exactly are you adding? I still add close to a gallon a week in my 7th season. I buy 8-12 gallons or so per season.

PH -8.8
TA 110
CA 50
Chlorine - 3.6
CH - 400

PH -8.8
TA 110
CA 50
Chlorine - 3.6
CH - 400
It’ll help if you fill out your pool details in your signature. But fast pH rise is pretty normal for new plaster pool. A few other things can contribute:
1. Water falls or gets that produce aeration cause pH to rise.
2. High TA water will also cause it. If you can get your TA doesn’t to 60, it should help some as well.

Take a look through TFP recommend water levels and follow those along with getting a good self test kit if you don’t have one already. The test strips, generic kits and free pool store tests are really unreliable.

Attachments

• IMG_4355.jpeg
    IMG_4355.jpeg
    396.9 KB · Views: 14

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our newer pool is doing this too (plaster, SWG, spa spillover). We filled it in August, battled bad water chemistry for a few months due to leaks, after the leaks were repaired, had to acid wash the brand new pool (the builder said we could top off using hose water that went through our water softener causing tons of calcium buildup - bad advice), and after the refill, our water chemistry balances well. But the ph goes up quickly. I add 1/4 gal muriatic acid twice a week to keep it in the 7’s.

Both the builder and our pool service guy said this was normal for the first year in new plaster pools with SWG. Our friends with more established pools only need to add a couple cups of acid every month or after a lot of rain.

Our newer pool is doing this too (plaster, SWG, spa spillover). We filled it in August, battled bad water chemistry for a few months due to leaks, after the leaks were repaired, had to acid wash the brand new pool (the builder said we could top off using hose water that went through our water softener causing tons of calcium buildup - bad advice), and after the refill, our water chemistry balances well. But the ph goes up quickly. I add 1/4 gal muriatic acid twice a week to keep it in the 7’s.

Both the builder and our pool service guy said this was normal for the first year in new plaster pools with SWG. Our friends with more established pools only need to add a couple cups of acid every month or after a lot of rain.
The water softener wasn’t bad advice. Its supposed to remove calcium.

Reactions: Mdragger88

How do your friends chlorinate? If they are using the pucks, they have acid in them which might be why they seem to not add much acid. And/or, if they have fiberglass or liner pools they would not see a huge increase in pH.

The water softener wasn’t bad advice. Its supposed to remove calcium.

When we did the initial fill after build was complete, the builder specifically said to bypass the softener because the salt in the water will cause scale. Whenever I’d refill from the pool leaks, I would top off without bypassing the softener. Next thing I know, our pool feels like sandpaper and my kids’ feet would be cut up after every swim. Maybe it was a combination of the chemistry being off and the additional minerals added from the softened water.

Thankfully, we’re all good now.

How do your friends chlorinate? If they are using the pucks, they have acid in them which might be why they seem to not add much acid. And/or, if they have fiberglass or liner pools they would not see a huge increase in pH.
One of our friends has a SWG. The other uses liquid chlorine. Both have a plaster finish. Both only add a couple cups of acid periodically.

When we did the initial fill after build was complete, the builder specifically said to bypass the softener because the salt in the water will cause scale. Whenever I’d refill from the pool leaks, I would top off without bypassing the softener. Next thing I know, our pool feels like sandpaper and my kids’ feet would be cut up after every swim. Maybe it was a combination of the chemistry being off and the additional minerals added from the softened water.

Thankfully, we’re all good now.

One of our friends has a SWG. The other uses liquid chlorine. Both have a plaster finish. Both only add a couple cups of acid periodically.
I’m confused. If you bypassed the water softener, then you’re not adding softened water, you’re adding hard water, which is full of calcium. Your builder gave you really bad advice.

Reactions: proavia
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.