New Pool w/ Falls & Slide in Baton Rouge, LA

I love your outdoor shower!!!! You have hot water going to it, too, right? If so, I'm very jealous!!!! There are times out there (like now) that the cold water is just a little too cold.

Isn't it a relief to have the plaster color decided??? (unless you change your mind...... haha) But I remember once Kim locked me in on the color, a lot of stress melted away!

You're a nice one to have around the house - doing your own sheetrock repair, etc! Good job!

I love your outdoor shower!!!! You have hot water going to it, too, right? If so, I'm very jealous!!!! There are times out there (like now) that the cold water is just a little too cold.

Isn't it a relief to have the plaster color decided??? (unless you change your mind...... haha) But I remember once Kim locked me in on the color, a lot of stress melted away!

You're a nice one to have around the house - doing your own sheetrock repair, etc! Good job!

Yes, hot and cold, but hot takes a minute (like most faucets). We wanted it to rinse grass off before getting in (mainly for me after cutting grass), but also for rinsing off chlorine after swimming.

Yes, it is a relief. We looked at 6 or 7 pools and probably over a hundred pics online (many of which are very deceiving). I think the only way we'd change our mind is if we saw something else in person that we liked, but we have no plans to go looking at anymore.

I enjoy doing the things I can to save money where I can and also to learn more about how things work. I'm very lucky in that my dad taught me how to do/fix lots of things growing up and also after home ownership! I just wish I had more of his patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you want me to "lock you in" with your color? hehe I will put the key up just in case you do want to change your mind.

I so hear you on drywall work...I taped, mudded, sanded, finished, and painted our pool house 750 sq. feet one summer. NOT fun but saved SO much money! You could NOT pay me enough to do it for a living!

Kim:cat:

2ba67a019a4e3ec749ea6e5dbbbe6b5d.jpg

f4a22713678f9af48936fc13a2e61930.jpg

95a4c73b3a0243c788f1235705e85d09.jpg

Here are some of the plants we planted. I haven't had much time to add pics to my build thread. Plants look better now that our cannas are blooming along our fence line.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Here are some of the plants we planted. I haven't had much time to add pics to my build thread. Plants look better now that our cannas are blooming along our fence line.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thanks for the pics! What are the fence boards in the back made of? Are they stained at all?

It is done and covered up. If you ever go to sell the house just leave the washer and dryer and no one but us will ever know! LOL

Kim
C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

Exactly!

We're getting there slowly but surely. We finished plumbing all the equipment on Wednesday in between the gutter guys doing their thing. Then the plaster crew came by Thursday to do an acid clean on the shell. They'll probably have to do it again next week just before plaster, but we had to do it now because we're planning to build up the shell about 6" in the deep end tomorrow morning (with shotcrete)...long story, but basically I need a certain depth/height right in front of the slide so that I can stand there and catch kids coming off the slide. Then today I met with the irrigation/drainage crew to make some tie-ins from irrigation valves to the auto fill and the slide wash line. They also finished the drain pipe in the decking planters.

We finally decided on all the plant types and landscapers will be here Monday to take care of the 2 planters on either side of the falls and the top one. We're doing those before plastering to make it easier for them and to minimize getting dirt, mulch, etc. in the pool. We're going with Birds of Paradise and Cannas on either side of the falls with Sweet Potato Vine (purple and green) on top of the falls. Then, Agapanthus bordering the decking planters with a Blood Banana tree/plant in the center of each one. Finally, a Sasanqua Camellia in the center of the bed against the house with Hibiscus on either side of the Camellia. Oh, and 2 Sylvester Palms in the yard on the far left and right side of the pool.

Other things left to do before plastering are: all electrical and various stone items.

I decided to go myself today and pick up the remaining equipment items just to make sure all items were correct and delivered in time. Pics from the past few days and equipment picked up today:

Intellitouch i5+3S, Screen Logic 2, Intellibrite 5G's (3), Globrites (2) w/ niches, Pentair Automated Valve Controller, Dolphin S300i:

Acid cleaning

I think I need to add a throttle valve after the slide valve! :scratch:

Gutters added last minute to alleviate rain water on beds, shower and equipment (mainly future potential heat pump):

Ahhhhh I thought the water should be ON the slide LOL..........I wonder if you can put a cover or such over the pipe to angle it down onto the slide.

I am sure you have already checked BUT I have to ask.........will the added height under the slide make it within the legal/safe height for the slide?

I meant to tell this the last time I saw your valve boxes......scoop out as much dirt as you can then put some weed barrier or such with gravel on top of it. This will help keep it clean and clear in the future.

Ahhhhh I thought the water should be ON the slide LOL..........I wonder if you can put a cover or such over the pipe to angle it down onto the slide.

I am sure you have already checked BUT I have to ask.........will the added height under the slide make it within the legal/safe height for the slide?

I meant to tell this the last time I saw your valve boxes......scoop out as much dirt as you can then put some weed barrier or such with gravel on top of it. This will help keep it clean and clear in the future.

2 things about the slide wash line...first, the fitting was pointed straight out (horizontal), instead of down, so I fixed that. Also, I will be replacing the irrigation valve with a flow control version so that I can dial it down as needed. BUT...if I ever want to really get someone, I know exactly how. If I angled it slightly up, I bet I could hit the back patio doors!

Yes, thanks for checking though. My original design called for this depth (4'-8"), but they ran out of shotcrete late on shoot day and thought they would be able to build it up with plaster. Not the case...too much build up required. The minimum depth required by the manufacturer is 3'-6", so I should be fine.

I'll have to try that on the valve boxes...thanks for the tip!

They were able to get out this morning pretty early (before the rain) and fix the deep end. Only used a small fraction of a truck, but I think they scheduled mine before another remodel/fix. Finally got it where it needs to be so I can catch sliding kids.

Since the electrician still hasn't showed up, I went ahead and dropped the 100A supply wires along with the ScreenLogic2 communication wire and set the controller on the wall. Also set the 2 transformers for GloBrites and landscaping lights.

Pics from the day...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I finished running the supply line to the panel yesterday in between rain showers. 4 electricians showed up today for 45 minutes to run the pool light wires then left. Still no stone work getting done. We're so close to plastering if the guys would just show up and do the things they've known they had to do for more than 2 weeks now. I think I've personally done as much or more than these crews over the past 2 weeks between sheet rock repair, equipment plumbing and electrical supply wiring. I'm trying to be as patient as possible, but maybe that's my problem. I think I need to start being a squeaky wheel.

Pics from today and yesterday:

It is time to start squeaking for sure. They need to get done so we can see you and the kids going down the slide!

Well the squeaking seemed to help (I think). Electrical still isn't done (and won't be until Monday...at the earliest), but they did finish up all the remaining stone work. The concrete guys also set [loosely] the 4 umbrella sleeves in the existing concrete and cleaned/grinded off most of the excess concrete that spilled onto the coping. I don't have a picture, but the edge between the concrete and coping is now a lot better defined...looks much better. Also got the Cannas and Birds of Paradise set the WF planters and the Sweet Potato Vine set in the top planter, which I really like how it softens up the stone (as expected). I went ahead and set and connected the speaker in the far left planter before they planted that bed. In case anyone is wondering, we're doing the landscaping in stages, hence the decking planters and house bed aren't done yet. These will happen after spray deck and grading.

I also acid washed the stone that the stone guys didn't get (my fault...forgot to ask them to), then sealed all the stone on the front wall, decking planters, waterfall, steps, hand rail (top and inside) and slide rail (not much isn't sealed). I plan to seal the coping after they spray deck. After they left yesterday, I also finished out the irrigation to the WF planters and top planter, which was a lot harder than it should have been due to me forgetting to run the hose from the left planter to the top planter (through a 2" drain sleeve we installed) BEFORE they planted everything. :brickwall: Oh well, I was able to fish it down eventually...all is working now.

Also decided to give the slide a good wash (will wax later) since they are plastering tomorrow! Can't wait...didn't think this day would ever come. :whoot:

I just realized tonight though that my wheel barrow is missing. Gotta talk to PB tomorrow about that! One of my shovels walked away early on, which I let slide...not this though.

Lots of pics from the past few days...

Cut excess concrete edge so grass can grow

Slide light turned out nice...very tricky though to set the right angle in the bight sun!

Spray bottle worked the best for sealer (for me at least)

Concrete guys grinding off concrete spillage on coping...very tedious work!

Core drill for umbrella sleeves

Landscaping begins!

Acid washing (not my favorite thing to do!)

Sealing waterfall, steps and rails

Gotta figure out a better way to wash the slide!

It is TOMORROW!!!!!!!!

LOVE how the sealing really brings out the colors of the stone! My husband LOVES your pool!

The plants look great! LOL on forgetting to run the hose BEFORE the planting.....hind sight is a wonderful thing :rolleyes: LOL

Yeah anything dealing with MA is nasty!

Cleaning the slide-------spray water on it and put cleaner on the bottom of your shorts and slide down LOL DONE!

It is TOMORROW!!!!!!!!

LOVE how the sealing really brings out the colors of the stone! My husband LOVES your pool!

The plants look great! LOL on forgetting to run the hose BEFORE the planting.....hind sight is a wonderful thing :rolleyes: LOL

Yeah anything dealing with MA is nasty!

Cleaning the slide-------spray water on it and put cleaner on the bottom of your shorts and slide down LOL DONE!

Unfortunately the wet look faded away quick, but this particular sealer I wanted doesn't come in a "wet" finish...oh well.

I'll have to try that slide cleaning technique!

Just got all the glow tiles set. No one's really in the pool right now, so I'm thinking we're getting close. Image1466865313.030746.jpgImage1466865319.979051.jpg

New Pool w/ Falls & Slide in Baton Rouge, LA

Yay!! You're getting plastered! The stone looks awesome, and I agree about the wet look which will happen plenty while you're swimming! It's amazing what a difference a few plants can make too. Everything is just gorgeous! Your thread gets my husband in trouble. I'm like, "No Saturday morning cartoons for you with the kids. Look how much this guy is accomplishing! Get outside and work." Lol. He's like, [emoji12] pbbt, but he's at Home Depot now! Thanks for the inspiration you're sharing along with your pool build!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.