New Pool Under Construction - Riverside CA

It's not pretty.

The guys that did the Gunite and the Plaster came back out Friday last week. It is no fun at all to watch a guy with a jackhammer working on your 6 month old pool :?

I didn't see all the work, but here is the partially finished project. The tile guys are due out this week. I don't see any signs of water on the outside of the spa after the epoxy.

Attachments

• Repair 2.JPG
    Repair 2.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 545
  • Repair 1.JPG
    Repair 1.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 539
I think that grey stuff is epoxy.

I have no clue how they tell if the crack is below the plaster line. It sounds like they are going to put it back together and see what happens.

The only other way I can think of to check the area would require cutting the coping and tearing the Crud out of the spa wall. I'd rather wait to see if it leaks any more. I'm supposed to have a Lifetime Warranty on the shell, so I should be ok either way.

We just hit our 1 year anniversary of water in the pool (April 2).

I have a bunch of photos, but I built a new PC and all my files are a mess. I'll try to get some pics up this week. I don't think I posted anything with the Front Yard either.

Attachments

• DSCN0149 (Medium) (Custom).JPG
    DSCN0149 (Medium) (Custom).JPG
    253.4 KB · Views: 381
  • DSCN0150 (Medium) (Custom).JPG
    DSCN0150 (Medium) (Custom).JPG
    324 KB · Views: 380

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nightmare....

I'd love to see the view at night with the gas tiki torches blazing. Looks like a really nice setup, and the view is amazing!

BTW, were you planning on adding a cover over your BBQ island? We have one installed, but it is in need of a redo, including a new slab or paver area behind the patio to use for barstools. I'd really like to add a permanent roof over the island as well so friends can hang out and enjoy the pool view.

Here are some photos I took tonight. I only have a cheap Nikon Point and Shoot camera. These are taken with the Night Landscape setting. It does not look this bright in person, but you kinda get the idea.

I only have 3 of the Tiki installed. I'm going to put 3 more behind the pool and spa.

I think I can link photos like this...

DSCN0192.jpg

DSCN0195.jpg

DSCN0196.jpg

DSCN0198.jpg

DSCN0200.jpg

DSCN0201.jpg

DSCN0203.jpg

The original cover for the BBQ Island was going to be a Mexican Style Palapa. I got a couple rough estimates and it was going to be fairly expensive (I don't recall, but something near $4k). My wife is also not sold on the style of that cover. And we get a fair amount of wind up on the hill here.

Second idea was an African Reed Style, I think it looks cool and it is different. I called a local company and it was $$$$$$$$$$$, something north of $6k I think.

My current idea is an all steel/metal cover similar to the photo below. But the supports will be slid most of the way to the perimeter and made out of 4x4 tubular steel posts. The shape will be an irregular Hexagon or Pentagon. And I think I'll have the whole roof slope to the rear fence.

I'm open to other suggestions, if anyone has some :mrgreen:

Attachments

• steel.jpg
    steel.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 287
I'm going to build one sort of like a train depot roof like you have there, but with an A-frame room covered with tile similar to what is on the house. This will be done with 6x6 posts and crossbeams, and the roof will cover the BBQ side and bar side with about 2' overhang on each. I'm planning on adding a vent hood to keep BBQ smoke to a minimum. I just need to figure out the best way to anchor this because we get nasty winds during Santa Ana days, and the tile will make it pretty heavy. But, it will match up with the house and give it that Old California look.

Do you have any photos or sketches of your cover idea?

Hmm, I might need to reconsider the pitch of the roof. I didn't think about the smoke from the BBQ. If the back side is the low point (where the BBQ is located) then heavy smoke will be rolling up the whole roof to the other side...

blakej said:
Wow, this is an AMAZING pool and backyard! Great job and thanks for sharing!

2nd. It inspires me to want to run out and spend a bunch of money :). In all seriousness my pool is in dire need of replastering and new tile/coping (mine looks terrible). This post absolutely makes me want to accelerate the timing.

Nightmare-

No sketches yet, just ideas for what I'd like to get done over the summer. I was originally considering using two 6x6 pressure treated posts sunk 4' into the ground into concrete and cantilevered on either side. Now I am thinking of using 4 posts to hold this up. Once I have a better idea, I'll send a sketch.

BTW, I'm starting to think of equipment and am thinking of Firemagic, etc. How do you like your Firemagic stuff? Anything you would do different? That looks like a 40" grill head. Is that size about right? Also, looks like you have a sink there. Do you have both hot & cold water run to it? Where does the drainage go?

Thanks. Looking great!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.