Central Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
First ever pool....New ~ 9,500 gallon Hydrazzo plaster pool finished filling on Saturday night. The pool company didn't come until Monday morning. They added 2 gallons of muriatic acid, a small amount of chlorine, and what looked like a sequestering agent. I saw this on the pool camera and they didn't tell me what they put in. The communication with the pool company is lack luster. They came and started the pump on Tuesday, and it has been running since. I have been brushing twice a day and I don't notice much plaster dust (I didn't really notice it ever except for a little on the tile line. I'm not sure if there is less plaster dust with Hydrazzo because they polish it?). I tested the water last night and here were my results:
FC: 0
PH: ~ 7.0 (color was between 6.8 and 7.2
TA: 110
CH: 225
CYA: 0

From reading on here it seems like they did a partial acid start (Start-up guide says an acid start should be 3 gallons of acid for my pool size and not to start pumps until dust is gone). Seems like there is no specific start-up method they are using, so I want to come to the true experts here.

I just started noticing white foam (small amount) on the top of the pool. I read this could be because of them adding an algicide with no algae to kill (maybe they added this instead of a sequestering agent). And it also seems like the pump is running on low. Our automation is not setup yet due to backorder, so the only thing connected right now is the filter, pump, and heater. I feel a good suction from the skimmer, but the water is gently flowing over the hottub spillover. Sorry for the long backstory, but I wanted to include just in case it is useful for what I should do next. Should I go ahead and add chlorine to the pool? Are there any other numbers I should focus on at the moment besides PH and FC? I appreciate any and all help as this is my first ever pool and the pool company seems to be doing things randomly (why is all my equipment no installed YET!).

I attached pictures of the layout and a zoomed in picture of the spillover (not a great angle) to show how gentle the spillover effect is. We are having a different company install a deck around the pool so dirt in the pool is a bit of a battle at the moment.

Attachments

• Image from iOS (27).jpg
    Image from iOS (27).jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Image from iOS (26).jpg
    Image from iOS (26).jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Image from iOS (1).png
    Image from iOS (1).png
    776.2 KB · Views: 14
You need to be aware of any warranty provisions. Is the PB taking ownership of start up for 30 days? If so, you really need to let them do it because if there is an issue then they have responsibility. Conversely, if it is on you then you can add chemicals to balance water. Also, on the Hydrazzo website there should be a start up guide which you should (or the PB) follow.
As another resource, the NPC has a general guideline for start up. See attached.
The first 30 days is critical so best to discuss with the PB on who is do what and how it will be done.

Attachments

• npc-start-up-card-lsi.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
You need to be aware of any warranty provisions. Is the PB taking ownership of start up for 30 days? If so, you really need to let them do it because if there is an issue then they have responsibility. Conversely, if it is on you then you can add chemicals to balance water. Also, on the Hydrazzo website there should be a start up guide which you should (or the PB) follow.
As another resource, the NPC has a general guideline for start up. See attached.
The first 30 days is critical so best to discuss with the PB on who is do what and how it will be done.
The pool builder is handling the startup and in the contract will service the pool for 6 months. I am considering passing on the 6 months of service after startup is complete. I know to be careful with doing things myself when they are in control, but at the same time, I know they don't care about my pool as much as I do. The pool company never told me I need to water the shotcrete twice a day, they also said I don't need to brush the new plaster twice a day. Apparently the startup guy will bush enough (he has been out once since the fill). So I trust very little they do at this point so I am willing to do things on my own during this important time.

How many days without chlorine do I run the risk of algae? And are there any other things I need to consider? The Hydrazzo startup is the same as the NPC startup.

Since you are on day 4 (or 5) they should be adding CYA. Without CYA any chlorine you add will quickly be consumed. I would try to be home when they come to service and ask them next steps. Also, don't let them put trichlor pucks in the skimmer. Because they won't start the SWCG until they add salt, you will need to manage with liquid chlorine or with trichlor pucks. Buy a floater if you need to add pucks.

Since you are on day 4 (or 5) they should be adding CYA. Without CYA any chlorine you add will quickly be consumed. I would try to be home when they come to service and ask them next steps. Also, don't let them put trichlor pucks in the skimmer. Because they won't start the SWCG until they add salt, you will need to manage with liquid chlorine or with trichlor pucks. Buy a floater if you need to add pucks.
I agree with you 100% that should be adding CYA. I am planning on adding just chlorine myself for now knowing that it will be consumed quickly, so I can avoid algae and also avoid the pool company knowing that I am adding anything (in hopes not to void my warranty). I have new chlorine that I will continue to use until the 30 day mark for salt.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.