New Pool project in Miami Florida

Sep 25, 2017
MIAMI
Hello Everyone,

1st let me say that this forum is extremely helpful so I have a few questions I'd like to ask. I'm looking at starting this new pool project so here are some of the specifics.
1. Large yard with plenty of space and approximately 7.5' of access on the side of the house. Can ask neighbor to remove fence if needed.
2. Looking to build 15' x 30' rectangular pool with walkout on one end and sitting bench on the other.Possible water jets on one side of pool.
3. Including heater (heat pump), salt chlorinator, variable speed pump and travertine deck

Here are the quotes I've gotten.

1. Pool as described above minus the heater $26.5k. so another $5k for the heater would be around $31.5k. This includes 3ft of travertine all the way around the pool

-Pool: 15X30 $ 22,900.00
-Heat pump (Heater) 120K btu’s 5,000.00
-400sqft of 6X12 travertine pavers 2,800.00
-Salt system 1,600.00
-2 Deck jets 800.00
-1 LED Reg color light 600.00
-Permits (included)
-Child safety net (not included)
-Total this project: $ 33,700.00

Here are my questions.

1. I'm considering doing this buy owner since I've built a couple of homes in the past. I found a service online that will provide plans and drawings for permitting purposes for around $500. Any idea what kind of savings I might see if I do this buy owner versus using contractors quotes listed above?

2. If I do decide to go by owner here are the steps that I envision and the subcontractors I think I'll need which would be the most difficult to find. Can you confirm if my assumptions are correct. Any corrections or recommendations on the contractors would also be appreciated.

a. Engineer for drawings to submit to county (Swimming Pool Design - Custom Swimming Pool Plans - Swimming Pool Plan from $488! - Negative Edge Diving Swimming Pool Plans)
b. Backhole operator to open hole and pipe trenches
c. Rebar contractor
d. concrete framing enclosure (not sure who would do this)
e. electrical contractor
f. Plumber
e. Pool plaster/diamondbrite finish contractor
g. tile conrtrator

Much appreciated

Good questions.......I considered this route for mine as well and decided against it and I'm glad I did. I might have saved $2-4K (35K pool) had I done it myself, but it would have been a total pain personally and would have taken a lot longer. Plus there's a lot of things they know and are accustomed to that I was not. Remember these companies either employ or have the crews subbed out already and don't have to search for them, hence their labor is probably cheaper than what you can get. Not to mention most PBs get their materials and equipment in bulk/cheaper than what you can buy them for. Basically their cost to build the same pool will be less than what you can build the same pool for in most cases. Even if their profit is 20-30%, there won't be a ton of savings, maybe a little. But is it worth it?

Have a buddy in my neighborhood who just went through the same thing and ended up opting for a reputable PB to do his. His take was the same....might have saved a couple grand, but not enough to warrant heading it up himself. And every area of the country is different, but those prices seem pretty good for the pool you're wanting.

*Edit....not to mention with a PB, you should get a decent warranty where if anything goes wrong, it will be covered for free for the first few years (time frame will vary). If you do it yourself and have an issue, you will be responsible for the fix yourself. That right there could eat up any savings you might get with the build.

Good questions.......I considered this route for mine as well and decided against it and I'm glad I did. I might have saved $2-4K (35K pool) had I done it myself, but it would have been a total pain personally and would have taken a lot longer. Plus there's a lot of things they know and are accustomed to that I was not. Remember these companies either employ or have the crews subbed out already and don't have to search for them, hence their labor is probably cheaper than what you can get. Not to mention most PBs get their materials and equipment in bulk/cheaper than what you can buy them for. Basically their cost to build the same pool will be less than what you can build the same pool for in most cases. Even if their profit is 20-30%, there won't be a ton of savings, maybe a little. But is it worth it?

Have a buddy in my neighborhood who just went through the same thing and ended up opting for a reputable PB to do his. His take was the same....might have saved a couple grand, but not enough to warrant heading it up himself. And every area of the country is different, but those prices seem pretty good for the pool you're wanting.

*Edit....not to mention with a PB, you should get a decent warranty where if anything goes wrong, it will be covered for free for the first few years (time frame will vary). If you do it yourself and have an issue, you will be responsible for the fix yourself. That right there could eat up any savings you might get with the build.

All great points and thanks for the reply. I don't think I'd go with a by owner build unless the difference if over $10k. Otherwise I'd opt for no headaches and a warranty as you mentioned. I'd be terrified that I missed something during the build and the pool wall would crack or something. LOL

Not sure I understand the "warranty" part or lack thereof that was mentioned. I am doing OB on my pool and the licensed subs, that I have lined up, each offer some sort of warranty on their work.
I'll ask that question while requesting quotes from the subs. Can I ask you what subs you have lined up and what part of the job they handle?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.