New Pool Owners - OVERWHELMED!

I couldn’t get out to the store recently and the last time I needed CYA I bought it from Amazon. CLOROX Pool&Spa Chlorine Stabilizer, 4-Pound 10004CLX https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PZZF9P6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_9hzjBbNCSCVCD
Not the cheapest but definitely convenient. Walmart or pinch a penny is where I usually buy it.

I use a knee high tied off in my skimmer but you could probably just tie it off to your ladder if you have no skimmer. I just kept my pump on til it dissolved.

After getting the CYA and FC adjusted you will want to use muriatic acid to lower your TA. Use the pool math app to figure the dosages. You will most likely have to do several rounds of MA additions, which will also lower your PH which you then raise by aerating the pool with the kids swimming or fountain running etc. Read how to lower TA in pool school. With a vinyl pool you don’t have to worry about your CH.

Once your pool water is balanced you need to check your FC and PH regularly. When I first started using the tf100 I tested everything else once a week, but now since my pool stays pretty stable I really only test for TA and CYA if I have to refill my pool from evaporation or the opposite if I have a lot of rain. Once you get the hang of it, it’s pretty easy.

New numbers today - didnt bother to test the CYA due to advice posted.

FC - 0
PH - 7.8

Adding 144 of bleach and 75oz of CYA. Sound about right?

- - - Updated - - -

Also - is it safe to swim while the CYA is still dissolving in the sock?

Your FC should never fall below the minimum FC as shown on [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. So you either are not dosing up to a high enough FC or your pool has algae.

What FC did you target with the bleach addition? Be sure it is at least 3 ppm above what your target level FC is based on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

What CYA are you using? 30? Then yes.

- - - Updated - - -

When you add LC you would add 3 ppm more FC over the target of 5 ppm, so dose to reach 8 ppm FC.

Your goal is that when you test the next day, at approximately the same time, your pool would have 5 ppm FC left in it. You would then dose back up to 8 ppm FC.

What CYA are you using? 30? Then yes.

- - - Updated - - -

When you add LC you would add 3 ppm more FC over the target of 5 ppm, so dose to reach 8 ppm FC.

Your goal is that when you test the next day, at approximately the same time, your pool would have 5 ppm FC left in it. You would then dose back up to 8 ppm FC.

So I need to change my target goal to 8FC to know how much bleach to add?

Yes.

Then tomorrow, if your FC when you test is under 5 ppm, you need to target higher, say 9 ppm.

Once you have the target FC in the pool, each day you simply want to add whatever the FC loss to the sun is. Without ever letting the FC go below your 5 ppm target, if you stay at 30 CYA.

Yes.

Then tomorrow, if your FC when you test is under 5 ppm, you need to target higher, say 9 ppm.

Once you have the target FC in the pool, each day you simply want to add whatever the FC loss to the sun is. Without ever letting the FC go below your 5 ppm target, if you stay at 30 CYA.

Yay! This made sense to me!! I maybe feel like I'm understanding a little bit. THANK YOU!!

So I'm reading about CYA. Its recommended here to place in a sock. I'm reading online it could be damaging to a liner and to dissolve in water first?

So much to learn. Sorry for all the questions, but I appreciate the help.

We suggest the sock method.

Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) and put the measured amount of CYA. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't put the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

We suggest the sock method.

Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) and put the measured amount of CYA. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't put the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

Got it. Hanging sock by the return and will squeeze it to speed it up.

I really appreciate you help, Marty! Hoping for better numbers tomorrow!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.