New Pool Owner

Your pool water is getting cloudy because you need to SLAM the pool. You have a CC of 1 which indicates organics hence the cloudiness you are seeing.

Following. I have the exact same pool and am about a week ahead of you in terms of setup (just got the skimmer). I'll let more knowledgeably folks chime in on the test results.
FYI, everyone says CYA takes a week to show up on the tests. So, if you've added within the last week that number may come up.

I am going to run the tests again tonight to see if it is the same. As it was my first time using the kit I may have miscalculated a couple things. Still learning. The wife said it was cloudy, but it didn't seem that way to me, a little dirty perhaps but didn't seem too cloudy to me and she said she vacuumed it today and said it looked fine. I will check the water and run a full test again before I jump the FCs that high.

If the numbers are the same, does that mean the SWG isn't doing its job yet, or perhaps the CYA hasn't fully sunk in?

Your SALT and CYA have to be right for the SWG to work.

Please post a full set of test results so we can get you set right and it doesn't turn if your numbers are off. :goodjob:

Ok here are my latest numbers after bumping the FC a good bit up to stop anything that may have started. pH is still a touch low, but I think everything is looking good. Will keep monitoring things to make sure the SWG keeps up. It is now running 4 or 5 hours during sunlight hours.

Cl 4-5
BR 6-10
pH 7.2
CYA 70
TA 60
FC 8ppm
CC .5ppm

You don't have a bromine pool so don't look at that.

What does your water look like? Did you SLAM the pool and have you passed the OCLT?

I didn't perform a SLAM. The water wasn't cloudy in my opinion and it is actually been pretty clear once I back flushed the filter and the wife vacuumed it good. The glass I filled up to check was as clear as drinking water and it looks perfectly clear in the pool. So the "cloudiness" may have been from sun screen and simple dirt.

I just checked the numbers again today and they are pretty consistent.

Cl 5ppm
pH 7.2
CYA 80
TA 80
FC 7 ppm
CC .5 ppm.

I had a duh moment during this test as well. I was been reading the "Add a heaping scoop" for the chlorine test, and was wondering a scoop from what? Then I was thinking it would be nice to have something to stir things up. Well today I looked at the handle of the case and was wondering, hey what is this lil blue thing. O cool a stirrer... O WOW even cooler a bloody scoop!!! LOL I was just putting a lil of 0870 in the cap and dumping it into the chlorine container.

The salt still shows low with the strip test I have, but the SWG isn't saying too low. I will add 20 lbs to it to get that up, though as mentioned the tester doesn't give me much confidence as a couple didn't even register.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.