New Pool Owner With ZERO Pool Knowledge

Checked this morning:

FC: 10.5
CC: 2

Based on PoolMath, I brought the FC level up to 12 last night with bleach. It looks like it held pretty well overnight. Now I will hold the SLAM level and wait for the CC to come down and the pool to *hopefully* clear up!

The Sytem 3 filters aren't that bad to clean. I use a small electric pressure washer with a fan nozzle to spray the filters. Don't worry, the pressure is WAY dialed down, and is no more than a hose nozzle, just more spread out. In total, it takes me about 25-30 minutes to clean the filters. I'm just not sure what the middle antenna-type thing is for.

Results from this afternoon:

FC: 2
CC: 8

And the see-saw battle continues...

My pump is a two-speed pump. When I am SLAMMING and running my pump 24/7, should I be running it on high or low speed? How do I know if the low speed is too low? My PSI at high speed is ~18 psi. At low speed, its ~3 psi.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pet store didn't have an ammonia test. I've now put 10 gallons of bleach into my pool today and it won't register more than a FC of 2. Is it normal for the delayed ammonia response? When I first started SLAMMING, I was getting FC in the 10-12 range.

Take this as very low quality information, but I think I remember somewhere around 8-10 ppm of FC required for each ppm of ammonia, so 25-30 ppm of chlorine. If I'm remembering correctly, that means you're getting close... other posters reported 4-8 ppm of ammonia on their first test, and that was after adding a fair amount of bleach already.

Resist the urge to add it all at once :D

Wow WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I woke up this morning to a pool that I could actually see the design off the liner in the bottom! Thank you everyone for all the help! Continuing to SLAM until it completely clears! I think I'm up to around 40 gallons of bleach!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.