New pool owner - Trying to get the numbers right

If others haven’t said it before make absolutely sure you finish the SLAM before your raise your CYA to the SWG levels. I had to SLAm at high CYa when my salinity dropped on vacation and it was only the grace of a small pool that saved me from liquid chlorine bills

Reactions: LSU and SJPoe
Could well be the case. Sometimes its the simplest solutions ;)

Keep us posted !!
Still slamming since yesterday afternoon. Checking my numbers every 1-2 hours and adjusting. It's eating through some LC. It's a brand new build with 30 days on it, but I checked everywhere and scrubbed even if it didn't look like it needed it and we have zero trash in the pool and the water looks great. I'm at a loss as to why it's eating so much LC. I figured it would have slowed down pretty quickly. Going to stick with it and keep adding LC to stay at recommended shock level based on the CYA. We will see what the OCLT shows after tonight.

Reactions: SJPoe and Newdude
Okay, we lost 1.5 ppm on the overnight loss test last night, but then 2 hours after that reading (sun is now out on the pool) we took another reading and had a loss of 4ppm. I'm at a loss on that. I realize in direct sunlight we lose ppm on the FC, but that much at the beginning of the day? That's closer to numbers we should be losing in a full day. I'm working out of town, so I can't open the Pentair filter housing to look in there until Friday, but I'm just at a loss on being so close overnight and them immediately have a 4ppm loss.

How confident are you on the CYA level ? I mean. None of us ever feel great about it, but still. Lol.

A 50 is probably good for your crazy TX UV right now, but if it was really a 30 or even a 40 you'd probably see more daily loss.

You're between a rock and a hard place because you can't raise your CYA right now for comparison.

I'm sorry I got nothing better for you. Have some well wishes instead and stay the course. :cheers:

Reactions: LSU
How confident are you on the CYA level ? I mean. None of us ever feel great about it, but still. Lol.

A 50 is probably good for your crazy TX UV right now, but if it was really a 30 or even a 40 you'd probably see more daily loss.

You're between a rock and a hard place because you can't raise your CYA right now for comparison.

I'm sorry I got nothing better for you. Have some well wishes instead and stay the course. :cheers:
The last 2 CYA readings I did myself, pretty confident they are good. We will see what the loss is tonight. I took it on the 21st and 22nd and both times it was a 40

Reactions: Newdude
A single anomalous reading is probably just that, a single anomalous reading.
However. looking at your numbers :

9pm - T-11 : 20.0
8am - T-0 : 18.5 (start of the day, 1.5ppm loss overnight - this is GOOD!! EDIT: Especially if you're in 'east' Texas, sunrise is at 7, and this was at 8...)
11am - T+3hrs : 14.5 ( loss of 4ppm, so 1.3ppm/hour) - added 40oz = 2ppm, so this is now 16.5...
2pm - T+6hrs : 12.5 (loss 4ppm, so 1.3ppm/hour )

So if you're losing little overnight, but a LOT during the day, I would question your CYA numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: LSU and Newdude

8am - T-0 : 18.5 (start of the day, 1.5ppm loss overnight - this is GOOD!! EDIT: Especially if you're in 'east' Texas, sunrise is at 7, and this was at 8...)
11am - T+3hrs : 14.5 ( loss of 4ppm, so 1.3ppm/hour) - added 40oz = 2ppm, so this is now 16.5...

So if you're losing little overnight, but a LOT during the day, I would question your CYA numbers.
We just took another reading and it's a carbon copy of yesterday. We had 1.5 ppm loss overnight again, but as soon as the sun hits we are back to eating through bleach. I'm out if town until tomorrow, so I will open up the filter housing and inspect and clean everything. So I can't recheck my CYA during a SLAM, correct? I need to go back and read and see, because it seems to me I would need to, because if the CYA number changes that changes the FC for the SLAM.

It's good, but not good enough to stop, lol. It's getting expensive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can check your CYA but generally they don't recommend raising it because then you need to add more LC to keep the SLAM level up.

Are your other parameters good ?

Crystal clear water
CC 0.5 or lower
No visible sign of algae (dead or alive)

If possible, do your OCLT after dark and before first light..I know it sucks, but at 1.3ppm loss per hour, an hour of daylight might be throwing off your results. I'd also recheck your CYA levels and let us know.

Reactions: LSU and Newdude
You can check your CYA but generally they don't recommend raising it because then you need to add more LC to keep the SLAM level up.

Are your other parameters good ?

Crystal clear water
CC 0.5 or lower
No visible sign of algae (dead or alive)

If possible, do your OCLT after dark and before first light..I know it sucks, but at 1.3ppm loss per hour, an hour of daylight might be throwing off your results. I'd also recheck your CYA levels and let us know.
Water is absolutely crystal clear, CC has been at 0.5 or lower the whole time, absolutely no signs of live or dead algae that we have found. Will recheck levels accordingly over the next day or so. We have been taking our last FC/CC readings in the evening, well after the sun is off the pool, and have been taking the morning reading before the sun gets on the pool. I think we are good, but I am just trying to be sure before we add salt and embark on a new adventure.

Start adding your salt in batches and getting the water up to 3500ppm. The salt will not effect the SLAM.

9 times out of 10 it takes more patience than effort. I readily admit it's easier said than done. 😁

Okay, finally passed the OCLT! We lost .5 ppm in 12 hours. We will check the rest of our numbers this morning and get ready for salt!
Awesome! Congrats on seeing it through !

Once you recheck your CYA and bring that up that will help reduce the FC burn from the sun.

Well on the way to being Trouble Free!

Episode 4 Swimming GIF by Heels

Letting the robot do some cleaning. We were pretty close to a wildfire in the forest near our area, and got some ash in the pool from it.
1000018293.jpg

Reactions: SJPoe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.