New Pool Owner - Pics

Friday Morning - Original Post Day

Saturday Morning

Sunday Morning

Monday Morning

Tuesday Morning

Chemicals

I went to a nearby pool store to get some pool equipment and I ended up getting Algae Kill. Not sure if it was the right path to take but after 2 rounds ($24 each) of the Algae Kill and lots of scrubbing and vacuuming I have the above results. I'm on chlorine tabs now but I think my numbers tell me I'm slipping a little.

TC .5-1
pH 6.8
FC .5
CC 1.5
TA 50
CYA 70

Hey Steven, your pool water is looking good but you have a ways to go.

Your numbers are telling you (cc of 1.5 ppm) that you need to do/continue the shocking process. If you haven't already please follow the link in my sig for "Shocking process".

I would stop using the tabs now, it will only add to your CYA and that is already pretty high. What is in the "Algae Kill"? Hopefully not copper...

Dear lord! I don't want to even calculate how much bleach is needed to get to shock level with a CYA of 70. I'm outside giving my pool a pep talk to help it through it's OCLT but when I go in I'll calculate.

Making progress and headed in the right direction, but like Linen said, you need to shock.

CYA thoughts anyone? Partial drain and fil to lower from 70?

Your PH of 6.8 is far too low. You can raise that by aeration or the addition of Borax (yes Mule Team Borax in the laundry section at Wal Mart). Have you read Pool School here and the BBB method? I would quit the tabs also and just stick to plain old bleach. You can use ordinary baking soda to raise your alkalinity and I'd bet that bottle of Alkalinity increaser is just that...baking soda.

You've made a good choice coming here to TFP, but you need to do a bit more reading to avoid getting pool stored. That $48 you spent for the Algae Kill would have bought you an awful lot of bleach at Wal Mart.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.