new pool owner, overwhelmed

You're where I was about a month ago. Not sure what I was doing and fighting torrential downpours with pool overflowing, which in a way was good because I was using those blasted pucks and my CYA was getting too high even with all the water replacement!
If it wasn't for this site and the advice here, I think I really would have gone insane.
I'm now using the TK2006 test kit with Speed Stir (get it, it's fantastic!) and when I read the booklet, all the chemistry scared me a bit. But using the advice I got here and the Pool Math Calculator, it's getting easier all the time. I can now guess my FC and Ph, which I test daily and be almost right on the money. I can also guess how much bleach to add, but I still double check with the calculator. I'm still testing my CYA and TA more often than needed, but that's just my way of learning.

If you look to the bottom of the calculator, there's a place where you can set goals and also put in the type and size of your pool if you don't know how many gallons it has. For Goals, I selected Trouble Free Pool's recommendations and it's a total cake walk. I promise! I just plug in my current numbers and it tells me if I need to add anything and if so, how much. My pool is crystal clear and all my numbers are good thanks to TFP!!

Being far from scientifically inclined, I can promise you, you'll understand it in short order if you take the advice given here.

Good luck and Happy Swimming!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.