New Pool Owner - Order Of Operations

feerlessleadr

Jul 9, 2022
Waxhaw, NC
Hi - I purchased a house last summer that has a 25k gallon plaster SWG pool, and kind of just coasted w/ testing and chemicals through the end of the year into Winter without any issues. When Winter hit, and my SWG went dormant, and at the previous owners recommendation, I threw in a bunch of chlorine tabs into the floating chlorine dispenser, and kind of just let it be. Now that spring is here, my water has a slight cloudy haze to it and my levels are off after testing (using the TF-Pro Salt with SmartStir), and so I know that I need to add a bunch of stuff to the water to get everything back in line (which I have purchased already), but wasn't quite sure of order of operations in terms of what to do first, as well as whether I should SLAM or not, given my levels.

First things first, here are my current levels and what pool math says I need to add to bring my levels into line (not taking into account that my water does have a slight cloudy haze, which from reading means that I most likely have algae):
FC: 1 <-- Add 2 quarts 10% liquid chlorine/bleach to bring FC to 3 (or if I'm going to SLAM, approx 2 gallons to bring to 12 w/ CYA levels at 30)
CC: .5
pH: 7.5 <-- Good
TA: 70 <-- Good
CH: 175 <-- approx 64 lbs calcium chloride to bring to 450
CYA: 30 <-- approx 9 lbs dry stabilzer to bring to 75
Salt: 2400 <-- approx 250 lbs of salt to bring to 3600

From reading the forums, I know that I should start w/ adding half the recommended amount, wait 24 hours and test again to see where I'm at, then add additional if needed. Is there a recommended order that I start adding the above items into the pool, or should I just start from the top and work my way down?

In terms of SLAM for my pool, from searching the forums, it seems that it is recommended to SLAM if you have a CC of over .5, and you have evidence of algae. In my case, since I'm at .5, should I just add enough chlorine to bring my FC up to 12 (per pool math, which I realize could change if I add more CYA first), and see what happens, or would you recommend I SLAM? the cloudiness is very faint, but it's definitely there.

Thanks for any advice, and hopefully I'm posting in the right place. If you need any additional info, please just let me know.

Welcome to the forum!
Great job on getting a quality test kit. You are on the right track. Do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and let us know what you find.
I'm performing the OCLT tonight, will report back.

Fill out your signature when you have a minute.

Remember PoolMath is just a calculator. Don't let it drive your decision making.

What's the TA and CH of your fill water?
Thanks, will update when I'm back to my computer. Here is the info on my fill water:

TA: 30
CH: 25

Question for you all, I'm doing the OCLT tonight, but just realized there may be rain showers tonight. I'm assuming that will impact and/or invalidate the test?
No effect unless it is a tropical storm that would overflow your pool.

So I did my OCLT last night, and I only lost .5 FC (8-->7.5).

There is a slight haze/cloudiness to the water, so I assume that means there is dead algae and not a new bloom? At this point, should I work on getting my levels up to their various target zones, rather than slamming?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I did my OCLT last night, and I only lost .5 FC (8-->7.5).

There is a slight haze/cloudiness to the water, so I assume that means there is dead algae and not a new bloom? At this point, should I work on getting my levels up to their various target zones, rather than slamming?
There are THREE EXIT CRITERIA for the SLAM Process. You do not meet all three.

I would continue until your water is crystal clear…

You are done when:​

• CC is 0.5 or lower
  • AND you pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less)
  • AND pool water is crystal clear with no visible sign of algae (dead or alive) on floor and walls

Thanks - I wasn't sure if that applied to me since I haven't actually started to SLAM my pool, I just raised the FC since it was super low. Should I start the SLAM process then?
Then I have no idea what you are trying to do or why.

If you want crystal clear water the SLAM Process is usually the way to accomplish that.

Just run your FC at 12 for awhile and run your pump/filter 24/7 and see how your water looks in a few days.

Last edited:
Thanks, I was following @mknauss 's advice to do an OCLT and report back from here ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

I'll do as you suggest though, appreciate it.

Once I get crystal water, is there a suggested order of operations for adjusting the other levels, or is that dealer's choice (with CYA being last)?

Why do you think CYA is last?

No order, get them all in the pool together. Just do acid and chlorine 30 minutes apart.

Get CYA dissolving, get salt dissolving , add necessary chlorine, wait 30 minutes and lower pH if necessary.

No rush on adding CH.

CYA is a mild acid so add stabilizer before you reduce pH by a lot as the stabilizer will lower pH some.

I had assumed CYA was last based on this comment, but for to know I can do everything in close proximity.
That comment was trying to say make sure you don’t have an algae problem and need the SLAM Process before you raise CYA.

No algae then get the stabilizer in the water ASAP.

Reactions: feerlessleadr
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.