New pool owner needing help!!

I have ordered the TF100 but it has not gotten here yet. Sorry I thought slam meant shock. I shocked it last night. ha ha Still learning all the lingo. I have a cartridge filter system. I am really thinking of changing over to a salt filter. I hear they are really good. and the amount of money that I am spending lately on trying to clear this pool up. I am hearing that is the way to go.

Kimma, until you have a valid set of tests there is no reason to dump anything in the pool blindly. There is no way to know if what you put in will even touch the algae without knowing what the CYA level is. ... and depending on what you added you may have bumped the CYA even higher.

EDIT - Just saw that this is a relatively new fill, I had my threads confused. Apologies. Your CYA is probably fine. Get us a full set of results and we will guide you.

For the record - what you did last night was not "shock your pool" you dumped a bunch of CL and potentially CH or CYA if you used powdered product. Shock is a product ... not a process. In the troublefree world we don't "shock" pools. We SLAM them. In order to slam you must have a good set of results and a good test kit to guide you through the process.

Let us guide you - if you plan to put chemistry in post up here what and how much. We will help teach you what it is going to do to you pool.

Do you remember what and how much you dumped in?

I think you mean Salt Water Chlorine Generator or SWG. That does not replace your cartridge filter - it is one more piece of equipment, you would need to add salt and keep track of those levels if you add an SWG.

Take a deep breath - brush the pool, run the pump and if you really really really have to put something in the pool dump a gallon of liquid bleach or liquid pool shock (they are the EXACT same thing) in the pool daily. If you are considering putting a granular product or solid product in ... DON'T.

Liquid bleach and Liquid pool shock are 100% consumable items. Any kind of granular is going to leave something extra behind - either CYA or CH and until we know your levels that could be a very bad thing.

Okay. So last night I added a small bag of the ultra shock. from HTH Before that I was reading no Chlorine at all. But was told not too because of the rust issue that I have been having. Now that the pool has cleared up tremendously from brown rusty water to a cloudy blue. I added that bag of Shock last night. I still have not gotten my TF100 kit, so just did another test with my HTH 6 way test kit that came with the pool. My Cl Br is 2.4 my Ph was 6.8 The alkalinity was (still confused on this one) 11 drops of titrant turned it red from blue., The hardness it took 7 drops of the titrant to turn it blue to red. and still my cya using that little test tube looking thing with the black dot in the bottom I still overflowed the tude with the water and the cya reagent and could still see the black dot. This one I am not so sure of. I have been trying to add pictures of what it was and what it looks like now, but for some reason it will not let me upload my pictures.:(

Ok that helps a Lot. Sounds like no cya.

The slam process is going to bring the ph up a little so let's not worry about it for now.

Are you ready to get this rolling?

OK - with CYA being zero (which is what the overflowing tube means) we are going to start with a 30 min schedule. The only thing you need to test is CL - Note that in the CL / Cr column it is the smaller of the 2 numbers. Right now you are at 2. When you post up for the time being do it like this:
TC=2

HOLD that thought. I had threads confused again.

How many gallons is your pool?

Last edited:
OMg thank you so much. You are talking my lingo and I understand what you are talking about. Okay I have some bleach here already so I will go dump in 2/3 of the bottle and then be back in 30 minutes with results. Thanks so much!!!

- - - Updated - - -

7700 gallons

Updated for your pool size ... sorry about that - was working 2 different threads with similar issues (also known as not enough coffee for me.)

TC stands for Total Chlorine. Later on when you get your TF-100 we will add FC (Free Chlorine) and CC Combined Chloramides.

Ok - 7700 gallons.

What I want you to plug into poolmath is 7700 gallons, and CYA of 0.

If you look at the bottom it will give you normal targets and shock level. Your shock level is 10

Plug the FC in as 2 (Right now we only have TC ... but that's OK, we will use FC once you get your TF100)

Now in the FC section it will show you how much bleach to add ... 93 oz. so roughly 3/4 of a bottle (no need to be super precise right now)

go through the excercize in pool math - pour the bleach in (in front of a return jet slowly) test the CL in 30 minutes and post the results here - we will analyze and talk about next steps.

No stabilizer yet.

If you add the stabilizer it will push us out of the range that we can start the SLAM using your test kit and have to wait for the TF100.

During a SLAM the only thing we add is liquid chlorine (bleach or liquid pool shock ... all the same stuff.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't worry about the pH - we will tackle that at the end.

Dose it again. That first dose should have taken it to 10. It just means the organics in the pool ate the CL up. Since the TC is 2 you don't need to hit pool math again, just add the same amount you added 30 min ago and do the same thing again in 30 min. Rinse and repeat until the CL starts coming up (around 4) - then go to hour intervals.

No problem. Keep posting results - and add some pictures. It will give us an idea of where you are and help a lot when you think you aren't making progress.

Once your tf100 is in we can dial up the cya and target higher levels. This will get you started.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.