kenmar said:
Jeez,
You guys are a PITA :)
"Put your specs in your sig..."
"Post a full set of results..."
"Post pics..."
OK, here you go...
And you expected anything less?
The water is sooo clear I think I see sunglasses in the deep end 8) ... Don't you know that will contaminate the water and you'll have to do a complete water change?<<KIDDING>>

Can you drop the PH some more? 7.8 is on the high end and you'll be much less likely to have PH swings if it's in the 7.4-7.6 range :lol:

frustratedpoolmom said:
Sweet....no daytime shots? :mrgreen:

You see, I live vicariously thru the forum pics.... :oops:

Don't fool yourself! We all do!

We need more pics or we'll have to suspend your posting abilities! :twisted: Someone will be over to remove all the vowels from your keyboard! :lol:

Hi All,

I am very new to this...
My current tests show

FC: 3
CC: .5
TC: 3.5
PH: 7.6
TA: 100
CYA: ~28
Temp: 82
Clarity: Clear

My question is, is the .5 CC a problem?
Is this reason enough to shock?
Will it go away without shocking?

Thanks,

-Ken-

I know pool school teaches that you should shock when CC levels rise above .5.
What is does not say (and that I am assuming) is that a chronic CC level of .5 is fine.
If I understand correctly, the existance of any CC indicates that CL has combined with some organics.
So, at some point, should I shock the pool get rid of it altogether?

guess what I am asking... in a actively used pool, is a chronic CC of .5 OK?

-Ken-

I almost always have .5 cc's. some pools fight algae more than others from what I've seen JasonLion say. I am adding borates probably today to see if that helps with my chlorine consumption (not that it's too bad, just one of the benefits I hope to reap with borates).

Having a very low level of CC all the time is fine. As reebok said, that happens in some pools more than in others. If it bothers you, instead of shocking, you should increase your normal day to day FC level just a little.

CC is constantly being created and broken down. Raising the FC level just a little will speed up the rate at which CC is broken down, which will lower the level that you routinely see.

Technically, you want CC to be below 0.4. The standard way of using the test shows levels above 0 and up to 0.5 as 0.5. In practice they are almost always much closer to 0 than to 0.5, so we call that acceptable. There is another way to do the test so that it measures CC by 0.2. If you use that method you want CC to be 0.2 or lower.

Having a very low level of CC all the time is fine. As reebok said, that happens in some pools more than in others. If it bothers you, instead of shocking, you should increase your normal day to day FC level just a little.

Thanks, your response was what I was hoping for.
I really did not want to dump a huge amount of bleach in the pool unless I really had to.
I'll just raise the amount to bleach I am putting in the pool daily a little bit and monitor for changes.

Thanks again.

-Ken-

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.