New Pool Owner in Need of Help - High CYA!!!

I should have known when I was in there buying a test kit. They told me to buy one that only tested for FC, PH, and TA. I told them that "shouldn't I be testing for CC, CYA, CH, etc. ?". They said OH No. Just make sure you FC and PH are fine. Even said don't even worry about TA.

Then I found this site and bought my test kit where I can test for just about anything!!

I will say that I have heard that the PH test can be somewhat inaccurate with a higher FC level. Is that true?

Maybe the store is assuming that if you can do your own testing, they will not be able to sell you the stuff that messed up your pool. ...or they are assuming customers are too dumb to do the testing?

Whatever the reasons, if you have a test kit, you can make your own decisions and live with your own consequences, good ones (clear water, less chemicals, lower costs) and bad ones (algae...). Not the bad consequences the pool stores tend to produce, poor clarity, high costs, dependency on the pool store....

Just a few more questions if you all don't mind.

1. I have been using original off brand bleach (96 oz. jug) that is 6 percent sodium hypochlorite. I've never really used bleach that much, but what I do remember is that is was usually a whitish color. This bleach is clear with a very faint greenish tint. Is there a right and wrong bleach to use?

2. When testing for Chlorine, it says to add one heaping scoop of the powder. I assumed that meant with that 0.5 gram scoop that come with the kit. Is this an exact science with the "heaping" scoop. What I consider heaping might be different from someone else.

3. Do I just pour the bottle of bleach directly into the water? If so, in front of a return?

KSpoolguy said:
Just a few more questions if you all don't mind.

1. I have been using original off brand bleach (96 oz. jug) that is 6 percent sodium hypochlorite. I've never really used bleach that much, but what I do remember is that is was usually a whitish color. This bleach is clear with a very faint greenish tint. Is there a right and wrong bleach to use?

2. When testing for Chlorine, it says to add one heaping scoop of the powder. I assumed that meant with that 0.5 gram scoop that come with the kit. Is this an exact science with the "heaping" scoop. What I consider heaping might be different from someone else.

3. Do I just pour the bottle of bleach directly into the water? If so, in front of a return?

1. As long as the Chlorine doesn't have any additives (lemon etc) I think it is all good. The pool calculator lets you set the concentration level.

2. Heaping over the end of the spoon works fine. It seems to dissolve to saturation, so you end up with a bit extra in bits floating around in the bottom.

3. I put it in front of the returns and a bit in the skimmer. But as long as the pump is running it should get mixed up pretty well.

Welcome to the "light" side!!! After doing the reading that you have done, asking the questions you have, and continuing to learn, You will realize that yes, the pool stores ARE that jacked up! As with any business, there are some better than others, but you are quickly learning to control YOUR pool's chemistry, and life will get so much more enjoyable for you at that point. Those times when you do have to go to the pool store, you will be in control of what you are buying and understand WHY you need a specific chemical you are buying. There is a ton of helpful information here, especially taking the time to read Pool School. That did more for me than anything else - well, that and reading a few thousand posts here from the experts and asking a few questions here and there. Good luck! Your pool experience is about to get much more enjoyable!!!!!!!

Redintex

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.