Jun 26, 2023
Southern Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey all,

I'm a new pool owner. Pool has been running for a month-month and a half. Water has been crystal clear and still is, but I noticed this morning there is green stuff which I'm assuming is algae where the floor meets the wall. It's on the return jet/skimmer wall. Do I need to SLAM? All my levels checked out ok this morning for my weekly test. Everything is logged in pool math so I believe members can look at that, correct? This last week I didn't test chlorine everyday. I added a certain amount and wanted to see how it would be for my weekly test. FC tested at 4 this morning, so within range with cya at 40. Don't understand how algae could have formed as it doesn't seem like the FC would have tested at 4 if I wasn't adding enough chlorine throughout the week.

Should I be vacuuming on a regular basis, or brushing? I haven't brushed at all, and have only vacuumed once. Up to now, everything has been perfect. The water remains super clear. Not really sure how the brushing/vacuuming regiment is supposed to work. Pool gets full sun all day and rarely has any debris in it, besides a bug or three.

Do I brush the algae from the liner? Vacuum? SLAM?

Last edited:
I find I have the same challenge with my above ground pool, specifically at the seams where there is excess vinyl. The vinyl flap makes for an ideal breeding ground for algae. I usually just vacuum to waste and call it a day. I meant to seal these flaps with some pool-safe vinyl adhesive when I bought a replacement liner this year but ran out of time. I might still try with some waterproof patch adhesive instead.

Reactions: Rost-Lufer
OK I enabled it in pool math app. Should I slam the pool or just brush the algae off?
If you’re seeing visible algae its
SLAM Process time.
Your daily additions of 20oz of 10% are adding 2.1 fc. The average daily loss in the peak of summer can be around 4ppm or more depending upon conditions.
It’s highly possible that on one of those days where you blindly dosed you fell below minimum. Maybe fc loss was higher than normal or you liquid chlorine was weaker.
This is why we suggest dosing to high target 🎯 or a scootch above to avoid ever broaching minimum.
FC/CYA Levels

Reactions: Rost-Lufer
If you’re seeing visible algae its
SLAM Process time.
Your daily additions of 20oz of 10% are adding 2.1 fc. The average daily loss in the peak of summer can be around 4ppm or more depending upon conditions.
It’s highly possible that on one of those days where you blindly dosed you fell below minimum. Maybe fc loss was higher than normal or you liquid chlorine was weaker.
This is why we suggest dosing to high target 🎯 or a scootch above to avoid ever broaching minimum.
FC/CYA Levels
OK. FC was at 5. Brushed algae and added 106oz bleach for SLAM level according to pool math for my current levels.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.