sum1els

May 8, 2023
Lincoln, Nebraska
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
new here .... we bought a house with a pool over winter, our very first pool. took the cover off a week ago, water was looking ok, some dust in the bottom, two dead mice at the bottom though. the one mouse almost looked "mushy", it was gross.

anyway, got the mice out and shocked with cal hypo the old owner left, 2lb of that to hopefully kill anything from the dead mice. ran the pump for 3 days straight and ran the pool vacuum.

took a water sample to a local pool store and walked out, $623 later :( I didn't know better and then I found this forum a few days ago ...

now I sit with 25lbs of tabs, 24x1b of shock bags (dichlor) and some algae preventer or something. I guess I could try and sell it. They did give me 1 gallon of stabilizer since the CYA was 0.5 when they tested, i think it's still a little low checking the test strips, so i ordered a drop tester to get a more accurate idea of where I'm at.

looking forward to do more accurate tests and use methods on TFP to get everything in proper balance.

Welcome to TFP.
Please read Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and also view the videos that provide more details on specific topics TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

Can you return any of those items to the pool store?
How do you plan to chlorinate your pool? The use of tabs is not good for the long term. Suggest you switch to liquid chlorine (LC). Maybe you can return some of that stuff and take it back in LC. So the pool store still got a big sale but at least it is stuff you can use.
You could keep the tabs as they can come in handy if you go away on vacation - just for short term use.
Right now you could put 3-4 in a floater to raise your FC until you can get your CYA level up.

Using your K-2006 (hopefully that is a typo in your signature K-2600), post the results of your test
pH
FC
CC
CH
TA
CYA

That will tell us where you are. Do not post pool store results or test strips.

Welcome to TFP.
Please read Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and also view the videos that provide more details on specific topics TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

Can you return any of those items to the pool store?
How do you plan to chlorinate your pool? The use of tabs is not good for the long term. Suggest you switch to liquid chlorine (LC). Maybe you can return some of that stuff and take it back in LC. So the pool store still got a big sale but at least it is stuff you can use.
You could keep the tabs as they can come in handy if you go away on vacation - just for short term use.
Right now you could put 3-4 in a floater to raise your FC until you can get your CYA level up.

Using your K-2006 (hopefully that is a typo in your signature K-2600), post the results of your test
pH
FC
CC
CH
TA
CYA

That will tell us where you are. Do not post pool store results or test strips.

So here is where I am at today:

pH : 7.3
FC: 3.8
CC: 0.2
CH: 210
TA: 140
CYA: ~43 (this one is a little tricky, the results vary a little between tests, but today seems to be about 43 just when the dot disappears)

pH is a little lower, since I am trying to get my TA down. Been adding dry-acid for the past two days and test and its coming down slowly. I just did 1.51lb of dry-acid as per the Acid Demand test this morning to bring it down to about 7.1-7.2. I will test later today again

btw, my pool pump strainer housing does have a small crack which sucks air I assume since it does blow small bubbles at the return (I have a replacement on order), but will that help a little with aeration to get my pH up again ?

Thanks

To raise pH by aeration you need for it to spillover your spa or have a waterfall. If you can, point any return nozzle towards the surface of the pool. There is no hurry to bring down TA, just keep working it.

For CYA, you may want to try this method for reading your CYA as I find it easier and avoids staring at the dot as you pour.

Pour the mixed solution to a known level, say 90, peer in and confirm you can see black dot. Now pour mixed solution to 80 mark, peer in again, if you can still see dot, hold tube up and pour mixed solution to the 70 mark, then peer in again to view dot. Continue this until you are not able to see the dot - then use your CYA number as the value you last saw the dot. This method avoids constantly looking down the tube which can create the illusion of always seeing the dot due to staring down the tube. This also helps that you only report CYA values in decade numbers due to the logarithmic scale of the tube. So for your test, your CYA would be 50. Then adjust FC levels in line with that CYA value. So you may want to raise your FC level to the 6-8 range.

Did you try to return any of that stuff and take it in trade for liquid chlorine? LC should be your preferred method for chlorination to avoid your CYA rising too high as summer comes on.

Hope your top for your pump basket arrives soon. Ensure you bleed any excess air from your filter as you want that to be full of water above the grids.

To raise pH by aeration you need for it to spillover your spa or have a waterfall. If you can, point any return nozzle towards the surface of the pool. There is no hurry to bring down TA, just keep working it.

For CYA, you may want to try this method for reading your CYA as I find it easier and avoids staring at the dot as you pour.

Pour the mixed solution to a known level, say 90, peer in and confirm you can see black dot. Now pour mixed solution to 80 mark, peer in again, if you can still see dot, hold tube up and pour mixed solution to the 70 mark, then peer in again to view dot. Continue this until you are not able to see the dot - then use your CYA number as the value you last saw the dot. This method avoids constantly looking down the tube which can create the illusion of always seeing the dot due to staring down the tube. This also helps that you only report CYA values in decade numbers due to the logarithmic scale of the tube. So for your test, your CYA would be 50. Then adjust FC levels in line with that CYA value. So you may want to raise your FC level to the 6-8 range.

Did you try to return any of that stuff and take it in trade for liquid chlorine? LC should be your preferred method for chlorination to avoid your CYA rising too high as summer comes on.

Hope your top for your pump basket arrives soon. Ensure you bleed any excess air from your filter as you want that to be full of water above the grids.
Thanks you for the reply and suggestion with reading the CYA, definitely going to try that !

I did get some LC at Menards over the weekend, they have 1gal 12.5% for $4.99 and I did put in 12oz as per pool math today to take it up to around 5. Will test again tomorrow and adjust. I am also looking at one of those little fountain attachments for the return on Amazon, looks like you can adjust the fountain spray. They are cheap.

btw, my very first test, my TA was about 175, so coming down. I just don't want my pH to go to low, so will take it slow.

I haven't returned anything yet, but might keep the tabs for when I am away on holiday or something like you said, but LC is my way going forward now.

Thanks again for the tips

Reactions: HermanTX
Are you using the 25ml FC method to get to 3.8? If so switching to the 10ml method will save you a lot of reagents and is still as accurate as you need to be (eg 3.4 vs 3.8 doesn’t matter. 3 vs 4 does)

Just saw that in your results

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Where do you guys buy MC ?
Do you mean muriatic? If so, Tractor Supply, Menard's, Ace Hardware, Lowe's, HD, pool store, where ever it is cheapest. Good price at Menard's in Lincoln...

Do you mean muriatic? If so, Tractor Supply, Menard's, Ace Hardware, Lowe's, HD, pool store, where ever it is cheapest. Good price at Menard's in Lincoln...

Nice, 126 in stock, I'll go pick up some. Thanks again everyone

Reactions: PoolStored