New pool owner, first test kit results fully out of range

swalla02

May 15, 2023
Des Moines
First post, looking for some assistance:

Background:
SWG had green blinking light which the installer said indicated low salt level. At their direction have added probably 5 bags of salt over 3 weeks and he then told me the flashing green light actually means TOO MUCH salt, shouldn't hurt anything just won't have to add any salt for a while. Okay...

Pool has been in use for about 2 weeks and all seemed fine. Received TF-Pro Salt test kit to begin at home testing yesterday and performed first test today, and the water all of a sudden is completely cloudy, but not green.

Results as follows:
FC: 0
Ph: 8.2
TA: 210
CH: 625
CYA: 50
Salt: 6600
CSI: 1.34

Concerned that either there is so much salt in the pool that the SWG is not producing chlorine, or something else amiss.

Any advice greatly appreciated to get things back in order.

6600 is killing your SWG. Salt does not go away, so your only real solution is dumping half your water and refilling with clean water.

Please read the section on "no drain water exchange"...and exchange 50% of your water...this will get you back to 3000.

Once you've exchanged water to get your salt down to normal, you can do a proper OCLT and SLAM. But in the meantime, use liquid chlorine to keep FC somewhere between 10% and 40% of your CYA concentration.

If I were in your position, I'd pour four gallons of liquid chlorine in tonight.

Last edited:
Before you do anything can you tell us the sequence exactly from beginning to the end of your salinity testing just to be sure there isn't any testing error.
Took 10mL sample of water
Added 1 drop of Chromate indicator
Swirled to mix
Sample turned yellow
Added 33 individual drops of Silver Nitrate while swirling until sample turned milky salmon color
Multiplied 33 x 200 = 6600

Last edited:
You've already filled out your signature, you have a TF-Pro, and you included complete test results in your post... So I assume you've done plenty of reading here and aren't exactly brand-new to TFP.

But still, welcome!
thank you!
Ok so that is correct. Now NO DRAIN WATER EXCHANGE in article numbered 3.5 would be a good option to use. Done right can have you back on track.
thank you for the advice!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.