New Pool Owner. Cloudiness. Need help in slamming process. Have Taylor kit results

Don't backwash too often.. Sand filters work better when they are slightly dirty. 25% increase in pressure is when you need to backwash.

Got it. Thank you! Since it is brand new sand do you think I even need DE at this time or just let the filter do it's job?

- - - Updated - - -

And don't forget the brushing as well - its really important!

I won't! My arms are killing me. I was up at 5 am brushing the pool. :) What a good work out!!!!

You have only just started -so see if your filter can work it through then if the cloudiness is stubborn then you might want to consider it then.

The brushing workout is good- also as a reminder about keeping your FC up so you hopefully not have to SLAM again. ;)

I wouldn't add DE yet. Your filter will clog pretty quickly leading to more backwashing. When your SLAM is completed you could add some if you wanted. Some people say that their water is clearer when they add a little DE to their filter. But sand filters quite well and you will have a clear sparkly pool without adding DE.

GC

Post pix if you can... we like to see progress!!

Here is a pic of all the crud that fell into my pool when taking the cover off :(

View attachment 51965

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a pic of all the crud that fell into my pool when taking the cover off :(

Here is a pic from July 3rd
View attachment 51966

- - - Updated - - -

And... Here is a pic from July 8thView attachment 51967

- - - Updated - - -

The black crud at bottom in pics was vacuumed up right after that picture was taken.

I wouldn't add DE yet. Your filter will clog pretty quickly leading to more backwashing. When your SLAM is completed you could add some if you wanted. Some people say that their water is clearer when they add a little DE to their filter. But sand filters quite well and you will have a clear sparkly pool without adding DE.

GC

Thanks so much. Maybe I will wait a while and see if my filter with the new sand can do the job. :)

Getting better... at least you can see the bottom!! Just takes time...and perseverance.

I actually feel really good looking back at these photos. I didn't realize how far I have come. Wish I had a pic of the water when I took the pool cover off. lol It was gnarly!
The green is almost gone in a weeks time. And yes I can kind of see the bottom in the shallow end now, when there is something down there, like the vacuum or brush. Can't wait to go home and brush it again! lol
I will feel so empowered and happy when this pool is clear. What a sense of accomplishment figuring all this out on my own and to actually do it. Can't wait!

Two quick questions;
When I vacuum during the slam process should I be filtering or should i vacuum to waste? Filter right?
Also, if I ever want to reduce PH should I use muriatic acid or sodium bisulfate? Do they both do the job or is muriatic acid the only way to go?
Thanks!!!

Two quick questions;
When I vacuum during the slam process should I be filtering or should i vacuum to waste? Filter right?
Also, if I ever want to reduce PH should I use muriatic acid or sodium bisulfate? Do they both do the job or is muriatic acid the only way to go?
Thanks!!!

Vacuum thru the filter... itll keep you from having to refill... unless you are sucking up big leaves and a ton of junk , then you can go to waste.. or just use a net or rake instead...

I use MA... its nasty but it works like a charm.. Use pool math to calculate how much you need to drop to the level you want.. then use the estimator on the bottom to see what is actually feasible.. The upper value may tell you to add 70 oz of Ma but in reality that will drop your PH way too low if you add all at once.. I usually add 32oz at a time to bring it down from 7.6 to 7.1ish. MA Also drops TA so be careful of that. MA additions are very time consuming and requires you maintain the delicate balance of PH, TA.

Check your fill water too.. so you know what your baseline will be...ie.. lots of evap so you have to fill which may up your ph,ta,ch levels without you knowing.. especially if you've been fighting to lower your TA

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had a very cloudy pool that no amount of shocking did the trick for me. In the end I opened the filter and cleaned it. It was just like a magic. Pool is sparkling clean. Not a difficult task to accomplish at all. My filter was extremely dirty and was not able to clean anything. I will get the link for you on how to clean the filter, in case you do not know.

Here is the link to cleaning sand filter. It is super easy. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Thanks so much. Maybe I will wait a while and see if my filter with the new sand can do the job. :)

The above post on deep cleaning your sand filter is a great suggestion. Also, for your FYI, you need not change the sand in your filter. I'm mentioning this because you stated you replaced the sand. Of course it's no harm, but unnecessary. DON'T DO IT AGAIN! :)

GC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.