New pool owner, cleared my black pool water thanks to TFP!

DD12

May 7, 2024
Central Illinois
New to posting on the forum, but have been browsing extensively over the past month. Apologies if I'm in the wrong spot! This will likely be a long post, but I want it to serve as a testimonial and also motivation for new pool owners especially - and to trust in the TFP process.

We purchased our new home in November of 2023, due to the time of year a pool inspection was out of the question so we opted for a home warranty instead. We are first time pool owners. Our in-ground pool had the mesh winter cover over it, so we had no idea what the pool/water looked like. The house was on the market since April of 2023, so the pool definitely wasn't opened in 2023 and likely not the year before either (divorce situation).

I pulled the cover off on April 16th and was shocked (but not surprised) to see what the water looked like:

Opening.jpg

We own a hot tub as well so going into this I had a basic understanding of water chemistry but have never had to deal with even light green water. The previous owners left behind some bags of granular shock which I dumped in (before reading here - don't kill me) I started looking to forums online for extra guidance and found TFP - immediately went and bought a bunch of 12% liquid chlorine.

After adding a bunch of liquid chlorine and keeping the pump running 24/7 on filter, here is what it looked like 3 days later on April 19th:

3 Days later.jpg

Continuing to brush every day and with pump running continuously and maintaining SLAM levels, here is a progress picture on April 22nd:

April 22.jpg

Keeping up with the SLAM process, here it is on April 26th:

April 26th.jpg

April 29th, first time getting enough clarity on the shallow end to faintly see the bottom of the pool!

April 29.jpg

Gaining more clarity and a slightly bluer color, here it is on May 1st:

May 1.jpg

Here we are on May 4th, still at SLAM level:

May 4.jpg

And here we arrive at May 5th, really nice blue color and finally decided to floc and vacuum to waste since all the algae was dead:

May 5 floc.jpg
May 5 vac.jpg

May 6th, more vacuuming and skimming to clean out all the junk. We now have our beautiful blue oasis!

BLUE.jpg

I'll attach a couple more pictures below to show clarity, can only share 10 in this post. This was by far one of the most rewarding things I have done as a homeowner, and took an extreme amount of patience. There were several days that showed no progress, but believing in the process and keeping the pool at shock level the whole time finally paid off.

All in all, ended up using close to 100 gallons of 12% liquid chlorine and half a bottle of Clorox floc. April 16th - May 6th, took about 3 weeks to clear up. Don't give up!

Wow!!! Congrats and GREAT JOB!!!!

If you found value, you might help us keep the doors open...and get a cool badge...and discounts!

good job!How often do you add chlorine during this process? 100 gallons is at least $600, and I’m with a green pool right now, this put me in calculating if just refill the pool or spend $600 and extra time on it lol….

Reactions: DD12
good job!How often do you add chlorine during this process? 100 gallons is at least $600, and I’m with a green pool right now, this put me in calculating if just refill the pool or spend $600 and extra time on it lol….
I was adding several gallons a day over the course of about 3 weeks. Testing water every day to make sure I was still at high shock (SLAM) levels. If you're starting off green I doubt you'll need that much, and I probably could have gotten away with less but was on a time crunch. The black water I started off with was no joke, definitely some serious neglect there.

A partial drain and refill with your garden hose may help you along a bit to dilute the algae water. I was doing a ton of backwashing so I was definitely replacing a lot of water throughout the process as well.

Good job. Only issue is Floc. Some can use it, but most create a mess. Be careful with it.

Reactions: DD12