New pool owner, can’t get the pool clear!

Something tells me I did the CYA test wrong. I followed the directions and filled half the tube with water and half with the tester. Then I kept adding the other tester until the black dot was barely visible. The problem is, I got to the top
Of the tube “30ppm” and I could see the black dot without any issues.

It's possible your CYA is 0 (or too low to even register). Here are the extended CYA test instructions. CYA - Cyanuric Acid Test - Trouble Free Pool

Thank you, will re check in a few.

Any suggestions based off of my other results? My pool is still blue, getting clearer by the day but still not super clear in the deep end.

I plan on cleaning the filter out tomorrow or Saturday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any one else have suggestions?
You need to SLAM properly. It’s a process that takes patience and time. You now have the proper test kit so you are ready to go! When I first start my SLAM I check the FC level every hour. If it’s below SLAM level, I add chlorine. If you stay on top of it, you will get ahead of it.

Read the SLAM article again:

SLAM

Also, if your CYA test is reading 0 it’s time to add some cya and get yourself up to 30. Just follow the instructions and things will fall into place (y)

You need to SLAM properly. It’s a process that takes patience and time. You now have the proper test kit so you are ready to go! When I first start my SLAM I check the FC level every hour. If it’s below SLAM level, I add chlorine. If you stay on top of it, you will get ahead of it.

Read the SLAM article again:

SLAM

Also, if your CYA test is reading 0 it’s time to add some cya and get yourself up to 30. Just follow the instructions and things will fall into place (y)

Thank you! I plan on solving all of my issues (including my Polaris issue) tomorrow.

I'm assuming it's too late tonight, but work on getting your FC to hold at 5 (use PoolMath for doses), test every 15-30min and boost/raise FC.
Once it does, use PoolMath to add enough CYA to target CYA/25 (this will test as 30)
Then we can guide you from there

Tonight I went to BJ’s and bought 3 gallons of bleach for 10 bucks. Going to clean out my D.E. filter tomorrow and then shock the heck out of the pool once and for all, thanks for the advice.

Reactions: steve1staf
Alright, so today was a very productive day. I fixed my low flow filter issue (see pictures). I also fixed my Polaris and changed out my booster pump.

After 3 gallons of bleach the test says my FC is .5ppm?

Question, for the FC/CC test, in the beginning it says " 1 drop=.02ppm and 2 drop=.5ppm" and gives me a choice of the amount of water to do the test with.

What does that mean? I've just been using the .5 to multiply by how many drops I use until the "pink" goes away.

Attachments

• clean.JPG
    clean.JPG
    413 KB · Views: 13
  • caked.JPG
    caked.JPG
    525.6 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: splashpad
After 3 gallons of bleach the test says my FC is .5ppm?
Keep adding bleach until you get a FC result of 5

Question, for the FC/CC test, in the beginning it says " 1 drop=.02ppm and 2 drop=.5ppm" and gives me a choice of the amount of water to do the test with.

What does that mean? I've just been using the .5 to multiply by how many drops I use until the "pink" goes away.
Your result is the drops multipled by .5 (10ml sample) or .2 (25ml sample)

The 10ml sample is fine. The higher degree of accuracy is a waste of reagents most of the time. For a SLAM with very high FC levels I usually use a 5ml sample to save reagents. When I get close to passing the OCLT then I switch back to the 10ml sample.

At 5ml sample size, I drop is 1 point of FC.

The FC test I do is with a 10ml water sample.
For this sample size, 1 drop = .5

So if it goes clear in 8 drops FC = 4 ppm

If that bleach of yours was not flat (gone bad) and got consumed that fast you might
have ammonia. An aquarium test kit from a pet store can confirm if this is true.

But it's more likely the zero cya. any sunlight exposure will eat it fast too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.