New pool owner, can’t get the pool clear!

I would add the 5PPM every day until you get your test kit. High chlorine will just keep killing algae. You need to watch the pressure on your filter so it doesn't go too high. I'd let it filter 24/7 if I was around to bump the filter when the pressure got too high. My filter doesn't have a recirculate mode so I'm not the best person to answer this. The more you filter the faster it will clear. Just keep an eye on the pressure.

Reactions: splashpad
I would add the 5PPM every day until you get your test kit. High chlorine will just keep killing algae. You need to watch the pressure on your filter so it doesn't go too high. I'd let it filter 24/7 if I was around to bump the filter when the pressure got too high. My filter doesn't have a recirculate mode so I'm not the best person to answer this. The more you filter the faster it will clear. Just keep an eye on the pressure.

Unfortunately my gauge doesn't work, I ordered a new one last night. I also don't have a bump filter. When it's in filter it probably has about 10% of the pressure than when it is in recirculate mode.

Awesome, I'll go add the last 1.5 gallons I have left. I don't expect anyone to be able to use the pool until late May, anyway.

Since, my flow from my return jets on "filter" is pretty weak (until I can get into my filter this weekend), is it a bad idea to just leave it on recirculate all day instead?

Today I left it on filter from 7am-130 and now it has been on recirculate since.
As long as you know it's not "clearing", keeping the water moving and adding/raising FC is important.
I've seen & read quite a few use recirculate (if available) until the pool is blue cloudy, so as not to harm the pump with low flow/excess back pressure

As long as you know it's not "clearing", keeping the water moving and adding/raising FC is important.
I've seen & read quite a few use recirculate (if available) until the pool is blue cloudy, so as not to harm the pump with low flow/excess back pressure

The pool is definitely blue cloudy. Actually, since the day I have opened it, it has been blue. My only issue I have been having is the clarity. It looks like its almost ready, I just can't see the floor in certain areas.

so, I have a very old and basic "PH an and Chlorine" tester with red and yellow droppers. I think over the course of the last 5 days I have used about 5 pounds of powder chlorine, and yesterday I used 2.5 gallons of liquid. The pool smells like chlorine when you're around it, the tester is showing it in the high range.
I actually like "messing" around with the OTO test. However you must know the FC reading is the first 30secs, after that you start seeing the CC's result, if you are smelling "chlorine" that is the combined chloramines (aka the "swimming pool smell") those are not desirable, and mean your chlorine is working.

A few replies up someone recommended that I add 5PPM every day until I get my tester and I can clean my DE filter. Should I still add the chlorine today even though it smells very strong and the crappy tester I have is telling me it is in the high range?
Yes keep topping up with FC/5 goal, until you can properly test your FC / CC levels with FAS-DPD test

I actually like "messing" around with the OTO test. However you must know the FC reading is the first 30secs, after that you start seeing the CC's result, if you are smelling "chlorine" that is the combined chloramines (aka the "swimming pool smell") those are not desirable, and mean your chlorine is working.

Yes keep topping up with FC/5 goal, until you can properly test your FC / CC levels with FAS-DPD test

Good to know, thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This was just now, right before I add more liquid chlorine. Even though I smell chlorine, it shows the level is super low. PH has been climbing though.

Attachments

• 103A17FC-49BC-40AB-BBA4-28E18122B7E6.jpeg
    103A17FC-49BC-40AB-BBA4-28E18122B7E6.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 24
This was just now, right before I add more liquid chlorine. Even though I smell chlorine, it shows the level is super low. PH has been climbing though.
Yes Phenol Red gives "false" high reading when chlorine is over 10, which your CC's likely are :) "bombs away" lol!

Is that your pool in the background? Not at all the color I was expecting :D

Reactions: BuckeyeMac

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.