New Pool Owner (Almost) Now with pictures!

Finally got over there this morning.

FC 7
CC 1

Added (about) 220 oz bleach to go back to 11 and brushed down the walls. Added some water. Here it is afterward.

IMAG0678.jpg

IMAG0680.jpg

Not so great. The light came loose as my wife was brushing. I assume that will just snap back in or something. Brushed the algae on that.

The pressure is not coming up on my sand filter. It is staying at 19. The pool was not that dirty to start with, but should the dead algae be causing some pressure rise yet? I think maybe next I will open the filter and see how much sand is there.

Retest just before I left.
FC 11.5
CC <1

Thanks for the support and offers of help. :cheers:

My most recent "mistake". Read here about venting the filter, thought that sounded easy and just might help filtration. So I stopped by the pool and found the vent on top of the filter. It would not open under pressure so turned off the pump and got it open. Turned the pump back on and got water almost immediately so I don't think that was a problem. Now I can't close it. Tighten it right down and still get a fine stream of water squirting out. Any tricks / lube/ sealant etc.?

Edit: looks like I need an o-ring.

Update, from about noon to 9pm the FC went from 11.5 to
FC 7
CC 1

Still looks about the same as in the last pictures.

Are these chlorine losses typical of the continuation (2x a day) phase of shocking or should I go back to every couple of hours?

Bill, not sure what you can take from this, but we live about 18 miles away from each other and I've lost 1ppm from 7am-8pm. It was super cloudy and friendly to my pool.

In my simple opinion you should shock and get it in shape. You are borderline but not there. Shock until it is there.

When I had to shock I was checking hourly just fyi

That's a good comparison. I figure the chlorine was being used by the algae from the scrubbed walls. Tests from this am:
FC 11
CC .5

So I didn't lose much overnight.
Added a 3qt (96 oz) jug so it should be about 13 for today.

I was checking hourly for awhile Saturday when I started chlorine use fell very quickly, but the current owner had put calcium shock product in a couple days before.

This evening, maybe just a bit clearer.

FC 7
CC .5 maybe less.

Still losing a bunch of Chlorine to the sun I guess. It was sunny most of the day. Brought it back to 12 and see again tomorrow. Need to buy more bleach, only enough left for 1 more big dose. Closing on the house in three days. Be great if it was clear by then.

This morning,
FC 10
CC .5

Looking better just slightly clearer, sorry no picture. Added bleach with a target of 12.

When I got there the pump was cavitating, no pressure on the gauge, but the strainer basket still full of water. Current owner came out and noticed the water was low. I'm surprised it was low enough to stop pumping, as the water was still about a third of the way up in the skimmer opening. There are no significant grade changes so the pump itself is only inches above the water level.

Any ideas? Just keep the level higher?

I got a little behind, but the pool is mine now and I hit it hard over the weekend. Definately looking better but still very cloudy particularly after brushing. Went home at noon today to top up the FC. A little update on my issues.

I inspected my sand filter internally, lots of slime on the top, but not crusty or anything. Backwashed it and it looks good. A new o-ring on the vent took care of my small leak there.

CYA is now definately not zero, but still not up to 20. I assumed 10 and added enough in a couple of socks on 9/25 to bring it to 30.

I was losing a lot of water to a leak in the booster pump for the Polaris. I shut it off and blocked the suction side. No air in the main pump suction basket anymore. That probably explains the lack of suction lift.

I probably need to break out the vacuum to avoid just stirring up the debris. Think I will vac to waste the first time to avoid having to backwash the filter since I just added CYA.

My pump presure after backwash is 18psi. It was steady on 19 for all of the past couple of weeks, seems like I should be seeing more of an increase. The sand in the filter is about half way up the filter vessel.

Does that level of sand seem right to everyone?

Finally figured out how to vacuum the pool tonight. Wish I had stuck to the plan of vac to waste. I can confirm that my filter works fine. Pressure went from 18 to 35 (never saw above 19 before) and had no visible circulation so I had to backflush despite the cya I added 2 days ago. Guess I need to keep up the vacuuming and get clarity before adjusting the cya again. I'm still going for shock level of 13 but can't get to it mid day so it falls to about 8 most evenings. CC is 0.5 or less consistently.

Next problem.
One of my return jets has no flow. I tried backflushing that with a hose but no luck. Any ideas?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What a difference vacuuming makes! Did it a second time yesterday and it was much better tonight. I can almost see the bottom. It was lightining tonight so I'll do it again tomorrow and get a picture before if there is enough light. Keeping up shock levels

Re: New Pool Owner (Almost)

BillV said:
One more question. Reading another post it said the Pump should be on while adding CYA in a sock. Am I causing any damage by allowing the pump to be off while I figure out my intermatic timer, or is it just slowing down the rate of dissolving?

Thanks

Just remove the off trigger and the pump will stay on.

Hello again and thanks to all who have helped me here. I kind of dropped out here due to being extremely busy with extended moving activities followed by a family emergency with my father. As for my pool I've got the chemistry straightened out thanks to the help here. Earlier tonight:

FC: 4
CYA: 30
TA: 100
CH: 260
pH: 7.5

It took longer than it should have, but that's due to me missing a number of days to get vacuuming done and some of my plumbing problems fixed. I'm going to stop this thread here and post future problems in new posts.

:cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.