New Pool Novice in New Hampshire

TSberry

Jul 15, 2023
New Hampshire USA
Last summer my wife purchased an above ground pool, and you know what they say "Go big or go home". :cautious::oops: So now I am in charge of maintaining an Intex Ultra XTR 26'x52".
Realized relatively quickly through experience, help from the forums and local pool store associates, that my pump is way undersized and underpowered. Despite maintaining excellent pool chemical levels (tested at the pool store) the filter just can not support the pools size.
current filter info
My new mission is to buy an upgraded pool pump and filter that is variable speed which will qualify for a NH rebate that is available. If the forums have recommendations listed somewhere that would be great, because other than that I'm going to just be clicking all over the internet looking for reviews with not much knowledge as to who makes a quality/reliable pump and filter :cry:

Hey TS and Welcome !!!

All Intex style equipment is terribly undersized, even the 'big ones'. Those cost for too much for the performance that they deliver. You can upsize 5 times and still be 3 times too small.

Buying traditional above ground equipment may cost several times the cost of the pool, so that's not always the best option either.

I always reccomend waiting until (gently) used above ground equipment becomes available on FB marketplace / Offerup App, etc. Then you get the right performance at the Intex price.

What's the budget ?

Hey TS and Welcome !!!

All Intex style equipment is terribly undersized, even the 'big ones'. Those cost for too much for the performance that they deliver. You can upsize 5 times and still be 3 times too small.

Buying traditional above ground equipment may cost several times the cost of the pool, so that's not always the best option either.

I always reccomend waiting until (gently) used above ground equipment becomes available on FB marketplace / Offerup App, etc. Then you get the right performance at the Intex price.

What's the budget ?
Well NH has a $500 rebate on participating variable speed pumps. So like you said, I dont really want to buy a pump/filter that ends up being over the cost of the entire pool! I honestly don't even have a good grasp of pump/filter pricing, but I would probably be comfortable in the $1000 range? if the rebate was valid it would drop to $500 which is more of where I'm comfortable.
I will take your recommendation and scour Marketplace etc, where the rebate won't work obviously.

If the rebate works out, This pump would be way overkill, but also $19 plus tax on the full price. Lol. You dial down VS pumps to the HP you actually need so there really isnt any 'too big'.

that would leave almost your full budget to purchase a traditional filter. Consider too, it'll last several temporary pools worth so you'll appreciate it for the bulk of a generation. If at some point you decide to upgrade to a traditional above ground, the equipment will be ready to go as is.