New Pool, New to TFP

olienh

May 11, 2015
Auburn, NH
Hi Everyone,

This is a great forum. My pool has had water in it for about 10 days now. We still don't have any decking around it yet, but I wanted to get a jump start on getting the chemistry in line. After I got everything running for a few days and got the SWG running, I SLAMed the pool. The SLAM is complete based on the TFP method and my numbers are really falling into line. The only thing I think I need to do is aerate the pool to raise my pH. The pool is clear. Am I correct that things look pretty good, or am I forgetting something?

Here are my test results:
FC - 9.39 (still coming down from the SLAM) SWG is being bypassed right now
CC - 0.0
pH - 7.2 - I have spa jets running now to raise this
TA - 76
CH - 54
CYA - 71
Borates - not using yet

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Things look pretty good (assuming you believe those numbers ... ColorQ does not have a good reputation around here). The pH is fine and it is going to come up on its own just due to aeration caused by the SWG (once you turn it on).

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

It's great to see someone jump in and already be ahead of the game!!

Being new to pools I would not jump into borates until you get a feel for your pool.

To be honest the LaMotte 2056 ColorQ you are testing with gets very mixed reviews here. Do a search of the forum for "LaMotte ColorQ" for more information. Here is a post from 2011 where one member did a side by side comparison between Taylor drop based testing (which we recommend) to the ColorQ. To quote the owner of TFP:
Throughout TFP, you will read that we suggest certain levels that good science and practical experience has taught us fall within safe ranges.

Further reading of posts here will draw you to the inescapable conclusion that these guidelines work.......in thousands and thousands of pools worldwide.

You may or may not choose to use these methods and guidelines or you may use some and not others. Our goal is to teach you what has been proven time and time again and then let you use that information to your benefit.

As Tim mentioned the Color Q is often the subject of a love / hate relationship, which usually involves someone posting how much they love their Color Q then they come back 6 months later to say how wrong they were and how much they hate it. The principle problem seems to be repeatable wrong testing numbers from the Color Q, everything works right for a while, then all of a sudden the numbers start coming back consistently wrong, which makes it hard to tell when you have a problem. I remember one poster that went so far as to buy a second Color Q and testing all samples twice just to know when the Color Q was giving bad results.

As Tim mentioned the Color Q is often the subject of a love / hate relationship, which usually involves someone posting how much they love their Color Q then they come back 6 months later to say how wrong they were and how much they hate it. The principle problem seems to be repeatable wrong testing numbers from the Color Q, everything works right for a while, then all of a sudden the numbers start coming back consistently wrong, which makes it hard to tell when you have a problem. I remember one poster that went so far as to buy a second Color Q and testing all samples twice just to know when the Color Q was giving bad results.

Thank you for the feedback on the tester. I do a lot of shopping on Amazon and the recommended testers all seemed to be out of stock. I thought I was close on this one, but apparently not. I will be getting a better tester soon!

Cheers!

The recommended Taylor kit is in stock. (The one I bought before I realized the cost of replacement chemicals.)
http://www.amazon.com/TAYLOR-TECHNO...&qid=1431531596&sr=8-1&keywords=taylor+k-2006

However, I would recommend the TF-100 that is only sold on TFTestKits.net. It is more expensive up front, but replacement reagents (which should be replaced every year) are cheaper.

I'm an Amazon Prime junkie, but TFTestKits delivers very fast, as well. I bought extra CYA and FAS/DPD through them, as well as a SpeedStir in a second order, both with the cheapest shipping, both arrived inside of 3 days to OH.

Problems with ColorQ.

As you use it the test tubes will become less clear. Normal random use of the tubes means they will not all cloud at the same rate, thereby throwing off accuracy. Unless you clean them all very diligently after every use, they can hold residual chemicals that throw off the readings. The chlorine test is DPD and limited to 10 max. The Taylor uses FAS DPD and measures up to 50 in .5 increments. Not sure how you can slam with a test method limited to 10 unless you did a 50% dilution test. When I got my Taylor tester I did a side by side comparison and the results caused me to toss the ColorQ in the storage room. I will never use it again.

Problems with ColorQ.

As you use it the test tubes will become less clear. Normal random use of the tubes means they will not all cloud at the same rate, thereby throwing off accuracy. Unless you clean them all very diligently after every use, they can hold residual chemicals that throw off the readings. The chlorine test is DPD and limited to 10 max. The Taylor uses FAS DPD and measures up to 50 in .5 increments. Not sure how you can slam with a test method limited to 10 unless you did a 50% dilution test. When I got my Taylor tester I did a side by side comparison and the results caused me to toss the ColorQ in the storage room. I will never use it again.

Thanks, guys. I ordered the Taylor kit, the stirplate and the salt add-on from TFTestKits and I am returning the ColorQ to Amazon. I appreciate the heads-up on the potential challenges with that kit while I still had time to return it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.