Charlotte
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hi! I’m attaching pics and test results. My taylor kit provides the same results as the pool store so that’s good news!

With my pool, I feel like the plaster job was terrible. There are huge streaks and stains from the hose used for fill up and stains where it looks like the spilled something. Those aren’t actually my concerns with the job. Instead, over the past few months (my pool was finished and filled in March of this year) I’ve noticed white spots appearing. I stay on top of my chemistry and CSI.

The pool builder said it’s scaling. I tried brushing it with acid and it did nothing. It also doesn’t really feel different than the surrounding plaster. Even after showing the PB my test results he still says it’s scaling.

Any ideas? IMG_7227.jpeg

Hi! I’m attaching pics and test results. My taylor kit provides the same results as the pool store so that’s good news!

With my pool, I feel like the plaster job was terrible. There are huge streaks and stains from the hose used for fill up and stains where it looks like the spilled something. Those aren’t actually my concerns with the job. Instead, over the past few months (my pool was finished and filled in March of this year) I’ve noticed white spots appearing. I stay on top of my chemistry and CSI.

The pool builder said it’s scaling. I tried brushing it with acid and it did nothing. It also doesn’t really feel different than the surrounding plaster. Even after showing the PB my test results he still says it’s scaling.

Any ideas? View attachment 499795
IMG_7237.jpeg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I'll tag @onBalance who is one of your plaster experts on the forum. He might have some feedback for you. In the future however, please post your own Taylor test kit numbers. We have little to no faith in pool store testing.

Also please update your signature. It's currently blank. See my signature as an example. It helps tremendously as we analyze your questions.

Thanks @Texas Splash ! Added the signature and Taylor 2005 test kit results below (as of yesterday)
Free Chlorine : 3.2
Combined Chlorine: 0
PH: 7.8
Alkalinity: 80
Calcium Hardness: 320
CYA: 50 (I abhor this test by the way)
Salt: 3200

Reactions: Texas Splash
I’ll add some more pics to show the plaster job in full context. First shows where they laid the hose for fill and the stain it caused. Second shows what looks like some sort of splash stain and third shows three large streaks. I know imperfections are part of if with darker colors but yeesh, seems it’s a bit more than what I would expect. These things make me question if the white in my first post is really scale and not just a bad plaster job.
IMG_7121.jpegIMG_6417.jpegIMG_7119.jpeg

Please read the below post.
There are a number of things that may be involved with your colored quartz plaster turning white in streaks, spots, and other patterns. One likely cause is that a poorly performed acid wash was performed on the new plaster prior to being filled with water.
Also, out-of-balance water that leads to "scaling" will generally do so with a uniform and consistent manner throughout the pool, not in random streaks and spots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.