JLEAHG

Jul 20, 2022
Oklahoma City
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a 15' x 42" Bestway above ground pool. From the website, I see that it holds 3,955 gallons at 90% capacity so I'm guessing that is about where I'm at on volume. I couldn't find the volume calculator in the PoolMath app, so if someone can point me in the right direction for that, I'd appreciate it. :)

I filled the pool on July 10th and the first thing I did was start using a Remington Solar Ionizer, which after reading many threads in this forum, I now think was a bad decision. Especially with the size of my pool. When testing with one of the copper test strips, I hit the max level of 2 on the chart, so maybe it's even higher than that. I'm not overly concerned about the copper, but from what I gather, the only thing I can do to get rid of it is drain the pool. Ugh!

I don't have a test kit - only strips that test for chlorine, ph and alkalinity - and a separate strip for testing copper. I don't mind getting a test kit, but hadn't planned on that expense. I understand it could save me $$$ in the long run, though.

I haven't started adding chlorine or anything yet. I'm kinda frozen at this point. I've read the guide for seasonal pools. I've read the SLAM protocol. I've read too much! :oops:I suspect my water is starting to get icky! But... the test strip shows basically nothing for chlorine, ph and alkalinity because I haven't added anything besides copper at this point. I need to do something! The good news is, that after tons of reading, I have a much better understanding of how all of these levels work together.

Can I: Ignore the copper and start the seasonal pool process? CYA, then PH and then FC?

Can I: Ignore the copper and start the SLAM process? Can this even be done if I'm kinda starting from scratch? No current chemicals, but possibly some algae?

Should I drain and refill and start one of the above? I'd rather not, but will if I need to. :sneaky:

I'm ready to take some action and appreciate the help!

Some good reading here:

The implication of proceeding with Copper in the pool is the potential for:
  • Green to black stains on the pool
  • Emerald green pool water (especially when you add or raise FC).
  • Blonde or gray hair turning green
Our general advice is to drain the pool and start over.

About the ONLY time we recommend taking water to the Pool Store is to test for copper. I would find a local pool store and if your Copper is over .5ppm, I would recommend draining, particularly for the size pool you have. Will cost you less that the aggravation of trying to deal with copper in the pool.

If less that .5 (better less than .3), then you can *probably* get by...

Hope that helps!

Reactions: JLEAHG
Drain, scrub, & start over -
follow this guide 👇no more copper.
The drain & refill wont take long & u can start fresh.
At the very least get an inexpensive drop based test kit that measures chlorine & ph - the strips are basically useless.
The Hth 6way one was an affordable option & also comes with enough reagent to do a couple cya tests. It used to be readily available at Walmart. Not sure anymore. I know they at least have an
oto /ph kit for like $7.
You can always add to that by purchasing things individually later
like the fas/dpd test 👇
or
the cya test 👇
But when u add all that up the tf100 or Taylor k2006 are a much better value, provide all the tests u need & also keep everything together for u .

Reactions: JLEAHG
Some good reading here:

The implication of proceeding with Copper in the pool is the potential for:
  • Green to black stains on the pool
  • Emerald green pool water (especially when you add or raise FC).
  • Blonde or gray hair turning green
Our general advice is to drain the pool and start over.

About the ONLY time we recommend taking water to the Pool Store is to test for copper. I would find a local pool store and if your Copper is over .5ppm, I would recommend draining, particularly for the size pool you have. Will cost you less that the aggravation of trying to deal with copper in the pool.

If less that .5 (better less than .3), then you can *probably* get by...

Hope that helps!
Thank you! I went to the Pool Store for testing today and my copper came back at .4, so not as bad as I expected. I'll likely drain and refill... or at least partially do so in order to get that number down. I've attached my test results.

Attachments

• IMG_5711.jpg
    IMG_5711.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 1
Drain, scrub, & start over -
follow this guide 👇no more copper.
The drain & refill wont take long & u can start fresh.
At the very least get an inexpensive drop based test kit that measures chlorine & ph - the strips are basically useless.
The Hth 6way one was an affordable option & also comes with enough reagent to do a couple cya tests. It used to be readily available at Walmart. Not sure anymore. I know they at least have an
oto /ph kit for like $7.
You can always add to that by purchasing things individually later
like the fas/dpd test 👇
or
the cya test 👇
But when u add all that up the tf100 or Taylor k2006 are a much better value, provide all the tests u need & also keep everything together for u .
Thank you! I think I will go ahead and order a test kit.

While waiting for it to arrive can I go ahead and start the seasonal pool process since there won't be anything in the water?

And I think I'm missing where to start adding chlorine to the pool in that article. What step is it? Step 5? It says to test your chlorine at this stage, but there's no mention of adding it before then.

Thank you! I think I will go ahead and order a test kit.
Nice.
While waiting for it to arrive can I go ahead and start the seasonal pool process since there won't be anything in the water?
Sure, use Pool Math to figure out how much chlorine to add 5ppm per day and add it daily until you test kit comes. You can also add the CYA as there will be none in your fill water.
And I think I'm missing where to start adding chlorine to the pool in that article. What step is it? Step 5? It says to test your chlorine at this stage, but there's no mention of adding it before then.
It is only so you have a baseline FC level before you add chlorine. Likely your fill water won't have any, but better to know before you add!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.