jmcowan79

Apr 13, 2024
O Fallon, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone, we have a new pool installed, approx 15000 gallon, chlorine, pebble plaster. I have a Taylor k2006 kit that I have been monitoring chemistry. At the advice of builder, pool school guy, I bought 50 lbs of trichlor tabs and 25 lbs of dichlor. I asked about these increasing cya and was told it would take a while to get too high, then just drain and fill. We filled in late March and since I've been using about 3 tabs per week in chlorinator. Aside from that, basically just adding acid to offset plaster cure pH increase, and occasionally alkalinity up.

After reading more here, I started watching my cya, since I learned both trichlor and bichlor increase cya rather significantly. I'm now at about 55-60ppm.
So, I'm planning to get some liquid chlorine and switch to that. But, I don't want to waste the stuff I already bought, so I'm thinking of throttling back the chlorinator and supplementing with the liquid. Any issues with this?

I'm also attaching my screenshot from pool math with other levels and open to any other advice.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240515-111447.png
    Screenshot_20240515-111447.png
    50.7 KB · Views: 9
Hi everyone, we have a new pool installed, approx 15000 gallon, chlorine, pebble plaster. I have a Taylor k2006 kit that I have been monitoring chemistry. At the advice of builder, pool school guy, I bought 50 lbs of trichlor tabs and 25 lbs of dichlor. I asked about these increasing cya and was told it would take a while to get too high, then just drain and fill. We filled in late March and since I've been using about 3 tabs per week in chlorinator. Aside from that, basically just adding acid to offset plaster cure pH increase, and occasionally alkalinity up.

After reading more here, I started watching my cya, since I learned both trichlor and bichlor increase cya rather significantly. I'm now at about 55-60ppm.
So, I'm planning to get some liquid chlorine and switch to that. But, I don't want to waste the stuff I already bought, so I'm thinking of throttling back the chlorinator and supplementing with the liquid. Any issues with this?

I'm also attaching my screenshot from pool math with other levels and open to any other advice.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Definately throttle back or stop. They dont go bad so save them for out of town vacations.

And a free tip, let your TA get down to 50/60 and your pH rise wont be so bad. It may even stop even with new plaster.

Draining 15k gallons every couple years isnt necessary when theres means to avoid it.

Reactions: proavia
Thank you for the feedback. I didn't realize they didn't go bad. Good to know.

Also, thanks for alkalinity tip. I had it in my head that higher alkalinity stabilized pH...back to pool school.

Thank you for the feedback. I didn't realize they didn't go bad. Good to know.

Also, thanks for alkalinity tip. I had it in my head that higher alkalinity stabilized pH...back to pool school.
If you continue to only chlorinate with tablets then a higher alkalinity may help you offset the pH reducing effects of the acid in the tablets. Just a side note.

One thing to check on the tablets is to make sure they do not have copper in them. Anything labeled “xtra” “blue” “blu” or weird names typically means copper.