New Pool Maintainer, need advice

Richard320 said:
low CH is supposed to cause foaming. Never having suffered from low Calcium, I couldn't say for sure...

That would be one side effect I've never seen. At ~2-4ppm CH, I can honestly say that foaming has never occurred. (I don't test it, it's hardly test-able without the Hanna Meter)

The 1" trichlor tablets will dissolve much faster in a skimmer than in a floater. They also have far less chlorine and CYA per each than a 3" tablet. For every 1ppm of FC delivered by trichlor, expect a .6ppm rise in CYA. 10 1" tablets won't do a whole heck of a lot for a 21K gallon pool. You can weigh 10 tablets and use the pool calculator to find out what that weight in trichlor will add for CYA to your pool. It's not very much. I would imagine less than 1 or 2ppm, if that.

So, when you say "some" chlorine, what exactly is "some"? Some, and fine, and good are words that carry little or no value when it comes to pools. Numbers are much more valuable.

Edit: don't place trichlor in the skimmer. When the pump is off, the trichlor will continue to dissolve creating high concentrations of chlorine in the skimmer and lines to the pump which could damage the equipment. If you're going to use trichlor, always use a floater or a feeder.

I don't have a number for you; I did a strip test right before I left for work, just to see if there was chlorine in the pool or not. So, there was 'some'. Also, I've been running the pump 24/7 and plan on doing so for another day or 2, which is why the trichlor went in the skimmer instead of a floater. Tomorrow I think I'll be adding the stabilizer. I want to get my CYA up as quickly as I can so I can start with normal operation and pH balancing.

The other thing about leaving Trichlor in the skimmer when the pump is off is that they are very low pH which will cause very low pH water in the skimmer which will slug the equipment when the pump starts back up, so it's a double whammy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.