ollieo

Aug 3, 2023
MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good evening. I’ve been reading through a lot of posts here and trying to familiarize myself with the community.

We are brand new pool owners (pool opened late May 2023) and have an inground vinyl liner pool 20x50. I want to note that this pool is brand new. It has never been opened until May 27th. They came out for two hours and showed us the equipment and left it dirty and debris/leaf filled. They never did any testing or come out to inspect it. That was it. It took us a good 5-7 days to clean it while it was unswimmable. Within a few days after our pool was full and from our pool company “opening the pool”, we were losing an inch of water overnight.

We notified the pool company and their response was that it was not urgent and didn’t put us on the schedule until almost 3.5 weeks later. In the meantime, with the guidance of another local pool company, we called American Leak Detection Services who put us on the calendar for mid-July.

The pool company showed up 3.5 weeks later and could not find a leak and blamed it on evaporation but told us to leave the scheduled visit from American Leak Detection.

American Leak Detection came out and found a hole puncture in the deep end on the corner and a leaking skimmer gasket. They also said the hole appeared to be from a tool that could have been dropped during install but obviously there is no way to know. This is pure speculation, however we never were in the pool. We had not been in this pool ever so we didn’t do it. He then said it appears the liner was cut too short to the gasket or the gasket is gone. Either way, he advised the only real way to fix it correctly is to replace the liner. He patched everything up but advised that even without the unknown source of the hole puncture, that replacing the skimmer gasket will ultimately lead to the liner shifting when the skimmer/gasket is unscrewed regardless of how careful they are. Ultimately they said the liner would not last but a few years. He said any builder would be do the right thing immediately.

The pool company is refusing to comply so we are considering alternative action. They only want to repair the gasket which we were told to never do, especially on a brand new pool that hasn’t ever been used or settled.

Does anyone have any guidance or experience with this sort of situation (the skimmer gasket being replaced)?

I appreciate any input. Thank you so much. I’ve also attached some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_8344.jpeg
    IMG_8344.jpeg
    441.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6846.jpeg
    IMG_6846.jpeg
    667.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_7890.jpeg
    IMG_7890.jpeg
    457.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Welcome! :wave: Horrible experience aside for a moment, I was not aware that replacing the skimmer gasket in a new pool was not recommended. In fact, I thought if there was ever a time to replace the gasket, now would be it. Changing a gasket in older pools is frowned upon because they become "st" and brittle, but being new it may still be pliable. Maybe @Mdragger88 can clarify?

You usually don’t cut the skimmer in until the pool is filled so unless the liner is already ill fitting & currently pulling it shouldn’t be a problem to replace the gaskets so long as you drain just below the skimmer. The best time to do it is now while the liner is pliable as Tex mentioned.
The worst case scenario is that the liner does shift or is already not in the correct position & they have to patch the whole area & cut in a new gasket. Unless they replace your liner of course. Which you have every right to demand instead of a patch if it isn’t lining up being as this is a new pool.
I would make sure you are home & watching the gasket replacement.
I will try to find some videos of the process & post them.

It also looks as if they have partially put in liner lock. If one area needs it I would request that they put it all around.
IMG_7167.jpeg

Reactions: ollieo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.