New pool in upstate NY...I've never owned a pool before so I'm looking for advice

New pool in upstate NY...I've never owned a pool before so I'm looking for ad...

Aww! Snow snow go away! Pool Builders everywhere need Spring to stay!

Everything for a reason though! Hold onto that excitement!
You'll have a pool this summer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Photobucket help.... Upload your pictures. Click on the picture you wish to post. On the right there will be boxes with code underneath a headline that says "share". Copy the text inside the IMG box, then come to TFP and paste it in the text area. It will show up once you add what you want to say and post it.

Photobucket help.... Upload your pictures. Click on the picture you wish to post. On the right there will be boxes with code underneath a headline that says "share". Copy the text inside the IMG box, then come to TFP and paste it in the text area. It will show up once you add what you want to say and post it.

thanks, I'll have to set up a photobucket account and play around with it.

Aww! Snow snow go away! Pool Builders everywhere need Spring to stay!

Everything for a reason though! Hold onto that excitement!
You'll have a pool this summer!

it was 32 yesterday....I really can't complain because we have had the mildest winter this year that I can remember. I just want my 50-60s back. I see everyone on here talking about 70s and 80s...I'm not greedy��

How in the world did this get by most of us? I am so sorry no one jumped in to help you out :(

You picked the correct filter. The bigger the better!

Kim
. Thanks Kim! It's nice to have that reassurance.

Update...my designer and pb met last week to map and paint everything out on the lawn. My designer forgot the new updated plan so I gave him some numbers from my plan (where the changes came from). I'm not sure what is going on but now there are 3 different plans. His, mine, and something else painted on my lawn �� The pb has elevation levels based on the pools location as painted but it is not what I have been spending hours on designing. the pool is 3 ft too close to the house which takes away some critical space for a walkway and furniture placement. If we move it away as in the plan then there is too much elevation change and the pool will stick out of the ground too much (it is already 1 foot out on the back corner). This is so frustrating.

I say it is time for them to come back when you are there! This is too much money and effort to not get it right from the start. Do NOT allow any work done until you see it in paint and HIS plans!

Kim
yes, I will.

On on a separate note where should I put deck jets? I have 3 kids (ages 2,5, and 8)

thanks,
karen

Will have to see your lay out with the paint and such. BUT I think this would be better!

Color Cascade Pool Fountain - Pool Supplies Superstore

This is just the first one that popped up on google. FUN and cheap and pretty and easy to remove. We love ours! It is fun to turn the pump on high turn the return so it pushed the top of the water so it is like a lazy river ride. We relax on the floats and cool off as we go under the "rainbow"

Kim

Will have to see your lay out with the paint and such. BUT I think this would be better!

Color Cascade Pool Fountain - Pool Supplies Superstore

This is just the first one that popped up on google. FUN and cheap and pretty and easy to remove. We love ours! It is fun to turn the pump on high turn the return so it pushed the top of the water so it is like a lazy river ride. We relax on the floats and cool off as we go under the "rainbow"

Kim
kim,
that looks awesome. I wonder how different this would be from the in deck deck jets. I really like the lights. Is it difficult to set up and take apart? We don't have any water features so I was thinking that something permanent would be nice.

My landscaper is coming back out on Monday to rectify all of the different plans.

Can an someone educate me on umbrella sleeves. How do you decide where to put them? Will they be damaged/ ruin the concrete decking with strong winds. It seems like a less expensive way to have umbrellas (since you do not need to buy the stands) and they may be more stable. Thanks...

kim,
that looks awesome. I wonder how different this would be from the in deck deck jets. I really like the lights. Is it difficult to set up and take apart? We don't have any water features so I was thinking that something permanent would be nice.

My landscaper is coming back out on Monday to rectify all of the different plans.

Can an someone educate me on umbrella sleeves. How do you decide where to put them? Will they be damaged/ ruin the concrete decking with strong winds. It seems like a less expensive way to have umbrellas (since you do not need to buy the stands) and they may be more stable. Thanks...

We have 3 umbrella sleeves. 2 positioned very badly. Put them on the side of the pool where you can shade from the sun. I have one in my long bench. It was put there for volleyball net, but it works great for shade in the late afternoon. I can tip my umbrella a little. But just think about your sun and where it is in late afternoon. I think one in the sun shelf is a good choice too.
Some position them for placement of lounge chairs along the edge of the pool. I haven't had any issues. But I always take mine down if it gets windy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow! I wouldn't let them do anything until everybody's plans match up. That is frustrating!

The fountain I linked to screws into the return. It is not permanent. It is very adjustable and easy to do and undo as wanted/needed.

Kim

That looks fun! How does it get it's power for the lights though? Is it some kind of battery you eventually replace?

I just checked the installation manual and there is no mention of batteries. I'm thinking of getting it for my neighbor to check it out. Thanks!

Any more ore suggestions on umbrella sleeves. I'm nervous because I think I know where my furniture will go but don't want to put unnecessary hole in my brand new deck. It is hard to get an idea of placement now when the sun is not where it will be when we will be using it.

We have about 8-10 umbrella sleeves in our deck and use 0 of them. Well, we used one one time. The second year we added a pavilion. We do have umbrella sleeves on our three resort tables which the umbrellas stay in permanently in-season, but they just get folded down after a pool session or if too windy.

thanks for all of the advice on sleeves!

I need to decide on pool light placement and deckjet placement by tomorrow. I've drawn up 3 options for the lights on the top and two options for the deck jets but please let me know if you have other ideas. for the lights, on options 1 and 3 the light on the 14' side will be the 320 accent light from hayward. the other two are the 12v universal lights. For the jets, I like option 1 because the jet near the steps will be able to splash onto the elongate step....thanks

lights001.jpg

Lights:

-Option 3 BUT with the light on the 30' side as close to the back corner as you can get it so it is not right in the "swim lane". Two reasons for this.......if someone does a flip turn you do not want them pushing off of the light and if you are doing night laps you do not want to swim right into the light.

Deck jets:

I would not want a jet by the steps just in case someone just wants to sit there and not be splashed. I guess you could turn them off if that is the case. Other than that either one should work.

Kim

Lights:

-Option 3 BUT with the light on the 30' side as close to the back corner as you can get it so it is not right in the "swim lane". Two reasons for this.......if someone does a flip turn you do not want them pushing off of the light and if you are doing night laps you do not want to swim right into the light.

Deck jets:

I would not want a jet by the steps just in case someone just wants to sit there and not be splashed. I guess you could turn them off if that is the case. Other than that either one should work.

Kim

Completely agree with Kim on both. The deck jets with all 4 in a row at the back there would look really pretty!

Lights:

Deck jets:

Kim

Thanks Kim! I like option 3 the best too. I'm going to check on the ability to control each jet. This one is a more difficult decision.

Completely agree with Kim on both. The deck jets with all 4 in a row at the back there would look really pretty!

Thanks for the opinion, it is making me think. I was leaning toward the first option on the deckjets because I thought it would be fun for the kids to be able to play in it on the elongated shelf. is your preference just based on appearance?

Thanks Kim! I like option 3 the best too. I'm going to check on the ability to control each jet. This one is a more difficult decision.

Thanks for the opinion, it is making me think. I was leaning toward the first option on the deckjets because I thought it would be fun for the kids to be able to play in it on the elongated shelf. is your preference just based on appearance?

Yes. From a practical standpoint, I have 6 year old twins. The placement the other way didn't look like it was actually on the shelf but was more over the shallow water?

It depends on the age and height of the kids but I would put bubblers on the shelf for the kids or put the deck jets more fully over it to lessen chances of them falling in to play with them.

Visually it just looked really really pretty on the back. Lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.