New pool in Tucson

Progress is going well now that the soil and line-reroute is taken care of.

Mandatory picture of the pool equipment
IMG_4165.jpg

Plumbing lines
IMG_4172.jpg

And around the pool (notice how nice the compacted soil looks!)
IMG_4175-Version2.jpg

Rebar
IMG_4180.jpg

IMG_4185.jpg

IMG_4189.jpg

IMG_7427.jpg

Not many interesting pictures, mostly just improvements to small things and electrical.

Rebar is done!
IMG_7884.jpg

This side got double the rebar to increase the strength along the wall. They also made a slightly deeper trench to stabilize the base along the wall. You can see the two layers of rebar.
IMG_4259.jpg

Electrical work -- pretty basic. Just a simple pool light. The trenches are still open, hopefully they will screen and backfill tomorrow. They ran a copper wire from the pool pump to the pool, and all around the pool under where the coping will be.
IMG_4258.jpg

Workers came and made some final adjustments.
IMG_4250.jpg

Lot's of fun Friday (just go around to processing the pictures).

Here is my new pool.
IMG_4302.jpg

(Let's just pretend it's already April 1st : )

The crew showed up bright an early. They kids got to watch part of the process before they had to leave for school.
IMG_7907.jpg

They put up the mandatory tarp to screen the house from getting messy. They didn't run the screen all the way around, so the foreman's truck got gunite sprayed on it (you can see it in the corner) -- I'm glad it wasn't mine.
IMG_4277.jpg

Three trucks of gunite were used. It was pretty cool watching things appears out of nothing.
IMG_8003.jpg

IMG_8066.jpg

IMG_8011.jpg

My steps! I wanted long, elegant ones. They formed them without moulds. In fact, quite a bit of time, they looked like they were playing in the mud, throwing it (by hand) to fill a hole, then scrapping it down
IMG_8041.jpg

What do you do when you work yourself into the corner?
IMG_8067.jpg

It looks like you just walk out.
IMG_8072.jpg

There was some slurry that went into the trench with the plumbing. They said it isn't a big deal
IMG_8052.jpg

E9A - thanks. I love the view, which is why I had engineering problems -- I wanted the view even though it was likely to be difficult.

Here is a set of pictures looking out from the edge of the pool.
Looking NW
IMG_8110.jpg

Looking N
IMG_8112.jpg

Looking NE
IMG_8113.jpg

Looking E
IMG_8115.jpg

Looking SE at dusk.
IMG_8102.jpg

Looking SE at night (I love the city lights)
IMG_8106.jpg

Nice sunny day
IMG_4297.jpg

What an interesting build. I'm sorry you had some unexpected expenses. We had to put off our deck a year so I know the feeling of having to wait on something you really want.

But dang, everyone has an amazing view. Pine trees suck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Vettechick99,
I'm still trying to figure out the decking. I figured that I could just delete the pool deck from my build, which would offset most of the extra expenses; however, it turns out that the coping is combined with it. The "basic" pool doesn't come with any type coping, so whatever coping you want, it's an extra charge. Also, the cement trucks won't mess with you for less than 300 sq ft. So, right now, I am not sure what to do about coping.

Option A - spend 3K that I really don't have for normal decking, albeit pretty small
Option B - spend 2K for pavers and do only coping. The coping would cost more itself, but the total would be less.
Option C - go get 30 bags of cement and put on some type of coping myself.

Anyone else have ideas?

Hi cbink,
It's a bit of a trick. The pool doesn't actually have a infinity edge -- no catch basin.

The negative edge is setup to have the water be about 1 1/2" below the lip, which will keep the water in, usually. The negative edge will have blue, water-like tile that makes the lower water level not be noticeable (basically a way to fake it and a much lower cost).

That is looking fantastic Theep! Am I right understanding the pool builder included 0 sq/ft of decking in your build? I know we added to ours but we had a base minimum decking that more then covered the coping. I can't see any pool builder building a pool with no coping.... not sure how that would ever pass an inspection. Maybe I am ignorant though....

The original plan was good and made sense. We had 530 sq ft of decking.

However, when the problem happened, I wanted to go with minimal coping and use the decking money to pay for the extra soil work. I thought that the 530 sq ft of decking was in addition to the coping, but it is not. And you can't get *only* the coping if you do concrete, it must be at least 350 sq ft (the minimum for a truck).

I was hoping to find an inexpensive option, but there doesn't seem to be one (at least that I can figure out)

- - - Updated - - -

Love your signature by the way - made me chuckle!

I was wondering if anyone noticed it. Thanks! I think it is funny.

Hi Vettechick99,
I'm still trying to figure out the decking. I figured that I could just delete the pool deck from my build, which would offset most of the extra expenses; however, it turns out that the coping is combined with it. The "basic" pool doesn't come with any type coping, so whatever coping you want, it's an extra charge. Also, the cement trucks won't mess with you for less than 300 sq ft. So, right now, I am not sure what to do about coping.

Option A - spend 3K that I really don't have for normal decking, albeit pretty small
Option B - spend 2K for pavers and do only coping. The coping would cost more itself, but the total would be less.
Option C - go get 30 bags of cement and put on some type of coping myself.

Anyone else have ideas?

Gosh, IDK. Your pool seems really close to your patio. But option B is just putting some sort of stone on top of the rim of the pool, but not extending the pavers from your patio to the pool?

We've had to wait a year for our deck. We borrowed a wooden platform until we could figure out what we wanted and where the deck would go (what our PB offered was only part of the way around the pool and that cost as much as the pool. ????). Anyway, I really want stone, but I would have to wait a few more years for that, and DH wants something now. We decided on concrete and our concrete guy is starting next week. Soon we should have something other than old wood and grass around our pool. We've been redneckin' it too long!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.