New Pool, Hose Filled. Super High Alk.

If you've been in control of all chemicals added, and you are sure you haven't added cyanuric acid (aka CYA aka stabilizer) in any form, then you could certainly go ahead and add some CYA. If you aren't sure, best wait for your test kit (which should arrive soon, as you mentioned ordering it 4 or 5 days ago, I think ?).

If the only form of powdered shock you've added is the cal hypo, then you know that no CYA came in by that route.

There is a liquid (slurry) form of CYA available, usually only from pool stores, which will go into the water very quickly. That liquid form is more expensive, however, than the more commonly available granular CYA. If you use granular, put it in a sock, in front of a return, and squeeze the sock from time to time. At this time of year, if you have cold water in the pool, and hope to close for winter soon, I would have some concern that the CYA in a sock will take a long time to dissolve (it goes more quickly in warm summer water temperatures).

Another approach that I have sometimes used to get CYA into new water quickly is to use dichlor (a form of chlorine 'shock' which also contains stabilizer). Dichlor will dissolve pretty readily in a bucket of water (e.g. one pound dichlor into 2 gallons of water in a bucket) and can then be poured into the pool. The downside of dichlor is that it will add a relatively large amount of chlorine along with the stabilizer. Play around with PoolMath (effects of adding chemicals, down near the bottom of the page) to better understand this. EDITED to add: Note that adding dichlor also drops pH significantly, as does adding straight CYA for that matter - as these are both acidic chemicals. END EDIT

Regarding the idea of a floater with trichlor tablets (standard 'pucks') -- those are very slow to dissolve, so probably won't do much for you short term to add either stabilizer or chlorine, especially if your water is cold.

I'm a little concerned with the color change you described in one of your earlier posts -- the water going from turquoise to light green, in your words. The greenish color might indicate iron precipitating out when you added chlorine initially. Your printed test results do show some iron content in the water. If that was the case, adding a lot more chlorine (as you would do with the dichlor approach) could make this much worse. Was the water clear when you observed the turquoise and then green hues? Or was it ever cloudy?

Thinking out loud, if you are positive you have not added CYA in any form, and if time is of the essence (closing coming up soon), the liquid CYA is probably the best bet, although more costly.

If test kit arrival is imminent, check levels yourself first. What is your water temperature?

Oh, and if you decide to add CYA, don't overdo it -- 20 to 30 ppm is plenty at this time of year. If you've been reading on the forum, you probably already realize that MANY people have trouble because of excessive CYA -- the stuff is not easy to get rid of once it's in the water.

Hey All,

I have a different question all together....

I have the Pentair Cartridge filter, as seen in my signature.. It's 150sq/ft cartridge, The 175 sq/ft and the 200 sq/ft cartridge are the same length and my cartridge has the P/N for all 3 on the 160 sq/ft cartridge...

Does that mean I could upgrade to a 175 or a 200 sq/ft cartridge? Would it be beneficial to do so? My pool is 15k some odd gallons. I have read the more filtration the better.

Thanks,

-ThaChad

If you've been in control of all chemicals added, and you are sure you haven't added cyanuric acid (aka CYA aka stabilizer) in any form, then you could certainly go ahead and add some CYA. If you aren't sure, best wait for your test kit (which should arrive soon, as you mentioned ordering it 4 or 5 days ago, I think ?). Yes, Test kit will be here this week. The place I ordered it did not ship it for a few days after I ordered it.. I bought the Taylor kit, because the reagents are available locally if I ever need them in a pinch. I am sure there is no CYA in the pool. I actually took my water into another pool dealer today and had them test it, their computer showed almost identical results and showed no CYA.

If the only form of powdered shock you've added is the cal hypo, then you know that no CYA came in by that route.

There is a liquid (slurry) form of CYA available, usually only from pool stores, which will go into the water very quickly. That liquid form is more expensive, however, than the more commonly available granular CYA. If you use granular, put it in a sock, in front of a return, and squeeze the sock from time to time. At this time of year, if you have cold water in the pool, and hope to close for winter soon, I would have some concern that the CYA in a sock will take a long time to dissolve (it goes more quickly in warm summer water temperatures).

Another approach that I have sometimes used to get CYA into new water quickly is to use dichlor (a form of chlorine 'shock' which also contains stabilizer). Dichlor will dissolve pretty readily in a bucket of water (e.g. one pound dichlor into 2 gallons of water in a bucket) and can then be poured into the pool. The downside of dichlor is that it will add a relatively large amount of chlorine along with the stabilizer. Play around with PoolMath (effects of adding chemicals, down near the bottom of the page) to better understand this.

Regarding the idea of a floater with trichlor tablets (standard 'pucks') -- those are very slow to dissolve, so probably won't do much for you short term to add either stabilizer or chlorine, especially if your water is cold.

I'm a little concerned with the color change you described in one of your earlier posts -- the water going from turquoise to light green, in your words. The greenish color might indicate iron precipitating out when you added chlorine initially. Your printed test results do show some iron content in the water. If that was the case, adding a lot more chlorine (as you would do with the dichlor approach) could make this much worse. Was the water clear when you observed the turquoise and then green hues? Or was it ever cloudy? I don't recall it ever being cloudy... The first thing I put in the pool water before the chlorine was Metal remover. It obviously didn't remove all of it, but most of it. My hose water has a yellow tint, so I assume Iron. It turned from the clear/yellow water, to greenish blue, obviously the liner is blue water color.. then the green began to go away with the addition of an algaecide, then finally clear once I put shock in..

Thinking out loud, if you are positive you have not added CYA in any form, and if time is of the essence (closing coming up soon), the liquid CYA is probably the best bet, although more costly.

If test kit arrival is imminent, check levels yourself first. What is your water temperature?

Oh, and if you decide to add CYA, don't overdo it -- 20 to 30 ppm is plenty at this time of year. If you've been reading on the forum, you probably already realize that MANY people have trouble because of excessive CYA -- the stuff is not easy to get rid of once it's in the water.

The 2nd pool store I went to today, recommended that I put 5 lbs of shock in the pool a bottle of algaecide and close the pool down for the year. He said he didn't think that the CYA was the cause of the chlorine going away, but that he said I need to "SHOCK" the pool by putting 5lbs of Shock into it all at once and not over a day or two, he said me having put it in over several days was the problem... The pool needs to be jolted.

But he didn't try to sell me anything, just offered input.

-ThaChad

Okay, I went out of town, but i'm back! My Test kit was here when I returned!

I tested the PH and it is 7.8, 7.8 & 8.0 look virtually identical on the color chart, but i believe it's a tiny bit lighter than the 8.0 color.

I tested the CYA and filled the tube up all the way to the top and could still see the Black dot, so I assume that is probably 0 or at least less than 30 which is the smallest number on the scale... Which seams weird, being that 30 is what you want right? so one would think the test would have a smaller number than 30, since 30 is the max you want..

FC is at "0" again, big surprise there..

-ThaChad

That was a long absence! How is the water looking? Did you add chlorine to get to 2-3 FC?

Pool had a bunch of leaves, water was still crystal clear.

I left the pump running 24/7 on low stage, I hooked up Diver Dave and turned the pump on high for 24 hours. There are still a couple of leaves, but its a out 98%.

I did not add anything yet.

I'm not sure how my PH got as high as it did, I had the return jet breaking the top of the water pretty hard, because the PH was low from adding Muriatic Acid to get rid of the alk.

Tomorrow I will test the ALK and see where we are at..

It's getting cold. I need to get the pool shut down in the next week.

-ThaChad

pH probably got high from all that aerating. It is time to stop worrying about TA.

Please fill out a signature with your pool info so that we don't have to backtrack through your threads to get the info we need to advise you. Click settings at the top right, then signature on the left.

Here is information on closing: Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool

For closing, you need to make sure there is no algae present, but to do that you need to know your CYA level which means getting CYA up to a testable range: 30. Can you afford the extra expense of liquid CYA to add 20 more ppm? The advantage to liquid is that it will show up on your tests within hours vs a day or two with the granular you might have already purchased. Your FC level for the "shock level" required in the above link about closing is based on this: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a signature... I don't know why it isn't posting!? You san see my signature in above posts, no idea why it is no longer showing, i just checked, it is still set in my Profile.

I could not find any Liquid CYA locally.

-ThaChad

Under the advanced editor, your last two posts had the "Show Signature" block unchecked. I fixed this post.

Add 30ppm of that granular CYA in a sock before a return. Let it sit for 10 minutes and then squeeze it periodically over the next half hour until it is all dissolved. Then manually add chlorine to bring your FC to target level of 6ppm. About 24 hours later, your CYA should register. Then you can start the closing process by raising FC to shock level, etc.

Okay, I ran the full range of tests today:

Tested CYA today, It measures 40ppm.
Tested PH today, It measures 7.6.
Tested FC today, It measures 5ppm.
Tested CC today, It measures 0.2ppm.
Tested TA today, It measures 80ppm.
Tested CH today, It measures 50ppm.

I believe everything is in correct ranges?

Pool floor is free of debris, top water if skimming as I type this.

I have 5 bags (1lb) of BioGuard Burnout 3 Chlorine Shock & a 1qt bottle of BioGuard backup 2 algae preventative.

Thanks,

-ThaChad

So if I understand correctly. I want to bring FC level to 16ppm, add algae preventitave per directions on bottle, run pump for 24-48 hours, then drain water level to 6-12" below the return jet, drain the cartridge filter of water, put pump/filter into garage. Install winter cover.

What about air bags? to prevent cover from collapsing inside the pool?

Thanks,

-ThaChad

Do the FC first. Then wait until 24 hours (or do an OCLT) and then add the polyquat. Polyquat will drop your FC; that's why you wait until you are sure there is nothing going on algae-wise before adding it.

Personally, I wait another 24 hours after polyquat and raise back up to shock level or close, but that is overkill for most pools.

Okay, shutting down the pool today.

FC - 12.2 ppm
CC - 0.4 ppm
PH - 7.8 - 8.0
TA - 80 ppm
CH - 70 ppm
CYA - 40ppm

the TFP link in above posts for winterizing said I should have a 16ppm for Shock at 40ppm of CYA.

I've read alot of other things that all say my FC should be at 3-4ppm for closing as high chlorine will eat away winter covers and algicide?

Am I right to close the pool at 12.2ppm FC?

I am going to vaccume the pool, drain 3" below return jet and put the. winter cover on.

The pump/filter is a cartridge filter, so I'll drain that and put it in my heated garage.

Thanks

-ThaChad

Well, Back up and running!

Filled the pool back up a couple days ago.

Got a lot of work to do! Had a ton of leaves on the bottom (I didn't put a cover on it) and now having added back my Local Water Supply, I will certainly have to fight back down the TA and Iron.

I am going to circulate and clean all the leaves out before testing the water and go from there.

-ThaChad

Today's Test:

FC - 0.00
CC - 0.00
PH - 7.2
TA - 160
CH - 60
CYA - 45

I used one of the pool chemical calculators online and it said I only need to add 3qts of 8.25% Bleach, But there is no way that is enough!

Can anyone recommend me a proper amount to add?

Thanks

-ThaChad

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.