New pool finish... problems with finish and advise needed.

bren728

Apr 5, 2023
Southwest FL
Hi everyone!
New here from SW Florida and need advise.
I am told by our contracted pool co. that this issue has never been seen before so maybe you will find it interesting. I imagine many of you have seen it all and then some!
Dec. 15th final payment was made on a new "Miami quartz plaster" pool finish for my Moms pool.
This pool is over 50 yrs old... we were told it is one of the first Ester Williams pools ever done. It still has the original brass skimmer basket lid with the logo.
Very few have seen a bottom shaped like this one. It used to have a dive board at the deep end but it was a danger with a few minor injuries due to the design of the bottom.
Mom has owned this home since 1978 ... and the finish has been re-done at least 3 or 4 times.
30 yrs ago whomever did the finish closed the bottom drain ... I think at that time there may have been a scare with a child drowning due to hair caught in a drain
but I am not certain and step-dad is no longer alive to ask. Whatever the case, there has never been a problem draining the pool via syphon and electric pump or keeping the bottom clean with brush and vacuum.
I say all of this because the contractor that just did the latest finish is blaming issues I will present on it NOT having a bottom drain and high calcium levels. Since that it was tested and at 500... the high end of acceptable.
This finish is mostly white with some tiny blue specks and extremely rough... like cut your hand rough ( sharp crystals as shown) and not nearly the amount of blue quarts shown in sample. I believe something
white was added perhaps for more coverage and save money but I can't prove that.
When they said they were "done" and we were to be responsible from that point, there was so much debris (tiny rocks and grit) on the bottom, that when scooping it with the net it was very hard to lift.
The pump had to be taken apart twice after trying to vacuum due to so much getting past the filter causing it to freeze up.
Upon calling them with the complaint, they sent an independent pool guy with his own vacuum and he wouldn't touch it for the same reason.
The pool co sent him again and he put in an Echo dolphin (which I love and would like to know your favorite brand, model)
He brushed the pool over a week ago and has not been back.... he only left instructions to continue brushing, start and stop with my Mom.
I do not live here... my elderly mom is not capable of lifting this out or cleaning it. I and my son whom is an experienced pool tech have maintained the chemicals and cleaning it out.
I have removed and cleaned the filter 3 times since it has been there. The debris coming off is non-stop...the photo shown with the filter is from Feb 28th and the 2nd photo is from yesterday.
A few people in construction have instructed me to demand a new finish because they have never seen this happen and feel it is clearly failing.
Today the pool contractor agreed to put in a new mini pebble plaster finish... I did not ask for mini pebble but have read that it is a bit more expensive and durable.
I feel badly for them that it has come to this, but I am very frustrated at the whole situation. He still blames it on there being no bottom drain and says that he will not be responsible for start up.
Is a new start up of this mini pebble finish going to be difficult? I have read some instructions online regarding new start ups.... do's and don'ts, but wasn't sure if mini pebble has unique requirements or easier.
After what I have been through trying to get this last finish clean I can't imagine it being any more difficult.
We have pressure washed old finishes off, shoveled and pumped it out by the buckets full so I can't imagine a start up would be that hard... IMO they should do the start up also, but I am willing to compromise
in order to get it done right. Thank you for your thoughts and any advise!

Attachments

• 20230227_123225.jpg
    20230227_123225.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230403_173435.jpg
    20230403_173435.jpg
    571.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20230405-194054_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230405-194054_Gallery.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Resized_20221207_135337001.jpg
    Resized_20221207_135337001.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
He still blames it on there being no bottom drain and says that he will not be responsible for start up.
That's is a ridiculous response by the PB. There are many, many pools without a bottom drain, In fact there are many new pools being built without a bottom drain.

Water chemistry is key to any startup. However, you can go to the mfg. website to get their startup procedure. It won't vary by too much from the attached which is the NPC standard.

Don't feel too bad for the PB, he clearly knows something went wrong with the application or he would have fought harder not to replace it. He is using the lack of a bottom drain as an excuse.

Ensure the PB chips out the recently applied plaster. You want a good surface for the new pebble plaster to adhere to.

Attachments

• npc-start-up-card-lsi.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • NPC Swimming Pool Start Up.pdf
    382.7 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: bren728
That's is a ridiculous response by the PB. There are many, many pools without a bottom drain, In fact there are many new pools being built without a bottom drain.

Water chemistry is key to any startup. However, you can go to the mfg. website to get their startup procedure. It won't vary by too much from the attached which is the NPC standard.

Don't feel too bad for the PB, he clearly knows something went wrong with the application or he would have fought harder not to replace it. He is using the lack of a bottom drain as an excuse.

Ensure the PB chips out the recently applied plaster. You want a good surface for the new pebble plaster to adhere to.
Ok! Thank you very much Herman!

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.