New Pool - Filling it currently

I do not know if CYA has been added. I do have the test kit tho - no idea if that will help answer your question.
It will answer it once you test. :) The CYA test needs to be room temp so if it's chilly today, or the pool is still cold from the fill water, bring the sample inside and let it warm up first. Then take it back outside for the CYA test which prefers overhead sun.

Reactions: meow_meow
It will answer it once you test. :) The CYA test needs to be room temp so if it's chilly today, or the pool is still cold from the fill water, bring the sample inside and let it warm up first. Then take it back outside for the CYA test which prefers overhead sun.

Today is 7 days since pool fill after counting.

Testing (struggled a bit with exactness of colors, even outside, so I will give a range for a couple).

PH: 8.0 - 8.2
TA: 60 PPM
CH: 220-300 PPN
CYA: 0 pool

I didn’t test carbonate alkalinity since I’m not sure how to do that.

What startup guide are you following?

Why don’t you have CYA added?

What is your FC?

(struggled a bit with exactness of colors, even outside, so I will give a range for a couple).
That's OK, its plenty close enough for what we need to do today.

You need to get granular CYA soaking in front of a return in a sock, carrot on a stick style, so it doesn't touch the wall.

Your FC will burn off in an hour or two without any CYA, so keep tabs on it a few times a day until the CYA is registering on the test. Do *NOT* just go crazy with CYA though. It only comes out quickly by draining, so be patient after adding to ensure it has time to mix/disolve. Also, the builder may be overestimating your gallons and you overshoot the target because of it. Get 20 CYA going and creep up the rest.

What startup guide are you following?

Why don’t you have CYA added?

What is your FC?

To be honest, I’m relying on the pool builder. What may be a mistake. Hence, why I’m testing - following the NPT, but today (day 7) is first time I’m testing as I just got a kit after a shopping delay.

Attempting to test CYA, but I’ve added 8 scoops of r-0870 power and it still hasn’t turned pink. So unsure if I still need to keep adding more powder?

I texted the builder (who happens to be on a family vacation as of 2 days ago until Wednesday) and asked if he “added CYA” and his response “No CYA for first 30 days.” So, here we are.

That's OK, its plenty close enough for what we need to do today.

You need to get granular CYA soaking in front of a return in a sock, carrot on a stick style, so it doesn't touch the wall.

Your FC will burn off in an hour or two without any CYA, so keep tabs on it a few times a day until the CYA is registering on the test. Do *NOT* just go crazy with CYA though. It only comes out quickly by draining, so be patient after adding to ensure it has time to mix/disolve. Also, the builder may be overestimating your gallons and you overshoot the target because of it. Get 20 CYA going and creep up the rest.

Newdude, please see my response above. Builder said “No cya for first 30 days.” So here we are. Unsure what to do. He has me adding 2 gallons of liquid chlorine tomorrow per his instructions before he left.

So, I’m a bit at a loss for what to do. Sorry, kind of a Darn show on my end - I probably should have asked more questions prior to him heading out of town. I was just smashed with work (still am) and just trusted he’d be on top of it. I know he’ll be back out this Wednesday. He’s been fantastic throughout the whole process, but I’m feeling a bit lost - my fault and maybe his. I should have been more prepared.

To be honest, I’m relying on the pool builder. What may be a mistake. Hence, why I’m testing - following the NPT, but today (day 7) is first time I’m testing as I just got a kit after a shopping delay.
We cannot comment on your water chemistry without knowing what startup process is being followed.

Attempting to test CYA, but I’ve added 8 scoops of r-0870 power and it still hasn’t turned pink. So unsure if I still need to keep adding more powder?
You use r-870 to test FC.

That means yiu have no FC in the water. Not good but that happens when you have no CYA.

I would get and maintain 3 ppm of chlorine and 30-40 ppm of CYA.

I texted the builder (who happens to be on a family vacation as of 2 days ago until Wednesday) and asked if he “added CYA” and his response “No CYA for first 30 days.” So, here we are.

Again, what startup guide is being followed?

You will not maintain FC without CYA.

Either turn it all over to him or follow a startup guide…

So, I’m a bit at a loss for what to do. Sorry, kind of a Darn show on my end - I probably should have asked more questions prior to him heading out of town
It's really no biggie. Many people have to let the PB handle the first month for warranty purposes. Yours will be no worse than theirs and we can fix anything after the fact.

If you go rogue and take over, you'll need to ensure the PB doesn't come add his own CYA down the road. Then follow Allen's advice above

Also, it's long past time to fill out your Signature. You got yourself a pool now. :) list all the big details and model#s at the equipment pad.

It's really no biggie. Many people have to let the PB handle the first month for warranty purposes. Yours will be no worse than theirs and we can fix anything after the fact.

If you go rogue and take over, you'll need to ensure the PB doesn't come add his own CYA down the road. Then follow Allen's advice above
Ok. Thanks. I’m going to follow the PB process and just add the chlorine that he’s told me to follow tomorrow and leave it at that. He will be taking care of it for the first 30 days for the most part, other me adding the chlorine tomorrow.

Hopefully I can get it sorted out with the help of the forum after 30 days. Feel a bit overwhelmed and dumb right now, but thanks for not making me feel anymore so!

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hopefully I can get it sorted out with the help of the forum after 30 days.
We got you. It's just another day at the office for the fine folks at TFP.
Feel a bit overwhelmed and dumb right now,
It's information overload right now, but any snippet of it is stupid easy and you'll look back and laugh in a month or two.

Testing (struggled a bit with exactness of colors, even outside, so I will give a range for a couple).

PH: 8.0 - 8.2
TA: 60 PPM
CH: 220-300 PPN
CYA: 0 pool
Hey neighbor I am not sure what side of town you live on. However, our water source is probably just about the same. I would check your TA levels. Take a sample and test your outside hose spigot. On my side of town is TA 140. Don’t get me wrong, TA 60 is great, I would just confirm.

M,

Sorry, I haven't checked in for several days... busy on my OB pool. Most pool builders have their own rules, not always based on great science but if that's what's needed to get your warranty it's the right thing to do. TFP methods will take care of the most likely issue which is probably just a little algae at worst. Do get used to running your tests while he's doing his thing. Try running a complete set of tests to get started and post the results here. Check your fill water too and post that result as well. Looks like your pH was high and that's pretty normal for a new pool. You might as well go to HD and get some muriatic acid. I much prefer the 31.45% since it's more cost effective but does take a little more care in handling... stay up wind so you don't have a nasty coughing fit. After you get the OK from the PB be ready to take over and on your way to TFP bliss. In addition to acid make sure you have some CYA granules, liquid chlorine on hand. Be very cautious about any chemicals the PB gives you or recommends. Even some of the best pool builders around don't know anything about best practices in pool maintenance.

Please take some time to fill in your signature. Here's how. This will save time in getting answers to you. Always remember this site is staffed with volunteers and many are experts in their field. We don't sell anything on this site so you can be assured advice is never conflicted by trying to sell you something you don't need. Also, get to know Pool Math. This app is a tremendous tool that will calculate any chemical additions for your. It's amazingly accurate.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Reactions: Dirk
Most pool builders have their own rules, not always based on great science but if that's what's needed to get your warranty it's the right thing to do. TFP methods will take care of the most likely issue which is probably just a little algae at worst.
If it were my pool, I might have a say about what the PB is doing, but that aside, no warranty could be voided for maintaining FC. The PB doesn't even need to know you are doing it. Practice with your new kit everyday, at least with the FC. If it's low, top it off. Use only pool-grade liquid chlorine (that just means no additives), and figure out how much to add each day using the Pool Math app. Maintain your FC throughout the 30-day "PB break-in."

And there's no real reason to even sneak around about it. If it makes you more comfortable, just send an email to the builder and let him know you're going to add a little chlorine each day. Say it just like that. If he doesn't push back, your warranty is safe.

Personally, I would not want to SLAM a brand new finish trying to rid it of algae, and keeping your FC up will completely avoid that possibility. That's all I wanted to add, as too many cooks in a new pool owner's thread can become quite daunting.

Keep up the good work, and congrats on your new pool!!

Last edited:
Reactions: aussieta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.