New Pool Construction Project in Houston: 2nd Time is a Charm

Very cool! Can't wait to see how it turns out. And kudos to them for working on a Saturday!

Between the days lost to the overzealous plumbing inspectors and the days lost to precipitation, I guess they're trying to make up for lost time. They only get paid at job completion. I applaud their zeal, even if it is somewhat coerced by my PB.

Yesterday, the boulder guys showed up before the torrential rain did. They managed to do something...but not too sure what that something is. We left to go visit some friends on the other side of town (for those of you not familiar with Houston...the other side of town is more than 90 minutes--one way!). By the time we got back, it was dark. Here's what I see today.

15859289512_ae3c398aa6_c.jpg

And to what do my wandering eyes appear? Is that a bit of the finished decking playing peek-a-boo???!!!

15857931631_282e4bb631_c.jpg

Do you think they are done?

It looks like they only put the facade on about 1/4 of the decking. My PB estimated it would take them about 4 full days to complete. I think it will take them a bit longer. If they only got about 25% done on Day 1, it will take 4 days to do the decking. I have no idea how long it will take them to put in my floating sidewalk to the garage service door and front gate. They're not here today, so we'll see how much they get done before Turkey Day.

With the hurricane-force winds blowing here today, some of the plastic has blown off my new decking. I am able to take a picture of what they worked on yesterday. This is an area on the backside of the pool where you can see how the decking blends in with the coping.

15675076448_84af6d8823_c.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The landscaping dudes are coming over this morning to advise on how to turn my cement pond into a venerable tropical oasis. I need some small stuff in front. I like sago palms, since they grow slowly and are relatively indestructible. I realize that they're poisonous to people and pets, but my kids and dogs didn't bother them at our last house. I've got ideas for the back and sides.

Anybody have non-sago ideas for the 2 planters in front?

I have no trees in my back yard, and there are no leaf-shedding flora anywhere nearby. I'm sticking with plants and trees who like to keep their clothing on all year 'round. I learned that lesson with my last pool,which was surrounded with oak trees and crepe myrtles. I can vouch for the Polaris 280...this thing was worth it's weight in gold.

The boulder guys were working like crazy today! If they had brought enough sand, they would have completed the formation of my decking. Oh well, at least it's getting closer water fill time.

Once the base layer (regular concrete) is poured and cured, they come back and add about 2" of brown-colored concrete and smooth it out. After it sets up a bit, they add a layer of iron oxide to give it a red tint.

15879793555_5b9a063874_c.jpg

They trowel in the red pigment to make it blotchy then let it set up some more. Then they throw down tan release powder, bring out the "boulder moulds" and pound them into the semi-set tinted concrete.

15692490580_1e196c86c8_c.jpg

The fire pit was embellished with the same process.

15257538194_66243276c8_c.jpg
15879792915_806cf7f581_c.jpg

There are only a few sections left to go....

15257537644_471e982aca_c.jpg

They also started work on my floating sidewalk, but it got dark before I snapped any pics. They should be back tomorrow morning to complete the concrete work, then power wash on Monday. Then....dare I say?....final preps for plaster??? Probably just jinxed myself there, didn't I?

Decking is complete! (Or at least the concrete work is complete. Gonna come back on Saturday to power wash it all.) Here's the final pics. Some of the concrete is still fresh (even though it looks dry....danged mold release powder!). Cleanup and plaster remain!

15698653518_4a89598cd1_c.jpg

15263885324_c00ddce80a_c.jpg

15886149325_eaf46cc382_c.jpg

15263885654_bebd85c109_c.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.