New pool build June(started)

jmac4

Aug 8, 2019
Ohio
Hey everyone,
We plan on starting our pool build end of May/early June. Just got our permit turned in so hopefully everything goes smooth with the county and we can start building. We will be doing most of the work ourselves.

We still need to get a few things ordered,
- pool lights?(struggling to pick some out)
-Saltwater system(leaning towards Hayward AQR940
-pool heater (leaning towards raypak m8450ti)
-robotic cleaner(leaning towards Dolphin m600)
Let me know what you think about that equipment and also if you think the equipment listed in my signature will be ok.
Here’s pool info so far
18x36x27 L IG vinyl, polymer walls, 22k gal, 1.5 HP Hayward super pump, 24” Hayward topmount pro filter, (more to come)
CB74E49D-8181-457C-9B39-927E1141FACD.jpeg

Last edited:
This is my all time fav shape of a pool! SO much fun to play in the shallow end and the deep end!! Make sure to look up the watermelon ball game! You will LOVE it!!!

Saltwater system(leaning towards Hayward AQR940
How many gallons will your pool be and how many gallons is this SWCG rated for? We suggest getting one rated for 2x the gallons of your pool

pool lights?(struggling to pick some out)
@ajw22 this one is for you please sir.

robotic cleaner(leaning towards Dolphin m600)
Call this company (PHONE call so they can chat with you to make sure they set you up with the best cleaner for your pool and it maintains the warranty!) Home - Marina Pool Spa & Patio

Kim:kim:

This is my all time fav shape of a pool! SO much fun to play in the shallow end and the deep end!! Make sure to look up the watermelon ball game! You will LOVE it!!!

*We only went with 3’6 straight out from stairs then down to 5’4 at the turn. Hopefully we don’t regret that but we’ve been in similar depth pools and liked it a lot

How many gallons will your pool be and how many gallons is this SWCG rated for? We suggest getting one rated for 2x the gallons of your pool

*Pool is 22k gal, swg is rated at 40 I believe

Call this company (PHONE call so they can chat with you to make sure they set you up with the best cleaner for your pool and it maintains the warranty!)Home - Marina Pool Spa & Patio

*Great, will call soon

Reactions: kimkats
Don't know much about Hayward, but I can tell you I had my Pentair equipment (Intelliflo pump, DE 80 Filter, Contr and l Center , and 40k Gal SW generator) for 10 years and zero problems! My pool was 15,000 gallong and I oversized everything as you can see especially the SWG. I sold the house August 2019 and the SWG cell was still going strong and never replaced best investment ever. Whatever you do oversize, less often you will clean filters and longer lasting SWG. Good luck!

Started the excavation last Saturday. Got the walls up the next day.
Over the next few days we got the main drain in, Shoveled about 6 tractor bucket loads of dirt out, concrete collar done, and spread out a bunch of stone around the pool so we’re not working in mud.
I went ahead and hired the pool krete out and that turned out to be a good decision. Took 3 guys with a little help from me 6 hours.
Currently we’re working on running the rest of the plumbing and electric. Gonna try to get the liner in tomorrow or Wednesday

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: kimkats
Thx, I got the the test kit ordered. Should’ve already had the done.
We got the lights and plumbing ran to the equipment pad. Installed liner and had water delivered today. Kids had fun playing in the cold water.
Gonna try to get the everything hooked up tomorrow. Should I be added any chemicals while I’m waiting to get the test kit. I’m guessing it would t be here til early next week

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That looks great! Good job and you moved much faster than my husband and I. It took us two months from breaking ground to dropping a hose in to fill the pool. Yes, I would add liquid chlorine and stir it with a brush to keep the water clear until your test kit arrives. If you got a robot cleaner that can do some of the work keeping the pool stirred and clean. We didn't have a robot initially and I just used a net and brush until the equipment came online. Use the pool math app to calculate your chlorine. What type of decking are you going with?

Reactions: newdude
Thank you.. robot should be here any day. I’ll pick up some chlorine.
We’re still deciding on the deck. It’s between Ozark pavers or just concrete. Still need to do some research on what’s the most durable with a salt pool and the least maintenance

We did pavers and are happy with our decision. It did take longer and we waited until the following spring to do them. They get hot but I don't like blinding lighter colors so it was a bit of a trade off. We also didn't think we could tackle that much concrete on our own. When we priced out the pavers they were cheaper than we expected and added bonus is we can get under them more easily to fix any mistakes we made! We still poured concrete at our diving board and skimmers.

Oh nice. Did you do darker pavers then?
And that makes a lot of sense to pour concrete around the skimmers. I was wondering how that would work with pavers. What about for anchors for a winter cover. Do the pavers hold those in fine?
We would be hiring out whatever we choose. We have a friend that does hardscaping

We did pavers in our backyard and I regret the particular pavers we chose. Do some research on gray base vs. white base concrete pavers. We went with Tremron Sierra pavers, which are apparently gray base, and, while they look beautiful, in full sun they get almost too hot to walk on and definitely too hot to stand on. Live and learn. I recommend getting a sample of the paver you want and leaving it in full sun to see if they are the kind that get too hot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.