New Pool Build in South Florida. Need Advice on plans

mzd132

Jan 13, 2024
Hollywood, Florida
Good Morning,
I’ve been a long time lurker as I’ve been planning on building a pool for a long time. We finally got our pool plans and they just look wrong. I was hoping for anyone’s input on the design and plans. Thank you.

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    133.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 1. .png
    1. .png
    156.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2967.jpeg
    IMG_2967.jpeg
    519 KB · Views: 28
Hi and welcome to TFP!

Is that a bench I see running around 3 side of the pool? If so that needs to go. It eats up a lot of the pool play area. It could also be a safety hazard especially on the house side due to people running to jump into the pool. They may end up hitting the bench if they don't jump out far enough.

What are your water depths?

Hi and welcome to TFP!

Is that a bench I see running around 3 side of the pool? If so that needs to go. It eats up a lot of the pool play area. It could also be a safety hazard especially on the house side due to people running to jump into the pool. They may end up hitting the bench if they don't jump out far enough.

What are your water depths?
Hi yes it is. I was thinking of definitely removing the one on the right side of the pool. We have small kids and the pool builder says it’s great for kids but we do have a sundeck. I’m thinking of just removing it all but is it nice to sit in the pool on the bench? I’ve never seen that before.

The depth is 3-5 feet. Thanks for the input

I would remove the bench on the house side and the right side. That is a lot pool pool space used up when you already have the shelf for sitting and such.

3' is too shallow. An adult cannot do a full crawl stroke in that depth of water. They will scrape their knuckles on the floor of the pool. Go at least 3.5. My fav starting depth is 4'.

5' is an "odd" depth in that it is not very useful. I am 5'5" so 5' of water hits me right under my mouth. As such I cannot really stand and enjoy water at that depth. 5' is also too shallow for any kind of jumping in be it cannon balling in or just jumping in. You risk hitting your bottom cannonballing into that depth. I would go to at least 6'.

I know you have small kids BUT they grow like weeds. You should build your pool for when they are bigger.

Reactions: .ben
Just a few thoughts.
Due to the size of the reef step I would recommend a dedicated return line and not rely on the bubbler to properly provide water direction to help move debris from the area.

Reef step will not be properly eluminated with the current lighting locations. With a water depth of 7” (+1”) on the reef step, it would be possible to install lights on the step.

With small kids making entry on and off the reef step, consider a mini step at an angle in a corner to help out. See pic.IMG_5084.png

Have the skimmer moved a few feet farther from the corner.

Last edited:
The depth is 3-5 feet.
I would recommend 4' for the shallow end.

5' works for a "deeper" end since it's shallow enough for many people to stand. I would stay at 4-5' or commit to a true deep end.

Do you have a detailed equipment list?

Just a few thoughts.
Due to the size of the reef step I would recommend a dedicated return line and not rely on the bubbler to properly provide water direction to help move debris from the area.

Reef step will not be properly eluminated with the current lighting locations. With a water depth of 7” (+1”) on the reef step, it would be possible to install lights on the step.

With small kids making entry on and off the reef step, consider a mini step at an angle in a corner to help out. See pic.View attachment 549584

Have the skimmer moved a few feet farther from the corner.
That’s a great point about circulation on the reef deck. I’ll ask the PB. I also like added touch of the step in that area. Thanks for the input

I would recommend 4' for the shallow end.

5' works for a "deeper" end since it's shallow enough for many people to stand. I would stay at 4-5' or commit to a true deep end.

Do you have a detailed equipment list?
Hi I think we are going to go a little deeper from 3.5 to 5.5 now. Not sure what the right answer is. We are going to remove all the benches from the pool as it will cut into the already smaller pool.
Here is the equipment list:
Jandy 2.7hp VS Pump
▪ (1) Jandy CS 200 cartridge filter
▪ (1) Jandy Aqua Pure 1400 Salt Chlorinator
▪ (3) 9-Color LED Light
▪ (2) LED Bubblers
▪ Electric Heat/Chiller
▪ RSP4 IAqualink Automation
▪ Standard electrical connection

Let me know what you think about the equipment.

I think we are going to go a little deeper from 3.5 to 5.5 now
It's ultimately your pool and your decision, but 4' works better for a shallow end. It's impossible to change after the pool is built. You might be able to find neighbors that have these depths in their pools.

5.5' is awkward since it's too deep for people to stand but too shallow for diving, etc. That part of the pool won't be used. I'd suggest 5' or go with a true deep end.

Jandy CS 200 cartridge filter
Get the biggest cartridge filter you can find/afford. For some reason, FL builders love tiny cartridge filters.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.