New pool build in Louisiana - design and build

Everything I've heard about palms is that they're ideal for pools. Root ball instead of long reaching roots and no leaf drop.

I think hibiscus would look good there also ... if it can handle BR winters. I live in Slidell and usually have to cut back hibiscus to the ground every 2-3 years. Lots of big dark green tropicals would look good by that brick IMO. Alocasia in the sun and cast iron (if you have any shade) might be good options.

Landscape ideas. We are going to be sodding in the next few weeks. So my options are sodding up to the back pool wall or putting in 2 queen palms and some Hibiscus plants to make a tropical backdrop. Are their any pitfalls of planting palms a within a few feet of the pool?

I have had no issues with my queen palms close to our pool. There are a billion little roots but nothing big and I know this because I had to cut out two dead ones. I think your climate is a lot like ours and queen palms will have major freeze damage after the temp drops below 25 and die as it gets closer to 20.

I have had no issues with my queen palms close to our pool. There are a billion little roots but nothing big and I know this because I had to cut out two dead ones. I think your climate is a lot like ours and queen palms will have major freeze damage after the temp drops below 25 and die as it gets closer to 20.

After checking on what I have in my existing front landscaping I found I did have queen palm but it was killed in a freeze. We replaced it with a mule palm. That palm is massive. Here is a picture of a the palm in the front of the house with Nile lilies and Queen Emma lilies in the background. It was about 5 years old in the picture. I like the look of the fronds but I don't know if it would look to big behind the pool in a few years. I like the look of the queen palms but I know the mule palm will survive.
ed040e7ee3c61a1cfa07651798716ddb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After checking on what I have in my existing front landscaping I found I did have queen palm but it was killed in a freeze. We replaced it with a mule palm. That palm is massive. Here is a picture of a the palm in the front of the house with Nile lilies and Queen Emma lilies in the background. It was about 5 years old in the picture. I like the look of the fronds but I don't know if it would look to big behind the pool in a few years. I like the look of the queen palms but I know the mule palm will survive.
ed040e7ee3c61a1cfa07651798716ddb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I too like the look of the Queen Palms but the fact they do die in a really hard freeze makes me always worry this time of year. When we moved in there were two that were already dead from the freeze the year prior. I have a Canary Island Date palm too in my back yard and it is not as graceful IMHO as the Queen, but still has the nice fronds. It is way more cold tolerant, but it has a much bigger base until the old fronds leafs die off and it is a way much slower grower. I think it is like < 1 foot of trunk growth per year. You have a awesome looking backyard I am sure whatever you do will look great.

Hello all

2 quick questions.

On on the pool plaster we went with diamond brite blue. But the pool still has a green tint to it. When should I start seeing the blue color?

Also getting red paver stone landscape boarder. Does anyone have experience with red rubber mulch? Was thinking of using that over red lava rock.

Thanks.

Did you get a test kit? If so what were your test results.

I am too lazy to look back to see if you gave you the link for new plaster care.

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

If you do not have a good test kit look in my siggy to find the one we use and love.

Just know your PB holds the warranty card so what he says go for now.

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Can we see apic of your pool?

Kim

Did you get a test kit? If so what were your test results.

I am too lazy to look back to see if you gave you the link for new plaster care.

Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

If you do not have a good test kit look in my siggy to find the one we use and love.

Just know your PB holds the warranty card so what he says go for now.

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Can we see apic of your pool?

Kim

The basic care instructions I was given from the PB were brush the plaster daily for the first 2 weeks. Keep the the chlorine at 3-4ppm ph at 7.2. Been doing that. It has been taking a 3/4 to a cup of acid a day to maintain the ph.

I bought the k 2006 test kit. But I am still using the basic one he left with me since I still need to follow their instructions the next 2 weeks.

Right now now TA is 70, ph was 7.2 today (yeah! No acid needed). Chlorine 4ppm

current pool closeup
0e93cad7f12bdb134f6b82f75889c6f7.jpg
[/IMG]

Your numbers look good.

I am glad you have a good test kit.

I bet your water will "blue up" over time. We have seen many pools start out with a slight green look when it is first filled. Give it time and keep a close eye on your water.

Kim

Hello All

Possible problems with salt cell Pentax IC-40.

Added salt over a week ago as per PB's instructions then plugged in the cell after 24 hours. Salt is 3600ppm and is the unit is generating chlorine.

The unit stays on all the time even when the pump is shut off.
It does give a flow error when the pump is not running.

But if I am reading the instructions correctly the unit should only come on when the pump is on correct?
PB is stating the unit should be always on.

Everything is controlled and programmed thru the Pentair Easy Touch panel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.