New Pool Build in Central Texas

Tejasheat

Silver Supporter
Jul 15, 2017
Georgetown/tx
Hello everyone!

I am a complete novice, but have been reading a lot in this forum. We just started digging today and should be finished tomorrow. We are all very excited, even though swimming season will be over by the time the pool is complete. I chose to go with a saltwater pool, but everyone I have talked to tried to tell me it is no good and I should stay away from it and it will corrode everything. I guess I am a little bit of a rebel and told them that I would deal with it. I hope that I have made a good decision. I am looking into what type of test kit will be best and I am thinking the Taylor K-2006? My pool builder will put in an in-line chlorinator for the start up as well as for winter he said. Just wondering if that is pretty typical. Pool is 18-37 IG with travertine coping, pebble sheen and KoolCote decking. Also we are using well water to fill the pool. No issues, supposedly with running the well dry, but pool builder stated that they need me to have it tested. My initial test results stated .3 for Copper and Iron. Any thoughts?

Good to be here and thank you for the support.

image1.jpg

Progress since we started. Everything is going well, except....the SWG was installed before the in line chlorinator. Per the SWG instruction the in line chlorinator needs to be installed after the SWG. Will need to bring this up to my PB. Anyone who can confirm that this is a problem?
IMG_1817.jpgIMG_1826.jpgIMG_1832.jpgIMG_1853.jpgIMG_1880.jpgIMG_1886.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1871.jpg
    IMG_1871.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 316
If you are going to use pucks in that you need it after your SWCG. That keeps the acidic brew from the pucks from destroying your SWCG.

Only in Texas do they install both -- odd.

Take care.

Yes have the PB completely remove the inline chlorinator. There is no need for one. After you stabalize your CYA using it will add to much CYA and being Texas the SWG should work almost year round depending on water temp.

BTW it's looking great. Can't wait to see the tile and coping choices.

My puck chlorinator (which I no longer use) is after my SWG. Don't let anyone discourage you on the SWG. I am in Central Tx, and couldn't be happier with mine. After following the guidance on this page, my water has been Chrystal clear for months. In fact my pool is designed very similar to yours. 4' on the ends and 5' in the middle. Good luck and keep showing the progress!

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, stock up a few gallons of normal unscented bleach for chlorinating during winter. The SWG will auto shut down below a certain water temp.

I'm not planning on using the in-line chlorinator after it is set up. I was told that it will be used to start up the pool because they cannot put salt in it for at least 30 days. The pool builder informed me that they will address the plumbing issue. There has been no progress on the pool. We are waiting for the coping and the stone for the mason. Decking is scheduled for next week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Decking will be complete tonight. I changed my mind about the water color. Originally I just went with White Diamonds. However, along the way I questioned my choice and finally decided to go with Blue Granite. I think it will look better in the natural setting this pool is in along with the earth tones. It was a very agonizing decision. I have never seen the color in real life and I am hoping that I do love the color when all is complete. I was very curious about black onyx as well, but I did not feel brave enough to go quite that dark in the end. Maybe next time! ;) So with that being said, I need to start stocking up on chemicals. Anybody has a good source for buying in bulk? What else will I need to get started? I already have the test kit, but that is it.

Hey Tejas
Which test kit did you purchase. Might add it to your signature so people know. You will need to post your fill water results to get a full recommended listing of chemicals expected. Also is the PB doing the initial startup and how long will they be involved?

Bulk chemicals
Store brand liquid bleach (unscented) from Wally World is usually very fresh. Always check the manufactured on date code and store it inside or at least out of sun. I believe date code is in the form ddd yy. Where ddd (1 - 365) = day; yy = year. Today would be 285 17.
MA (31.45%) from Home Depot or Lowes or other home improvement store.
Baking Soda might be needed to up your TA, but your fill water results are needed to verify. Wally world carries bulk size (10 -15 lbs) baking soda. If you drive up to Dallas area I still have 30# from my bicarb startup you can have. :cheers:
I assume your PB is supplying salt.

I have the Taylor K-2006 test kit. I went and had my well water tested twice at a local pool supply store at the request of my PB.

Here are the numbers:
FC 0
CC 0
PH 7.7
TA 170
CH 130
CYA 0
Copper 0.3
Iron 0.3

Accordingly I would have to lower by TA to 60-120 ppm with acid? CH needs to be raised to 350-450 for SWG and CYA needs to be 70-80 for SWG? Am I tracking on this??

My PB is encouraging me constantly to hire someone to service the pool. They say it is salt and more difficult to balance/maintain. How true is this?

My PB is encouraging me constantly to hire someone to service the pool. They say it is salt and more difficult to balance/maintain. How true is this?

Not very. You do need to test your water chemistry and focus on maintaining sufficient FC based on your CYA and manage your pH and CSI. But more difficult? Hardly.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.