New Pool Build in Apache Junction AZ

Don_TLR

Silver Supporter
Feb 19, 2018
Apache Junction AZ
I moved in last summer and wanted to get something started this spring but I'm behind on my timing. I wanted to go OB along with some help since I don't have a ton of time to research and I wanted some help on inspections and general knowledge. I was trying to get someone to come out to take a look at my yard as its not a standard build and will also need water diversion but kept finding no shows. Recently I saw a reference here for someone who helps OB and we met this weekend to go over what I'm looking for and we're going to move forward.

I plan to keep the landscaping very desert like and move some saguaro's in as well as a big cactus skeleton I purchased for the build.. I look forward to getting this started and enjoying having a pool again.
If anyone has good reference for landscape services that would be helpful.

ISugc9uivcnfeo0000000000.jpgISewxv04je10rm0000000000.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Well it has been a lot of work up until this stage sorting out a design for the yard and just about to start. A guy who works similar to BYOP has suggested in floor cleaning for my spa and steps/benches. I will have a table in the corner with additional benches to sit at. I don't know about the spa and will not have any trees to drop debris anywhere near my pool.

I'll have to upgrade my to a subscription to add more photos and plans.

most say to skip the infloor cleaning system. especially in AZ since all it does is push the sand, dirt, storm dust around and not out. not worth the cost. also, amazing views!

Agree. I have helped several neighbors and friends over the years try to fix those things. They're a real PITB in my honest opinion. In one neighbors pool, he had so many issues with them, that we bypassed the entire system at the pad and used some "MacGyvering" to seal off the popups in the pool floor. Those things get old and start breaking and when you have to replace the mechanisms inside, you're looking at around $45.00 and up (depending on the type) to replace one. Plus you have to buy the right removal tool.

Get a good "inwall" suction cleaner (with side inlet) or many swear by the Robotic pool cleaners now. They're pretty cool. There are experts here that own them that can really guide you along in selection etc.

Yea, those Superstitions in your back yard look great!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Agree. I have helped several neighbors and friends over the years try to fix those things. They're a real PITB in my honest opinion. In one neighbors pool, he had so many issues with them, that we bypassed the entire system at the pad and used some "MacGyvering" to seal off the popups in the pool floor. Those things get old and start breaking and when you have to replace the mechanisms inside, you're looking at around $45.00 and up (depending on the type) to replace one. Plus you have to buy the right removal tool.

Get a good "inwall" suction cleaner (with side inlet) or many swear by the Robotic pool cleaners now. They're pretty cool. There are experts here that own them that can really guide you along in selection etc.

Yea, those Superstitions in your back yard look great!

Good info, I had a Hayward at my last place but it didn't have a spa and it was always clean, just brushed the seats off around the table with your hand.

- - - Updated - - -

I have in-floor and wouldn’t be without it. I see my pool four times a year and a pool service comes once per week for about ten minutes. The pool is always clean and clear.

You've got a great looking pool and lurked a bit watching your build but both the gf and I, mostly her like cleaning the pool and just being outside.
I'm just curious where the dirt goes in the spa?

Don, save your money on the infloor system. Like others have said, suction side port, and a robot will keep you covered. The side port can be used for a quick vac of the spots the robot misses, (and you’ll have them with that table, benches, and stairs) and when you go on vacation.
Main drain in the spa will take care of any debris that falls to the bottom. (Just make sure that the drain is plumbed as a “home run” back to the pad with its own valve). :cheers:

Don, save your money on the infloor system. Like others have said, suction side port, and a robot will keep you covered. The side port can be used for a quick vac of the spots the robot misses, (and you’ll have them with that table, benches, and stairs) and when you go on vacation.
Main drain in the spa will take care of any debris that falls to the bottom. (Just make sure that the drain is plumbed as a “home run” back to the pad with its own valve). :cheers:

Thanks Rob!!
Is plumming the drain back home a standard procedure if you don't have an in floor system?

Any critiques on this equipment list?

160332 520 SQF cartridge filter
520545 Easytouch Control W/SWG
522104 Screenlogic Wireless
3HP Intelliflow VSF
2HP Whisperflo pump
400BTU Mastertemp heater
Intellibrite 5G LED light for spa and pool
360275 Rebel Cleaner
Verturi Skimmer
Autofill

Drop the suction cleaner and get a robot. I tried a suction cleaner, it was truly worthless.

I assume you have the extra pump for a spa? The Intelliflo runs our spa (6 jets) just fine. But not sure of your design.

Thanks Rob!!
Is plumming the drain back home a standard procedure if you don't have an in floor system?

Don, the IFCS is on the return side of your plumbing system, where as the skimmers and main drains are on the suction side of your plumbing. Not all PB will do them independently of each other. (ie. they will plumb the main drains to the skimmer, then to the pump) By having a home run of the main drain (each)back to the equipment pad, you now have full control over which drain you want the pump to pull from.

Good info, I had a Hayward at my last place but it didn't have a spa and it was always clean, just brushed the seats off around the table with your hand.

- - - Updated - - -

You've got a great looking pool and lurked a bit watching your build but both the gf and I, mostly her like cleaning the pool and just being outside.
I'm just curious where the dirt goes in the spa?

The spa has pop ups on the benches and a floor drain. I suppose some of the stirred up dirt goes over the spillway and into the pool as well. I, for one, hate having a hose and head unit always in the pool or lying on the deck. Not to mention the “drowning bobcat” noise my neighbor’s cleaner makes when it surfaces and sucks air. :)

Drop the suction cleaner and get a robot. I tried a suction cleaner, it was truly worthless.

I assume you have the extra pump for a spa? The Intelliflo runs our spa (6 jets) just fine. But not sure of your design.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll ask why 2 pumps..

- - - Updated - - -

He's still pushing me about the in floor cleaning, saying I'll get stains without..
I had a table with a 1/2 circle bench at my last house and never got stains but he worries me in the spa since I didn't have one.

Not sure how stains correlate with the absence of an in-floor cleaning system.

The spa will have to be vacuumed or otherwise cleaned as the robot doe not work too well in them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.