New Pool Build - Conroe, TX - LOTS of pics! Come say hi Y'all.

ohhhhhhhhhh jasmine!!!!!

What about honey suckle??????

Suz that is the BEST way to be -----------share what you know and tell what you don't!

So will these two grow and thrive in your area?

Kim

Both honeysuckle and jasmine do beautifully around here. My only issues with them in my small yard is that they want to take over. But if you have lots of space and containment isn't an issue, they are heavenly. I did have one jasmine by my back door that understood it's boundaries. It stayed relatively small, and had the usual jasmine scent and dainty blooms. I'll look it up.

I guess I misunderstood Wendy. I thought she just wanted suggestions about the gardenias.

So, Wendy, if you want other suggestions, let me know what types of plants you like and where you want them, and what you would like them to do. I'll come up with some suggestions. There are a lot of suggestions on Jannylee's thread.

Yep. Wendy and Suz- are y'all considered coastal? Are you zone 9?

Generally, we are considered between zones 8 and 9. This gives you more specifics on the growing zones: Texas Hardiness Zones

You can see that Harris County is almost divided in half between 8 and 9. And if you live in this area, then you've often heard the local weather forecasters in the winter talk about the freeze lines running along I-10 or 2920. In Cypress, we're in the middle of those 2 lines, so we almost have our own little zone (Suz's Zone. Ha ha). I think the zones are shifting south. I've lived in Cypress for about 40 years, and we used to lose many palm trees and plants to freezes, but they are thriving now. I know folks in Conroe and Montgomery often have more freezes than we do in Cypress. But the issue is usually length of freeze, and I'm not sure about that in the areas north of Tomball. Our freezes in Cypress don't generally last more than a matter of hours (I hear the people in the North laughing their heads off!!!!)

Marla, I love your idea of citrus trees.

Wendy, you might enjoy a lemon tree. I have a friend in Willis on Lake Conroe with a lemon tree - it's done beautifully. That's what we have and moved to the back of our yard (it looks like it might make the transplant). They are wonderful but also can get white fly. But if you're watching or treating that for your gardenia, it wouldn't be a problem to do the same for the lemon tree. The fragrance is to die for, and the lemons are truly fabulous!!! It's not a very messy tree and can grow quite tall giving some shade if you need any. And we bought our lemon tree at Kroger's in the spring for 10 bucks. Can't beat that!

But take care of that neck, first!!!
Take care,
Suz.

That's sexy talk Suz! All that plant/weather pillow talk is fun. I'm more familiar with flora two or three zones north.

Gardenias shouldn't make a mess at all - or very little. They used to be my favorite, and I still love them. You may already know, but keep the white flies at bay.

The one you have looks very happy and healthy! And a beautiful bloom!

Hmm mm. I can almost smell it!
Suz.

White flies??

Wendy, you could add some citrus trees. Or maybe some night blooming jasmine if you need a climber.

I have a Texas republic orange tree that we got when we moved in. I had to move it when we built the pool - it's in a container right now & not doing well. I plan on planting it somewhere in the back as well as a lemon tree! The tall skinny tree (bush) right by the spa is an avocado tree. It's shot up & is doing amazing!! I love citrus trees.

Mmm jasmine!

I'm planning on getting a few dwarf palms (I don't want the tall ones). But I'm open to suggestions for other beauties! I also love giant elephant ears.

More help from the Peanut Gallery

So - I still haven't had my PB turn my heater on (he has to bleed the propane lines first) - since it has been blazing hot and all. However, with my neck - I was thinking the hot jets in the spa would be awesome. So I sent them a message - they responded and said they would come out and do it - but wanted to warn me that heating the spa in this heat will raise the pool temp too - I never thought about that. My pool temp is already pretty warm - about 88 in the evenings - cooler in the mornings.

Any ideas on how much it would heat it? I am already running water features at night to get the temps down to about 86 in the am.

yes and no. While spa is on its spa only. But to keep the water circulating when the pool is on, it runs some water through the jets & then spills over back into the pool. There's probably a way to change that setting, but then also we wouldn't be able to use the waterfall. It goes into spa, then into pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have neck pain too and would love a spa!! But we didn't get one. Maybe that will be our next project to add one behind the pool. :)
Our water temperature is 90 every evening.
Maybe you could add ice to the pool. (I have no idea) [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To cool your pool you need aeration that will pull from the deepest part of your pool and for it to be ran at night.

This homemade contraption keeps my pool about 86 degrees, I run my pump from 8PM to 8AM.

10640-albums2451-picture80356.jpg

You can also have your PB install 1 of 2 chillers.

Electric it will cost a good deal to run or a mechanical with a return pump which will be less expensive.

http://www.inyopools.com/pool_chiller.aspx

Or wait until October it will start cooling off then.

I did a search one day on adding ice and you will need several tons and it will only last a day!

John

We used to shop there all the time for plants and Christmas trees until we had a "disagreement" with the actual owner (yes the one on TV) about the price of a Christmas tree we were buying. From then on, we've gone elsewhere, mainly Buchanans nursery in the Heights.

To cool your pool you need aeration that will pull from the deepest part of your pool and for it to be ran at night.

This homemade contraption keeps my pool about 86 degrees, I run my pump from 8PM to 8AM.

10640-albums2451-picture80356.jpg

You can also have your PB install 1 of 2 chillers.

Electric it will cost a good deal to run or a mechanical with a return pump which will be less expensive.

http://www.inyopools.com/pool_chiller.aspx

Or wait until October it will start cooling off then.

I did a search one day on adding ice and you will need several tons and it will only last a day!

John

We run our waterfalls and water features at night to cool it off, which works great. But that's before adding heat to the spa.

- - - Updated - - -

Look for the large version of a Bird of Paradise, it has a large white bloom, you can buy them at Houston Patio and Garden.

Wait until late Sept or even early spring so they do not go through heat shock and die.

http://www.south-florida-plant-guide.com/white-bird-of-paradise.html

John

I need a few of these!!! Trying to hold out for Houston garden center 75% off sale. They just began their 70% off sale, so it should be happening soon!

Look for the large version of a Bird of Paradise, it has a large white bloom, you can buy them at Houston Patio and Garden.

Wait until late Sept or even early spring so they do not go through heat shock and die.

http://www.south-florida-plant-guide.com/white-bird-of-paradise.html

John

Don't plant the Bird of Paradise up wind from your pool or you will curse those lovely blooms (if it is the same variety I have). 90% of everything I clean out of the pool on a daily basis is from that tree (which I will be moving to the prevailing downwind side this winter :)

Don't plant the Bird of Paradise up wind from your pool or you will curse those lovely blooms (if it is the same variety I have). 90% of everything I clean out of the pool on a daily basis is from that tree (which I will be moving to the prevailing downwind side this winter :)

I have 1 large blooming one and 1 smaller that has not set a bloom yet and there nothing that comes off the blooms, are you sure you have the same plant?

John

- - - Updated - - -

Actually just googled and they are toxic to dogs :(. My dogs will eat anything. It really hinders my landscaping.

One of my dogs and my daughters dog have chewed on the green and also the dead leaves and have never shown any sign of sickness.

Oleanders are bad, never heard birds of paradise though.

John

I just googled the name to see if it was toxic. We had to get rid of a ton of oleanders & sago palms when we moved in. If anyone would test the toxicity it would be mine. Thursday night one of them got ahold of a toad. Looked like she had rabies with all the foaming and head shaking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.