New Pool Build because of Big Green Egg - FINAL INSPECTION

Re: New Pool Build in Central Texas because of Big Green Egg

LOL, Skylar, the description of your no-name city sounds just like Wylie, until I saw the white rock, which is more like Richardson. The men that installed our fence in Richardson in 1994 hated us by the time they finished! None of us knew what lay beneath the dirt until they started breaking drill bits! And then, when we had the 20K gallon pool busted up and removed (if only I'd known about researching pool care on the internet back then - though that wasn't the only reason for having it removed!) because it kept going nasty, nasty green on us, the poor man who agreed to do the job hated us - took him a LONG time to get that job done.

Did someone shoot your dog's tail (tip) with a white paint ball?

Nice pool build, can't wait to see the finished product!

Deck was poured today, the crew did a fantastic job!

Second Big Green Egg came today as well. All in all a very good day!

Attachments

• IMG_1898.JPG
    IMG_1898.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_1897.JPG
    IMG_1897.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_1893.JPG
    IMG_1893.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 647

Cherie said:
WOW, VERY nice! I love the tree in the hole too. No chance of the tree roots eventually messing with the deck or pool, is there?

The pool no, the roots for that type tree don't extend out that far and even if they did, the root stucture wouldn't have a chance with all the rock around our pool along with the gunite.

For the deck the answer would be very unlikely, the type roots for that tree are very thin, wispy and don't radiate that far. With how much substrate is there along with the concrete, we should be fine. However we made the decision that the risk is worth it to not cut down a beautiful tree that provides perfect shade cover for our entire upper patio area. Worse case it causes a problem in the deck and we fix it. Odds are very low that will happen.

Additionally, how old that tree is and how big the diameter of the trunk is, there was a good chance we wouldn't have been allowed to cut it down anyway.

Funny how you are getting so many inquiries about the TREE! I'm guilty as well. It appears to be a Live Oak~my favorite, I love em. I read somewhere in your thread that you had planned to rig some type of special irrigation for it. Have you already done this? The younger age of that tree will help it (my guess is 10~15YO). But, my concern is the decking will restrict gas exchange (depleting the root of oxygen). I know it's a little late now for anything major (like drilled tubing or a combination of drilled (breathable) pavers in the deck)..I'm just curious. Have you done anything special for that? Its a beautiful tree and looks great in your patio, hopefully you'll enjoy it for many years :goodjob:

That tree is a Live Oak (good observation!) and it has quite a history. It is probably 20 - 30 years old. This house was built 11 years ago and it was big then. The home builder told us that he was pretty sure the tree would not survive. They had hit it and gouged it so many times during the home build that he was pretty sure they had killed it. In fact, he said it was in such bad shape that though it was illegal to tear down Live Oaks that big, they could get an exemption to have it torn down and he recommeded that they do it so it wouldn't fall on the house..

My wife and I just moved from Virginia where the back of our house butted to a forest with 70-100 foot trees and it seemed criminal to tear down our only tree at our new home that didn't look like a twig. The tree ended up flourishing, even though we already had about half of the root structure covered with a concrete patio anyway and we have been in a massive drought here in Central Texas.

The hole around the tree is bigger than it looks. The closest point the radius of the concrete circle to the tree is 3 feet. In additon we will have several irrigation lines that are coming in from each side under the deck to where the roots are in additon to the circle. Also we will have tubing that is also coming from the sides and the circle getting down to the roots for air/gas exchanges. Finally we have a drain that has been placed in the circle that prevents water from filling up the circle during a heavy rain preventing the drowning of the tree.

Are we nuts?, Maybe. This could very easily be one of those things several years from now where we go, what were we thinking. However, if the tree dies, we fill in the hole and get our covered patio. If it cracks the deck, we repair the deck.

Maybe we are weird, being this loyal to a tree!

Wow, I was way off on the age. Must be the rocky ground and stress over the years. But, it's certainly a survivor and sounds like you gave it a good chance~ prepared for it very well. Not crazy or weird at all in my book; I'm nursing a 10 Year Old Live Oak as well (very near our new pool~PB recommended we take it down). It's hard to beat the shade and natural beauty of the Live Oak. Wrap the branches with Christmas lights and leave them up year-round (it's ok in Texas) :goodjob:

Anyway, I'm glad your build is moving along. Can't wait to see the kitchen progress.

I had a similar tree/patio when I lived in IL. They had put expansion joints in the patio radiating out from the tree. Over the years there was a very slight shift in the patio sections, but none ever broke. All in all, it worked very well. We even added a circular wooden bench around the tree.

Been a very stressful week. The masons that finished our fire pit were supposed to start the outdoor kitchen, bench around the fire pit, our retaining wall, and cement our jumping rocks as well as fix the gunite that had to be chipped away for the inspection, etc. They didn't show last Thursday and Friday.

Last Saturday, a work truck drove up. Once again, a bunch of guys got out and ended up taking more of our stone to another job. I called and complained, and was told, don't worry we have plenty of stone and if we don't it is a easy shade to match and it is no problem getting more. Once again I thought, "If it was so easy to match, why did we have to spend so much time picking out our pallets of stone in February"?

PB got another mason crew to come out Tuesday and they have been doing a great job. Our outdoor grill is almost completed. But I am sure you all know where this is going, yesterday they ran out of stone, short of finishing the kitchen and not even being able to start the bench. PB orders more stone from the stoneyard. It arrived last night. Shade is not even close to what our old stone is. It was so different, even the masons said they weren't going to use that stone it would look so bad. Stoneyard says that is the closest they can come up with. Wife calls PB and he says, this isn't my fault which is about the last thing she wants to hear then. I am with the head of the mason company and his guys at the back of my yard and hear my wife lose it as she unloads on the PB.

We are going to need a vacation when this is over......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

They started our kitchen last week and it is coming out great. It is almost complete but have to keep a section open for the electricians and for the gas inspection. They also started the bench around the fire pit yesterday and completed it today. Loved the way that came out!

Struggling with the electricians. When they ran the conduit for the electrical I assumed the wire was run as well. Not the case. I asked the electrician why they didn't do that. He said all of us people come up with new fangled ways to do things, but they always go back to the tried and true method which is doing it after the fact. Once again I shrugged my shoulders because they are the experts. Of course they can't get two of the lines through the conduits and one of them is the main electrical line into the kitchen that all the outlets go off of. I don't know what they are going to do.......

Attachments

• IMG_1902.JPG
    IMG_1902.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_1903.JPG
    IMG_1903.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_1904.JPG
    IMG_1904.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 467

Dunno about the conduit (I've done it both ways...always harder than I think it will be to string wire through as I'm laying it), but...

that bench and spa are awesome! :crazy:

I think you're Jinxed :shock: ..can you imagine how their net profits would increase if they had the ability to plan ahead? However, the end-result looks great and they definitely have artistic skills!

They got the electrical run late Tuesday night and came back yesterday to finish it all up. One run took 5 hours to do....One of the guys told me that he just dropped out of high school and had started working for the electrician last week. He was struggling even doing the simple outlets. I am sure I will have to re-do some of them.

The experienced one called me over and said he didn't know where 2 of the electronic devices went and did I.......When I said not really this is my first pool he said he would connect the parts he didn't know how to do with a zip-tie to one of the pipes and someone else could figure it out.....I have never had a migraine before but I think I got my first one then.

With our bench around the fire pit done, we were excited to have something finally completed. All we needed was the gas fire ring that would go in pit. It wasn't delivered with our equipment so the wife called the PB to ask was it ordered. He said yes it was, it was ordered a long time ago and it was at their distributer......My wife told me that and I said, "That is weird, why wouldn't have been delivered already and is not at the PB's warehouse, that seems fishy." Sure enough the PB called a bit later, said the distributer did not have one, and it would have to be ordered and would be here in 7-10 days. My wife asked, "I thought you had ordered it a long time ago, that is what you told me?..........." Complete silence on the other end of the phone.

Sundek is supposed to start today. It is a three day process. They are supposed to powerwash and coat the deck today, put on the texture tomorrow, and make it the color we have picked out on Saturday.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your exploits while documenting (and living through) your build. That is going to be a spectacular backyard!!! We are about to start a very simple build, and I am hopeful (naive?) that it will go well. This is our first in-ground pool, and we are very anxious.

I have certainly learned two things: don't expect the build to go as scheduled, and...have a sense of humor!!!

Thanks for taking the time to document your experience!

redintex

Sundek installation was completed in two days and looks great! We have to stay off it until Sunday.

Had the final gas inspection yesterday. We have failed every original inspection but on this one I was confident we would pass. I must be the most naïve person in Texas! I was confident because after all the gas lines were installed the plumber put all the lines to 3x normal pressure and the pressure held overnight to all of the new runs. I also verified that the plumber had all the required shut off valves, proper tape around the joints, and nothing that looked screwy to my admittedly untrained eye but was hoping my common sense would catch anything stupid.

The inspection was supposed to be Wednesday morning but Tuesday night the plumber called and said the inspection was cancelled. I was then told my city has the right to demand a whole house gas inspection during any of the permitting/inspection process. My plumber said "this is hardly ever done but guess what, they are doing it your house". I knew right then and there this would end badly even though we have never had any problems with any of our utilities or appliances. Wednesday morning the plumber came and checked all of the gas appliances in the house verifying there were no gas leaks, we had proper clearance for our vents, shut off valves from all gas lines and such. Inspection was scheduled for Thursday.

Thursday morning the plumber came, connected all of the new gas lines to the existing, and pressurized the lines to 3x normal with air after shutting off the gas. The gauge showed no leakage. Life is good. I waited around because I was fascinated how we could possibly fail this time.

Doorbell rang around noon and it was the inspector. He told me that he had already checked everything outside and it looked great, and had released some pressure from the gas lines and waited 5 minutes and we had no leakage. All he needed to do was check all of our appliances that used gas, and show him that we had working smoke detectors. We have 9 of them and three carbon monoxide detectors and he was happy about that. Checked our stove and gas fire place and laundry room and everything was good.

Went upstairs to one of my attics where one of my water heaters is. All of a sudden he exclaims I don't like that. I said what?, he said that yellow pipe that is used to run the gas into the water heater. My house was built in 2003 and I have all of the original appliances still. "It was determined in 2008 that if that type gas line was used, your gas lines have to also be grounded to your electrical system. I will have to fail you."

"What"!!!! I exclaimed". I calmly (sort of) explained that this was all original gas lines, electrical lines and furnaces and water heaters, this passed inspection when we built the house, and if the rules changed in 2008, if it was so dangerous why wasn't the public informed that this was such a dangerous situation and everyone would have to fix it.? He said it wasn't really dangerous, just that if our house got hit by lightning there was a greater possibility, though just slightly more possible that if the gas line ruptured it could help fuel a fire. I said that there are 400 homes in my neighborhood with a setup just like this, how come it is only an issue with me because of my pool?. He said once I add anything to my house, it opens up any system I add to and all of it has to up to date on the regulations and/or code.

He also told me that I would fail the final inspection because of another issue but I will leave that story for another day because I get really angry thinking about that problem.

After reading this thread in one sitting, I don't know whether to laugh or cry! I served as the general contractor on my 4500 sq ft house (with pool and an acre of landscaping) and didn't have half your calamities. I commiserate completely but really admire the way you handle the whole thing with such humor. It's gonna be gorgeous!!!

First off awesome yard and awesome Tree!

But man, your inspector sounds harsh. You must have ticked your inspector off like I must have mine.

Oh well, tell him he isn't invited to the first BBQ.

ColdAirGuy said:
But man, your inspector sounds harsh. You must have ticked your inspector off like I must have mine.

You know, at some point I wondered what we did to upset them.....but I have talked to both of them (one does the electrical, one does everything else) and they are actually nice guys. They truly follow the code to the letter and both truly believe that all the building codes and regulations were put there to keep us safe, keep our property values up, and prevent some unforseen disaster down the road. They also believe that they are the only protection between some of us with no building or construction experience and unscrupulous or incompetent construction companies. Though it seems that way, they aren't trying to get me, the home owner. They both take their job very seriously and think that every building code or requirement was put there for a reason. I can really respect and appreciate that.

My issue is with the codes and regulations themselves. Besides the fact that they are impossible to find all of them and decipher and they are changing constantly, at least in my city that they are becoming so restrictive it is quickly going to be cost prohibitive to get a permit leading to fly by night construction companies or contractors doing jobs without permits.

Good example, a person that I work with needed a new water heater last week for a 25 year old house. My city requires a permit for a water heater replacement. (If I don't add an autofill to my pool now and wait a while, if I do want to install one that would require a permit in my city) My co-worker got several quotes for his heater. One was through a company that required a permit being filed. That price was almost 2000 dollars because all his connections and piping and such would have to be updated to code. He got another price from a contractor that would "ignore" the permit. 900 dollars.

I think that is where the process is broke, there are just to many ever changing codes in my city and the fact that they can go in anytime you file a permit and make you get up to code again is frightening.......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.