New pool at the new house. Pics for advice please.

jond76 said:
He is not with a pool company and will not be around when we get the house. I'm sure he was compensated by the previous owner to maintain the pool while it was being sold. My plan was just to let him fight the algae. Whether the water is blue or not when I get in there I will still drain and replace water.

I am still a rookie here so bare with me. If you are closing on the 29th and this "pool guy" did not drain and refill, wont that come out of your pocket when YOU do the drain and refill? You know that the CYA is over 100, i.e., you need to drain the pool, so would it be possible for that pool guy to drain it now so the water bill does not put a little dent in your new buy?

While I agree that's not the most fantastic way of doing it, a drain/ refill probably should have been neogtiated in the contract. If the previous owners are still footing the bills, and all of a sudden their water bill is super high... Well I don't want any hiccups in this deal. So I'm fine with paying for the water.

Good thinking tho :)

He could add "shock" that contains a ton of CYA, making your need to drain that much worse, or he could add algaecide products that contain copper, which might turn blonde hair green or even stain the pool. And, if he creates a mess, it may be that he figures you will pay him to fix it afterwards.

jond76 said:
While I agree that's not the most fantastic way of doing it, a drain/ refill probably should have been neogtiated in the contract. If the previous owners are still footing the bills, and all of a sudden their water bill is super high... Well I don't want any hiccups in this deal. So I'm fine with paying for the water.

Good thinking tho :)

That's cool...so, then it might be best to have the pool guy not do anything except to drain and refill the pool, i.e., do not have him add any, any chemicals. Once you get your TF-100 kit you are on your way. Good luck on the closing as you are one of the few lucky ones in the housing market today! :)

Bill

Hey all. Some updates. More like observations.

The pool is blue again. I don't know how the kid treated it, but it blue. I think he may have sealed the suction side leak. I say "may" because ther is no air in the pumps sight glass and the returns are blasting hard now,but, there is a stream of fine bubbles that squirt out of the first return pretty frequently. I don't know what to make of that.

I haven't tested the water but will in the next day or so. I may be signing tomorrow.

I'm mainly just looking for an idea about the bubbles.

Ok, here is the update you (maybe have not) been waiting for! Test Numbers!

FC .5
CC 1.5
T/A 80
CH 380
CYA 50-60

The daily Cl/ pH test was Cl 1, pH 7.8

I have a question about the CYA test: What qualifies the black dot as being "gone"? I got up to 50-60 and could still just barely make out the black dot. All the other test have dramatic, no-question results but this one seems more gradual.

The pool is blue and the returns are still shooting bubbles. I think it might be the in-line chlorinator lid.

There is a rubber gasket/o ring inside the lid that might be piched. Unscrew it and look and see. Shut the pump off before doing that and if there is tabs in it dont be breathing any fumes or looking right over it when you unscrew it.

When do you take possession of the house ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good, now you can concentrate on getting the pool cleared up because you will be there a lot more!
Have you done an over night FC check yet on the water? ( probably a silly question on my part) If nnot I would suggest doing one and see what happens.
Are you sure your not getting your FC and CC backwards ? With a CC of 1.5ppm and your FC so low suggest to me algae.
If your going to be there over night tonight I would bring the pool to shock level, test your FC results 1/2 -1 hour later and then check it again in the morning to see what your FC is before the sun gets on the pool. If you have a FC loss of more than 1ppm then you need to continue to shock the pool. If your water is blue/clear as you say, it may only take a day or so to get rid of the CC's. Try brushing the pool as well to stir up the algae and let your pump run 24/7 for a few days to filter it out.

Bubbles are fixed. It was a broken Oring on the chlorinator lid.

I did the test from the tf 100 kit with the powder and got the above numbers. I tested again an FC was 1 and CC was .5. A complete flip. After I tested the first time last night I added 3 gal of 6% bleach. So maybe that flipped the numbers around.

I have 9 gallons waiting to be dumped in tomorrow. I am going to clean the filters first. I just know they caked with funk.

you're losing ground fast and if you wait until tomorrow to add, what you have already added will be a complete waste. get that bleach in there and keep it at shock level as much as possible, up to once an hour. even if you aren't shocking, you can't let the fc level get below 5 ever (assuming cya of 60).
also, as far as the cya test you were asking about, you can try these pictures. everyone has issues with that test.
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=44

I am assuming your not moved into the house yet jond? What are the possabilities IF your not ,to go by there and put some bleach in tonight? If you do it during daytime with the hot sun, the chlorine is consumed by the sun as well as the algae. Doing it at night lets it fight the algae more and you will get rid of it faster !

I'm convinced! I will dump all I got into the pool this evening then test in the morning. I'll post the numbers when I get them.

Thanks for that link! Super helpful. My reading is closer to 50 than 60 taking their example into consideration.

ok everyone. Just wanted to update this post for the last time and thank everyone for their help. I think I got a handle on things but will no doubt have more questions in the future... :party:

Attachments

• blupool.jpg
    blupool.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 65
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.