New Pool and new owner!

Nov 2, 2013
Texas
Well I decided it would be a good idea to build my own pool. (I don't recommend that) I am now waiting on the pebble to be installed and I'm ready to go. (With the exception of a few things, primarily the logic).

I thought I might ask for everyone's input, advice, opinion on what the best course is for starting from scratch.

I believe all the pertinent information is in my signature so if anyone has advice I'm certainly accepting! Thanks much!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Your first 2 steps are:
1. Order one of the Recommended Test Kits. Most of use get the TF-100 as it is a better value.

2. Read Pool School to learn about the chemistry.

Is there anything specific you have questions about?
What is your plan for adding chlorine?
Please add your location in your profile as well.

BTW, Pebbletec usually has a start-up procedure you are supposed to follow (or hire out) for warranty purposes.

Well dang it, forgot to post location, I'll correct that in the signature. It's the Abilene Texas area btw.
Yes I plan to order kit, and have local supply test water as well.
I do have a tab inline chlorinator installed.
The only thing I intend to use the Easytouch logic for is to switch from pool to spa, making it easy for my wife.

Any procedures for starting up new equipment that might be helpful that may be outside the usual information. i.e. backwash the filter immediately to clean sand and gravel, run infloor for ten minutes or more before installing valve mechanism and heads to clean those etc. In other words things to look for in starting a brand new pool. Not sure there is anything outside of what I have already researched but suspected it doesn't hurt to ask.

Also are there some very basics with regards to chemicals to add immediately on a brand new start up regardless?

Welcome to tfp, rand18m :wave:

rand18m said:
I do have a tab inline chlorinator installed.
Take a look at this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

rand18m said:
Also are there some very basics with regards to chemicals to add immediately on a brand new start up regardless?
With plaster you need to follow whatever startup method is being used by the plasterer. Here are some general comments: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up

So I guess it's safe to say that I should be using liquid chlorine and completely forget the auto chlorinator? That is likely not a big deal to do.

The plaster company installing the PebbleTec is a friend and they will certainly be part of the start up. I read in that link not to run the infloor system for 3 weeks, something else I hadn't heard before so that's certainly helpful.

Thanks much for the reply and anything else I need to know I'm certainly ready to learn. Since this is new you can imagine we are excited so we have no plans of cutting any corners.

So I guess it's safe to say that I should be using liquid chlorine and completely forget the auto chlorinator
Not really. As you learn the FC/CYA relationship and the affect that tabs put on it, you will learn to MANAGE your pool chemistry so you can conveniently use the pucks when necessary.

I know we are harping on you to read Pool School but it's the place to start. Read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry".

Thanks duraleigh! I did read the pool school and can see it's a great resource. I am looking for advice for initial start up and that's what everyone has provided. I appreciate all the input and will see how it goes. I wasn't certain if there was some basic starting point such as with tap water add X amount per volume etc. Plus ideas for anything special during start up, which again was provided.

Thanks again and I look forward to learning about this entire process and being a part of this site.

I stand corrected and apologize. I did read "The ABC's" but I failed to see the link at the bottom of the pool school. (actually suspected/hoped there was much more) Anyway I'm going to peruse that and start my learning process.

Thanks again and if..oh..a...when I need more help expect I'll come screaming!! ;)

Cheers!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.