New Pool and Looking Forward to Keeping it Swimmable Year-round

The reason I was aiming for 1 FC was based on what I have read from the WHO on using lower chlorine when combined with UV treatment. I'm not sure how much this article has been tested in real world environments
Hello, I'm new here too, pool finished about a month ago in Austin. I started lurking on this site towards the end of my construction and I too had plans to keep my FC at around .5 or 1 with my fancy UV/Ozone scooberdoober based on stuff I had read.... was even doing it until the sun really came out and my battle plan met the real world. Long story short, I turned mine off after three ish weeks and just continued to use liquid chlorine (never even started with pucks based on what I read here).

I plan to see if someone wants to take it off my hands for few bucks and put that towards my SWG that's in my not so distant future. Just my .02

Reactions: Newdude
I plan to see if someone wants to take it off my hands for few bucks
Post it on the offerup app, FB marketplace and Craigslist. If the prices stay high and availability low, you can get what you paid for it for most almost new equipment, and quick.

Wanted to give an update. I listened to everyone’s advice and kept the chloride levels up using only liquid chlorine. Had to drain and dilute some when I realized that added too much chlorine stabilizer before the summer started. Been testing 4-5x per week, if not daily, and I have not had to deal with the pool turning green of fighting off any algae. Tested today and all my levels are spot on without having had to add anything since last night. Thanks for the feedback and we’ve really been enjoying the pool!

IMG_9308.png

Reactions: SumOfOneInteger
I did add 32 oz of chlorine tonight to get it back close to 5ppm.
You can expect to lose 3 to 4 ppm per *day* in TX this time of year.

Obviously it starts high after dosing and then burns off. So anywhere in target range isn't ok, if that doesn't leave you enough wiggle room after the daily loss. Dose over target range, to fall back into it with the loss instead of starting mid target range and landing below it. As an infrequent goof, you'll probably be fine. If you're underdosing everyday, you're all but guaranteed a swamp in the near future.

I did add 32 oz of chlorine tonight to get it back close to 5ppm.
What @Newdude said...you should dose to get back to 7. Keep it in the top end of the range when you dose, and don't let it get close to minimum (i.e. 3.5) when you test. Let's stay out of algae territory...

Reactions: Brian PacNW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.