New pool, algae, numbers...

Ok so I thought I was getting better, but today when I swept the pool, large clouds of green come up. Now I have checked my FC everyday since I started this post. I brush it everyday. I have kept the pool at shock level or a little higher (16 to 20) since starting this post. Saturday it drop to 12 but I raised ASAP. I have back washed the filter several times and water coming out is only slightly cloudy, no green. I have less than 1 FC loss and CC of 0.5 for the past 4 nights. The water looks about the same as the above pictures, if not worse. What is my next step. Should I add DE to my sand filter? Where can I purchase it in NC?

Jphan said:
Ok so I thought I was getting better, but today when I swept the pool, large clouds of green come up. Now I have checked my FC everyday since I started this post. I brush it everyday. I have kept the pool at shock level or a little higher (16 to 20) since starting this post. Saturday it drop to 12 but I raised ASAP. I have back washed the filter several times and water coming out is only slightly cloudy, no green. I have less than 1 FC loss and CC of 0.5 for the past 4 nights. The water looks about the same as the above pictures, if not worse. What is my next step. Should I add DE to my sand filter? Where can I purchase it in NC?

Last question first:

I'm in Charlotte. I have seen DE at Leslie's and at Home Depot. I have forgotten to look at Lowe's. I have not looked at WalMart or Target. These are all places I would try.

Don't freak out yet. Sand filters (per this site) can take up to a week to clear up cloudy water. Adding DE will potentially speed up the process. However this will also make it more important to watch your pressure as it may build up more quickly.

If you think you need to increase the shock level you can - up to mustard algae levels is safe.

I can do that. What about my next post concerning the pictures posted by another post. I have that on the bottom and it makes a green cloud when I brush it. Could it be my trees? I have about 15 close, dogwoods, oak, maple and gum trees.

Are you vacuming daily? Leaves tend to leave tanins where they may rest, but not green clouds and even less likely if the filter is running 24/7.

Have you reconfirmed your CYA level lately? If you could post an actual pic of the debris you are mentioning, we may be able to assist better.

Well I check all my numbers yesterday and they were still good, keeping pool at shock level for a week. MY FC loss and CC were spot on for the over night test since last week. I decided to get some DE and what do you know, its finally starting to clear up. I think I am getting more debrish than the sand filter can keep up with. Those things are slow! I am having to backwash and re-add DE about every 1.5 hours and the water coming out of the filter is brownish green. My wife is impatient!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.