New pool 9mx3,2m, help with layout and equipment

martocsan

Aug 27, 2023
Romania
Hey guys,
Amazing forum you got here. Spent few hours looking what people talked about.
I want to build a pool 900x320cm, I know probably you are used with inch metrics, but maybe you can help.
pool will be made from concrete.

So, I have few questions.

1. What type of skimmers should I use? Square or rectangle, and does the size matter?

watermark1-550x550w.jpgSKIMMER-CONCRETE-15LITERS.jpg

2. Skimmers can be right at the top of the pool like this one?

Screenshot 2023-08-27 at 11.00.33.png

3. The layout I provided attached is ok? IF not, how far from the corner should skimmers and return jet be.

4. The return jets how low should it be bellow water surface? The water surface I know it should be in the middle of skimmer.

5. I plan to use a pipe for each return jet, one for drains - will be combined on same pipe, one for each skimmer, and one for the vacuum, is not in the layout yet. I understood that the 63mm pipes, I think thats 2.5 is a good choice.

6. The plan is to use a sand filter and a pump either from Astral Pool or Hayward. I see many options and recommendations, what size it should be? The water is around 35 cubic feet.

7. The stairs I plan to build will be in corner, top left corner, in that case, do I need to move the return jet?

Screenshot 2023-08-27 at 11.06.59.png

Welcome to TFP.

Your layout was not attached. Just the corner steps and the skimmer photos.

Placement of your 2 skimmers is more important. Determine the prevailing wind direction and ensure 1 skimmer is on that far wall. Sometimes 2 skimmers can be placed on a long wall or have the 2nd skimmer diagonal from the 1st skimmer so if wind is mixed the debris can still be captured.

Size does matter for filter. Get the largest sand filter that fits your area and budget. Will you be purchasing a variable speed pump? Getting a high HP pump is fine - like 3 HP. A VS pump run at lower speed is more energy efficient and still moves lots of water

Returns should be placed to create circulation and to push debris to the skimmers. Having one return shoot across steps is fine as it may help keep them clean. Average depth for return jets are 18inches (45 cm). Some put several deep returns deeper to circulate the deep end if it is a deep pool or to move warm water to the bottom if you have a heater..

Is your pool 35 cu ft or cu meter? You have 29 sq meters of surface area.

How will you chlorinate your pool? What access to chlorine do you have? A saltwater chlorine generator (SWCG) makes it easier to maintain a constant level of chlorine in your pool with a VS pump running at low speed. The alternative will be liquid chlorine (LC).

Reactions: martocsan
Tha ks for your reply, bwfore puting the skimmer i checked the wind and looks like that is a good fir for my zone.

Is 35 cubic meters as is 9 meter long, 3.2 width and 1.3 deep in medium.

Regarding pump and filter still learning what would be the best option.

Return jets next to the skimmers will create a short circuit between water coming out of your returns and getting sucked back into the skimmer with poor circulation in the middle of the pool.

Better to put your two skimmers on one long side of the pool splitting it in thirds and put the four returns on the opposite side of the pool. Then you have circulation across all the water from one side to the other.

Tha ks for your reply, bwfore puting the skimmer i checked the wind and looks like that is a good fir for my zone.

Is 35 cubic meters as is 9 meter long, 3.2 width and 1.3 deep in medium.

Regarding pump and filter still learning what would be the best option.
Thanks. So this is about 10,000 gals and Depth ranging from 4 to 4.5ft.
The position of the skimmers looks good.
I would rotate the returns such that the return is on the opposite side pushing towards your skimmer.
Also the one directly left of the skimmer be on adjacent wall so the return pushes across the skimmer face (not away from it)
Same for returns on the right side of pool

Return jets next to the skimmers will create a short circuit between water coming out of your returns and getting sucked back into the skimmer with poor circulation in the middle of the pool.

Better to put your two skimmers on one long side of the pool splitting it in thirds and put the four returns on the opposite side of the pool. Then you have circulation across all the water from one side to the other.
I had read many topics, and at one of them, someone from the team I think said he would fire the guy who made such a setup, and is better to have return jets to move water in a circle instead of from one side of the pool to other. As that could make sense put 2 up at 45cm and 2 lower so all the dirt and debrid goes to skimmers and main drains. Also steve, one of the most known youtubers provide a similar layout i posted. So ... I don't know what to say. Any link to some documentation or testing done on both scenarios?

Last edited:
Here are the examples I tried to follow, one is from this forum.

I think such a setup is better for you pushing out debris from all corners.

Attachments

• IMG_3160.jpeg
    IMG_3160.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3159.jpeg
    IMG_3159.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I had read many topics, and at one of them, someone from the team I think said he would fire the guy who made such a setup, and is better to have return jets to move water in a circle instead of from one side of the pool to other. As that could make sense put 2 up at 45cm and 2 lower so all the dirt and debrid goes to skimmers and main drains. Also steve, one of the most known youtubers provide a similar layout i posted. So ... I don't know what to say. Any link to some documentation or testing done on both scenarios?

Do what you want.

You can find examples of everything on the Internet.

You are overthinking this. Keep it simple.

It is a nice idea for return jets to move water in a circle. Return jets don't have enough force to really do that.

Your surface winds will have more of an effect on the way water moves in your pool then the return jets.

Thanks to all who do their best to explain to me why one way is better than the other, as so far i haven't found any tests made to see which option should be better. Ao you agree with previous answer to put all 4 on side and 2 skimmers on other side?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.